Options

1959 Jefferson Shaving Rash

Is This An Error Of Some Type?

Comments

• Options
    Looks like it could be die erosion.
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I think it's very telling of your potential collection... with a name of Harry and a coin that is hairy. image

okay, now for the coin.

I haven't seen a coin with that kind of situation before, so I may not be the definitive answer on the coin.

I do believe it's some kind of damage, potentially post mint.

Maybe one of the error gurus will come along and give the definitive answer...

Good luck.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Taking another look at it, the way the jaw is indented along that line it might be better explained as a planchet weakness in the area.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I'm with EdDcunki on this one -

it is had to envision a die problem causing that indent

most likely a lamination error on planchet that happenes to be on the jawline

or also a slim chance of some sort of strike through
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it's from a worn/overused die;
    a fairly common occurance during those
    years - late 50's up to 1964 or so.........

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a bad suture jobimage.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worn die is what it looks like. But that is just me. image

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file