Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

unusual tooling on '54-S Jeff Updated 9-14 w/photo

gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 14, 2020 3:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

First time submitting a photo. This Jefferson has had me puzzled for years due to what looks like artistic tooling on the bottom of numbers/letters. Die deterioration? I cannot find any info so I'm asking the pro's. Reverse lettering is normal.

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what to make of that. It's skillfully done.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Kranky, it's definitely not post-mint. I'm wondering if the Mint ever experimented with ornate serifs on the motto and date.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to know to. So, ttt for further professional information.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i agree the coin was struck that way.......you will sometimes see this on the base of the letters on IHC's

not the best pic but check the bottom of the letters on this broadstruck IHC:

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    in the above photo (sorry out of focus) it is most prominent on the "I" and "F" and "T" letters

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    I'll be interested to hear what CaptHenway has to say.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta think this one over before responding...interesting.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Thanks gents. I'm glad to see the coin sparking an interest. I too would like to hear what the good Cap'n sez.
  • Options
    Each serif on the bottom of those letters and numbers is consistent with the use of just one engraving tool. I'm thinking that an apprentice engraver used this nickel's lettering and numbers to practice their trade.

I do believe this to be post mint tool engraving.

In any case, pretty unique.
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why put it on the 4 twice?

and is a curve on the 9 and 5 clipped off?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I agree with post mint damage (ornamental decoration)

gonzer - what makes you say it was minted that way?
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to get more closeups with better detail? My guess is pmd tooling but would like to see more pics.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    thinking about this a little more, i still stand by my thought that it was minted this way and it is merely a striking issue......again, sorry for the dreadful pics of the IHC above but it was the first coin that came to mind, as i remember seeing this same phenonmenon on the lettering of that coin under the loupe

i think this thread will have some error guys chime in as i know i have seen Washington Quarters exhibit this when they were either broadstruck, a hammered strike, or struck unevenly (or any combination thereof)

also it would be interesting to bring some of the Hobo Nickel carvers into this discussion to see if they feel this could be done (with this precision) on a coin's lettering.......they would be experts on whether or not the metal would move in this manner

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kranky, it's definitely not post-mint. I'm wondering if the Mint ever experimented with ornate serifs on the motto and date. >>

gonzer, What in particular makes you believe this is not post-mint? The hobo nickel carvers were the first thing I thought of when
    I saw your image. Shag
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a strike issue; not post mint nor a die issue. On early US coinage it was (a long time ago) called bifurcation. Oddly, I forget the exact cause. Pure speculation suggests insufficient die/blank contact coin to strike up the ends of the letters.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    It's an effect of metal flow. As to what conditions led to the metal flow, I can't be sure. If the coin is not a broadstrike, then perhaps the planchet was inadequately upset. I occasionally encounter metal flow in coins that are struck in-collar. Sometimes it's associated with grease, but there's no evidence of a grease strike that I can see.
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    I'll take the coin in Monday to someone who can get a shot of the detail more accurately. In the meantime thanks for all your opinions guys. Will post up later.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears that only about 1/2 of the star is there.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    What are the scuff marks on Jefferson's periwig and coat? They look like areas where some sort of plating has rubbed off.

• Options
    Took the coin to the only B&M around and after a quick glance through his loupe declared "I see nothing strange about it, just a normal nickel." Held my tongue and left. I'll give another try with the camera but are there any other options available to me? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    try Ken Potter with CONECA

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    Thanks Greg.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, I just noticed some similar letters on this Bust dollar.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it's a strike issue; not post mint nor a die issue. On early US coinage it was (a long time ago) called bifurcation. Oddly, I forget the exact cause. Pure speculation suggests insufficient die/blank contact coin to strike up the ends of the letters. >>

Right. Bifurcation usually occurs at the base of a line, such as the upright of a B, that runs outwards towards the rim. During the strike the metal in the planchet has to move outwards (towards the rim) and upwards or downwards into the lettering and/or numbers near the rim.

This occurs simultaneously during the first fraction of the actual strike, so that the metal flowing into (for example) the B cascades over the bottom edge of the letter and skips over the base of the letter, leaving a void. Only when the rest of the letter is filled with metal, and the planchet has stopped expanding because it is solidly up against the collar, does the planchet metal "back up" into the base of the letter, filling that void.

If the strike is inadequate you may not get this "backing up" at the end of the strike. It is not unusual on Bust halves and dollars because the coins were struck without collars, making it harder for the metal to back up into the lettering.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Thank you Cap'n. You say this is not an unusual occurrence in the Bust half series but what about modern coinage? I've had "loupe-eye" for 30+ years and this is the only example I've seen in the modern era.
  • Options
    That is rather exceptional bifurcation for a modern coin that isn't either broadstruck or on a clipped planchet.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    If it is an issue with metal flow during striking, is it strange that it would only affect the left bottom edge of the "L" and the "E"?

• Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Another possibility is that we're dealing with a minor elliptical clip. How much does the coin weigh?
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options

<< <i>If it is an issue with metal flow during striking, is it strange that it would only affect the left bottom edge of the "L" and the "E"? >>

As I said: Bifurcation usually occurs at the base of a line, such as the upright of a B, that runs outwards towards the rim.

The uprights of the L and E are the same as the upright of the B. These radial channels carry the metal flow outwards away from the base of the upright.
    The thinner horizontal lines coming off of the bases of the uprights fill differently.

TD
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First time submitting a photo. This Jefferson has had me puzzled for years due to what looks like artistic tooling on the bottom of numbers/letters. Die deterioration? I cannot find any info so I'm asking the pro's. Reverse lettering is normal.

image >>

I'm going against the crowd and saying that it is simply artistic tooling at the bottom of numbers/letters.

Why was this done?

Who knows -- probably an engraver or jeweler trying out a new technique or practicing on an object of little value, or one who simply had an idle 15 minutes to kill. Later the coin was just spent, either by accident or on purpose.

Neat discussion item, though.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>First time submitting a photo. This Jefferson has had me puzzled for years due to what looks like artistic tooling on the bottom of numbers/letters. Die deterioration? I cannot find any info so I'm asking the pro's. Reverse lettering is normal.

image >>

I'm going against the crowd and saying that it is simply artistic tooling at the bottom of numbers/letters.

Why was this done?

Who knows -- probably an engraver or jeweler trying out a new technique or practicing on an object of little value, or one who simply had an idle 15 minutes to kill. Later the coin was just spent, either by accident or on purpose.

Neat discussion item, though. >>

I respectfully disagree. Notice how the center corner of the 5 is affected in a different way by the same phenomenon. Somebody cutting notches at the bottoms of the characters would not have cut the 5 like this.
    TD
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I respectfully disagree. Notice how the center corner of the 5 is affected in a different way by the same phenomenon. Somebody cutting notches at the bottoms of the characters would not have cut the 5 like this.
    TD >>

Why not?

The 9 is also done similarly to the 5. It's all too perfectly matched. If this was a die problem it wouldn't be this perfect and consistent on every letter and digit. I vote tooled, definitely, and frankly it looks fairly obvious- to me at least. I am surprised so many supposedly knowledgeable people seen to think otherwise.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Each serif on the bottom of those letters and numbers is consistent with the use of just one engraving tool. I'm thinking that an apprentice engraver used this nickel's lettering and numbers to practice their trade.

I do believe this to be post mint tool engraving.

In any case, pretty unique. >>

I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another possibility is that we're dealing with a minor elliptical clip. How much does the coin weigh? >>

Perhaps a wrong planchet error might explain it as well if the planchet
    were a little too small to get upset.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    All are absolutely entitled to their opinions, but I am finding it pretty funny that some persist in the tooling argument even when CapnHenwy has provided such an elegant explanation!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>All are absolutely entitled to their opinions, but I am finding it pretty funny that some persist in the tooling argument even when CapnHenwy has provided such an elegant explanation! >>

Indeed.

OP, please weigh, measure and post.

ed - sp
    "spot on my UHR, nevermind, I wiped it off"
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had an interesting conversation HERE about notching on the lettering of a CBH
    This was an interesting read.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I have a morgan dollar which is broadstruck where the letters look similar to your nickel.

I called them 'dips and curves'.

Fred Weinberg replied and stated:

"I believe what you're referring to as
    "dips and curves" is metal flow, which
    pulls the lettering toward the edge of
    the coin, because it's not seated fully
    in the collar."

Is your coin mistruck at all?
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    Thanks for link JRoc. Interesting opinions here, all I can add is that the surface of the coin shows no sign of being tooled after striking. I will have it properly weighed and photographed by a jeweler friend since there are no B&M's around save for the yay-hoo who glanced at it. Have a good weekend all.
  • Options
    It's just excessive metal flow near the edge.

Usually seen on coins struck without a collar. Look at coins struck at the mint before collars were used and you'll see this all the time. Or look at broadstruck coins.

The metal flows towards the edge of the coin when struck. If there is no collar, the metal can not be pushed up enough to fill in the die recesses to fully strike up.

Very normal striking characteristic where there is excessive metal flow.
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    My opinion sides with the post-mint crew. With the one picture, I see no reason an engraver would place that extra engraving in the cross bar of the "4". It has no purpose nore has any artistic value. It actually ruins the look. No one can convince me this is metal flow. Each indent is too perfect!

I would still like to see the whole obverse and reverse, as best gonzer can take them. I think we will see other markers that will confirm this opinion.

Dowgie
  • Options

<< <i>All are absolutely entitled to their opinions, but I am finding it pretty funny that some persist in the tooling argument even when CapnHenwy has provided such an elegant explanation! >>

You can lead a dog to the toilet, but you cannot make him drink......

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

You can lead a dog to the toilet, but you cannot make him drink......

image >>

imageimage
  • Options
    For now I will buy CaptHenway’s explanation of bifurcation, but if this is a common occurrence, how come we don’t see more of this type of error (is it an error?) on more modern coinage.

Also, for this to be a striking issue, it sure is well defined. The physics involved to create this specific wedge shaped pattern is beyond my comprehension.
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options

<< <i>For now I will buy CaptHenway’s explanation of bifurcation, but if this is a common occurrence, how come we don’t see more of this type of error (is it an error?) on more modern coinage.

Also, for this to be a striking issue, it sure is well defined. The physics involved to create this specific wedge shaped pattern is beyond my comprehension. >>

This is quite unusual on modern coinage.
    We need to know the weight of the piece, to eliminate the possibility that it was struck on a slightly smaller foreign planchet.

TD
  • Options

bump

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    bump

Would you also "bump" the missing photo of the subject coin?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somehow I missed this thread eleven years ago..... I sure wish those pictures had survived. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you also "bump" the missing photo of the subject coin?

that image is most likely gone forever, but you can open the IHC a few replies after the OP. right click and "open in another tab" to see what was being discussed, paying attention to the letters F-R-I-T or any letter with a straight leg as TD has mentioned. that is where the metal flow problem is most exaggerated.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file