Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

coins

Comments

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I WOULD BE PISSED IF SOMEONE ON THIS BOARD PMED THE SELLER AND OFFERED HIM MORE UNDER YOU. THAT WOULD BE MESSED UP AND I BET THAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED!! SHAME ON WHOEVER DID THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erroroncoins, try and find out who it was and out THEM!!!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES paid in FULL
  • Options
    do whatever you can to get the coin from the seller! Also find out who bought it and out them so they can be shunned! If the seller doesn't care and takes the neg, I'd bid on every item of theres and not pay for it. Sounds childish but this is unbelievable!!!

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>I WOULD BE PISSED IF SOMEONE ON THIS BOARD PMED THE SELLER AND OFFERED HIM MORE UNDER YOU. THAT WOULD BE MESSED UP AND I BET THAT MIGHT HAVE HAPPENED!! SHAME ON WHOEVER DID THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erroroncoins, try and find out who it was and out THEM!!!! >>

I do not get to many shows, all my work is on the internet.

I will be looking for this coin.

All of you remember this coin and keep a eye out for it at shows.

This person needs to be outed.

I feel like sure a fool for asking for help.

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    It would seem to me that, perhaps, someone who did find out 'after the fact'. I'm trying to be nice and not say someone here threw you under the bus, but, if it quacks like a duck.....

I feel for you, ErrorsOn.....and I would press the seller. Regardless, you got the short end of the stick.

edited: IF it in fact WAS someone out here, they SHOULD be outed.

This is from 'left field', but perhaps the seller saw the subject coin discussed here? Long-shot, but.....?
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options
    Erroroncoins, how much did you pay for this coin? Perhaps the seller thought he or she put the BIN low? If thats the case maybe they want more money. In that case its wrong of them but maybe work with them on some kind of $$$$ that would make them happy. Still wrong but it happens were sellers priced a item too low.

However, I'm suspecting someone contacted them and told them to sell it to them for more and for the seller to just say they don't want to sell to you.

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    There may be many reasons the seller wants out of the deal.

What was the sellers reason for wanting to cancel the transaction

I hope it all works out for you.

Here is link:

eBay auction

Joe
  • Options
    ahhhh I see the auction now. Perhaps someone informed the seller as to the rarity and possible value and told the seller to put it up for auction not BIN so it could be fair for those that missed it OR gave the seller a substantially higher offer over 300 bucks.

• Options
    Not a coin sale in sight from that seller. Looks like someone needs to be outed here.....
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>ahhhh I see the auction now. Perhaps someone informed the seller as to the rarity and possible value and told the seller to put it up for auction not BIN so it could be fair for those that missed it OR gave the seller a substantially higher offer over 300 bucks. >>

Either way it's auction interference and IMNSHO unethical. I've seen it happen over and over again and now I know, never count your chickens until they've all come home to roost. The times I've been fortunate enough to make a big cherrypick, almost no one here knows about it until I can post my own pictures.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now this is really uncool.

The seller just requested to cancel this transaction.

My guess is one of you offered him more, Very uncool, very unethical if so.

It is possible the seller, may have wanted to cancel this on his own, but i do have to wonder.....

I rejected his cancel, he will get negged if he does not follow through.

I should not have posted this thread.

I was looking for information and help.

I may of @#$*)! myself.

no more asking for help....

shame >>

WOW... This happened to me once I was excited and posted an error on here with the sellers images right after I won it. I was told a few days later that he lost the parcel getting out of his car in the rain on the way into the Post Office. 6 months later it resurfaced on EBay with another seller at an ask of 3 times my won amount. Lesson learned don't post your rips until you have them in hand! image

Edited for Spelling image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    That's a real shame!

There are, I'm sure, alot of folks that "lurk" these forums but have never became members.

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is truly a shame if you are unable to complete the transaction because some member here offered the guy more money.image Some people have no sense of fair play.Its like they have forgotten everything their momma taught them.

Doesn't the seller have a legal obligation to deliver the goods to you especially since you paid before he decided he wanted to cancel the transaction? Or is that ebay talk about a contract between buyer and seller just a bunch of horsepuckey?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

<< <i>Doesn't the seller have a legal obligation to deliver the goods to you especially since you paid before he decided he wanted to cancel the transaction? Or is that ebay talk about a contract between buyer and seller just a bunch of horsepuckey? >>

No the seller can just state that the item was lost and as long as there's a full refund to the buyer there's no further obligations.
  • Options
    Jumping to conclusions.

Maybe the seller is just a turd and was surprised by the relatively low sale price?

Maybe they opened their eyes and saw what the coins are really worth?
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    There is nothing really Errorsoncoins can do right? I mean besides a negative? What about a lawsuit? Probably not worth it????

That sucks that this happened to a nice guy like him!

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where are the bag marks that plague Ike? Too neat and clean.

Edt to add...not an expert. >>

A lot of what folks feel are "bag marks" on IKE's are actually annealing marks left over from the strike on these hard copper nickel planchets.
    These planchets are incredibly hard!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Could be that someone he knew reads the forum.

I wouldn't accept the cancel.
    Ed
  • Options

<< <i>Jumping to conclusions.

Maybe the seller is just a turd and was surprised by the relatively low sale price?

Maybe they opened their eyes and saw what the coins are really worth? >>

The coin was purchased with a Buy It Now, so the price should not have been a surprise. As for the second comment, that's the sort of thing you're supposed to do before you list a coin for sale at a fixed price, not after someone has paid you for it.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    "Very Nasty Seller Item not received. Filed Claim"

This isn't proof of anything but the above is some negative feedback the seller received about a week ago.

Also, a good point was made that the guilty one wouldn't have to be a member here,could be just a lurker.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    This is a nauseating turn of events. I guess the lesson is not to broadcast questions but to direct them to individual experts you trust. The other lesson would be not to discuss a monster bargain until the coin is in the mail.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    dirtbag!!! more than just an outting is required
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    its like the twilight zone ep in the diner where everyone accuses the other of being the alien
  • Options
    Maybe they opened their eyes and saw what the coins are really worth?

Seller hasn't sold a single coin at least 90 days. Looks like there was a backstabber who at least lurks here, if not a full-on member.

This is a personal viewpoint......

I lurked awhile before joining...I know that people have their differences here, get into verbal brawls here, finger-point here, denegrate here, he!!, even rip people off here on BST deals (I am NOT condoning that, nor am I making that 'crime' less than this...but an intentional rip-off is already planned, this type of rip-off is an 'after the fact' type of thing, but just as bad, as in my opinion, even though ErrorsOn got his money back, there certainly was a sizeable amount taken from him, as that Ike is, IMO ((not an IKE or error guy here)), worth way more than the $300 it was bought for)...but I never would have thought one would go as far as to undermine another member who did some hard work (I would have never delved any further with this auction based on the chosen first image, as a few have already said...I actually would have chuckled that he was out of his mind for the relatively minor errors he imaged first....that first image was definitely not worthy of the BIN by FAR).

ErrorsOn is trying to get his site's inventory built up (there's some nice stuff he's got there and there's one or two I may/will pick-uo from there). The seller OBVIOUSLY didn't know what he had. My money is on the 'someone on these boards, lurker or member' theory, and that's just wrong. I would never have thought one would have to wait till something was 'in hand' before they could brag about it (bragging in this case is NOT a bad thing, and this would have been very worthy of a 'You Suck').

I will keep this one in mind and check errors/Ikes just for this one. I never peruse Ikes (again, I'm not an Ike guy), and check errors only for a select few series (and even a more selectful date range of these series). This one is definitely on my 'watch for' list......the perpatrator that went behind ErrorsOn back will be discovered and outed, eventually (unless it's kept in a collection forever).

edited to remove a potentially helpful (to the snake) statement

re-edited to change 'perpatrator' back to snake, as thats what this person is
  • Options
    As far as not accepting the cancel, thats a non-factoring issue. Whether ErrorsOn accepts it or not, the seller is NOT going to sell it to him. His feedback won't be worth a crap, but his pocket will be stuffed with more $$, thanks to the slithering snake from this forum, that submarined ErrorsOn.

disclaimer: I do not know ErrorsOn, have never dealt with him, never corresponded with him (only making the disclaimer as I've posted to this thread more than all others combined since I registered). I'm only commenting on this topic so frequently because I'm so shocked at the behavior of some here. As I said earlier, this place isn't a 'love fest' all the time, but there should be a modicum of respect for others. This incident has proven nothing is sacred. I'll never bring up a potential 'rip' until it's in hand, which is a shame, as the excitement level just isn't the same. Couldn't you just sense ErrorsOn excitement when he was seeeking that 'it's real, you done a good job' pat on the back? Jeesh, this sucks...ErrorsOn, you got the shaft, and have my most sincere condolences. This should teach us all a lesson, unfortunately.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    It is always better to have the coin in hand first before showing it to everyone and asking questions.image
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    FYI, this wasn't the only forum where this auction was being discussed, at least one other message board I subscribe to was abuzz this morning as well. There's no way of knowing if the person(s) who contacted the seller read about it here.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    seanq, you make a valid point, and I shouldn't automatically accuse someone HERE of being a snake. But, was it discussed only after ErrorsOn discussed it on the other forum(s)? Regardless of what forum it came from, there is a snake on one of them. Thanks for pointing out it was discussed somewhere else. I'll keep ALL my purchases on the QT till they are in hand.
  • Options
    I once sold an item on ebay to a guy who listed the item for sale there before I could even ship it! He took one of the images of the item he "won" from me and distorted it so the coin wouldn't appear to be the one he had just bought but did not have physical possession of.The coin was upgraded by him in his auction to an AU.The truth of the matter is that it was only a VF,a nice VF to be sure, but no way would a knowledgeable collector call it AU.He raised the auction price accordingly to fit his bogus grade for the coin.

I was irritated about this and toyed with the idea of notifying him that I could not locate the item so would be unable to deliver it to him. It then occurred to me that my behavior would be as reprehensible as his (I learned long ago,at an early age, that it is wrong to LIE) if I didn't proceed to complete the transaction.

I didn't even get a feedback from him. In fact,I found that he had a consistent record of not giving feedback to anyone he bought from on ebay.

Food for thought:

The seller had a BIN of $300 for these "error stampings." This seems like a high price to put on a group of items that wouldn't appear to be worth all that much to the typical uninformed seller.

If it were me,I would push this deal as far as I could with ebay.Maybe ebay can compel this seller to complete the transaction.
    Be sure to document all communication with the seller.Above all,don't make any threats.

Good luck.

• Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    I'd ask the seller if the legal fees to defend himself in a lawsuit are worth the risk.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see if he already sold it or if it goes up for auction.

Ed
  • Options

<< <i>I'd ask the seller if the legal fees to defend himself in a lawsuit are worth the risk. >>

And the basis for such a lawsuit would be what?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Congrats on the find, but it is a shame how things have turned sour. I hope you get the coin - If someone here did offer a substantial amount more and caused you to loose it this that is pretty bad. But at the same time you have to remember this is a public forum - any lurker could have easily done this too. image

Like Broadstruck said it's best to show purchases after they have been received.

Good luck.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I bet some A$$ emailed the seller a link to this thread. This really makes me mad. image
  • Options
    I couldn't find the listing until 08HALA20 posted the link. It is one heck of a pick-up as based on the title, and pics of the Jefferson Nickel's not many including myself would have ever clicked on the auction. The sellers description as miscast and no refund option would have turned many off also.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you should have an accomplice offer $5000 for the coins and see what they say.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    For all future rippers - make sure you have the coin in hand before announcing the rip.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It looks genuine to me also; the reeding on the
    reverse is exactly where you would expect it.

I believe I saw the original listing that showed
    four common errors - I never clicked the listing
    to see the other scan that included the Ike.

If I had, I would have bookmarked it, and bid
    very very strong. It's an incredible error, and
    extremely rare for an Ike.

Congrat's to the sharp-eyed bidder/buyer !! >>

Well...looks like I was wrong. Thanks, Fred. It still looks weird...

Sorry to hear about the transaction being canceled. I feel your frustration and anger. The seller may have been lurking and realized the value was much more than anticipated.

Better luck next time and what happened is likely the reason why few people post "finds" until they have the coin in hand.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jumping to conclusions.

Maybe they opened their eyes and saw what the coins are really worth? >>

Maybe the seller is a member of this forum!

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    no she is not into coins.

some contacted her.

• Options
    It appears that she did receive offers after the fact by some forum member(s).

At least thats what was posted.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    it looks like positive feedback was left for the buyer...
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    Hard lesson learned, never post your score till you get it in hand as others have said. I've seen situations like this many time. I've never been that unlucky, but I always wait till I get the coin first. I am very sorry to hear of your loss as well, especially if it turned out to be the real deal.

Good luck if you decide to pursue it further.
  • Options

<< <i>it looks like positive feedback was left for the buyer... >>

Yep. This is the feedback the seller left for CTF Error Coins re the $300 transaction:

SAW A GOOD BUY. ITEMS WORTH WAY MORE, DEAL WAS MADE AND WE STUCK TO IT. AAA+++
  • Options
    SAW A GOOD BUY. ITEMS WORTH WAY MORE, DEAL WAS MADE AND WE STUCK TO IT. AAA+++ Left For: ctf_error_coins ( 2469) Nov-03-09 01:12
    unknown (#270478513027)

• Options
    Did the seller stick to it? I hope the seller stuck to it BUT I also hope that EOC offered more money because she didn't have to stick to the original price at all.

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>Did the seller stick to it? I hope the seller stuck to it BUT I also hope that EOC offered more money because she didn't have to stick to the original price at all. >>

Well that's just a silly statement. How do you arrive at that conclusion?
  • Options

<< <i>SAW A GOOD BUY. ITEMS WORTH WAY MORE, DEAL WAS MADE AND WE STUCK TO IT. AAA+++ Left For: ctf_error_coins ( 2469) Nov-03-09 01:12
    unknown (#270478513027) >>

Might have gotten yourself all worked up for nothing as maybe Pam will be following though image

Kepping my fingers and toes crossed for ya buddy! image
  • Options
    Casman read above some more. People are saying that the seller left feedback for EOC.

• Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the real "error" was the thread in the first place? image

Sounds like your coin might just show up afterall... Congrats!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file