Home Sports Talk
Options

Bob Griese apologizes for "taco" comment

COLUMBUS, OHIO — Bob Griese apologized twice Saturday for a remark he made about NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya while announcing the Gophers-Ohio State football game.

During the telecast, during a promotion for coverage of NASCAR's Chase for the Championship, a graphic listed the top five drivers in points, and fellow analyst Chris Spielman asked where Montoya -- a Colombian who dropped out of the top five last week -- was. Griese, the former Purdue and Miami Dolphins quarterback, replied that he was "out having a taco."

As the telecast was wrapping up, Griese apologized for the remark and said that Montoya is one of the best drivers in NASCAR. He later apologized again during ESPN's coverage of Florida-Mississippi State.

In a statement, ESPN called the remark "inappropriate."

"ESPN has spoken to Bob and he understands that his comment was uncalled for," the statement said.

Comments

• Options
    If a German guy won and Griese said he's going to have a beer, is that a problem ?
    If an American won, and he said he's going to get a hot dog, would that have been a problem ?
    If a Frenchman won, and he said he's going to get some wine, would that have been a problem ?
  • Options

<< <i>If a German guy won and Griese said he's going to have a beer, is that a problem ?
    If an American won, and he said he's going to get a hot dog, would that have been a problem ?
    If a Frenchman won, and he said he's going to get some wine, would that have been a problem ? >>

Montoya is Columbian, not Mexican.

I really am not offended but at least cite the correct cuisine.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Griese went 17-0 in 72, he should be able to say whatever he wants, unless it something bad about Bear Bryant. Then it would be on and I would have to send out some goons to break his legs
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If a German guy won and Griese said he's going to have a beer, is that a problem ?
    If a Frenchman won, and he said he's going to get some wine, would that have been a problem ? >>

Montoya is Columbian, not Mexican.

I really am not offended but at least cite the correct cuisine. >>

So "he was out gettin coked up" would have been appropriate
  • Options
    What if he said he was going to have some coffee with Juan Valdez??? image

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with what he said. I can not stand the ultra liberal politically correct mindset that has a strangle hold on all and its getting worse.

Now, if he said the greasy wetback is out robbing taco bells to pay for a fleet of new lawnmowers I would then have a problem with it.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing wrong with what he said. I can not stand the ultra liberal politically correct mindset that has a strangle hold on all and its getting worse.

Now, if he said the greasy wetback is out robbing taco bells to pay for a fleet of new lawnmowers I would then have a problem with it. >>

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, if he said the greasy wetback is out robbing taco bells to pay for a fleet of new lawnmowers I would then have a problem with it. >>

It's okay. I robbed all the greasy wetbacks, that robbed taco bell, to pay for all my lawnmowers.

It all balanced out.
  • Options
    IMO today's society is overly Politically correct. I see absolutely nothing wrong with his comment. Just poking fun at him with a joke, it wasn't personal.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Griese meant it maliciously, but it was inappropriate for a televised broadcast. I think Griese realized that which is why he apologized.

Was it appropriate for Fuzzy Zoeller to say that he hoped Tiger Woods didn't order fried chicken and collard greens "or whatever the hell they serve" for the Masters menu?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Nothing wrong with what he said. I can not stand the ultra liberal politically correct mindset that has a strangle hold on all and its getting worse. >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>It's okay. I robbed all the greasy wetbacks, that robbed taco bell, to pay for all my lawnmowers.

It all balanced out. >>

Matt,

You forgot to add: That you then mowed Taco Bell's lawn and got paid mucho dinero.image

I'm glad he apologized soon after saying it, I think he knew it was a bad joke none the less.

-John
    -John Stevens
    Ebay ID: jrconcessi

Collecting 1993 Finest Refractors & All Refractors 1993 - 2001, 1964 Topps Psa 8.5 or Better
    Soon to be Collecting 1966 Batman Color and all Hall of Famers in all Sports in as High a Grade as I can Afford.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the ultra-liberal media got to ESPN -- Griese is now suspended for a week.
  • Options
    Suspended for one game.

"ESPN broadcaster Bob Griese has been suspended one week for a remark he made about NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya.

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz says Griese will not be working a game this week.

Krulewitz says ESPN has spoken to Griese and "he understands the comment was inappropriate."

During ESPN's broadcast of the Minnesota-Ohio State game Saturday, a graphic was shown listing the top five drivers in NASCAR's points race. Fellow analyst Chris Spielman asked where was Montoya, who is Colombian.

Griese replied he was "out having a taco."

He has twice apologized on air for the remark.

Montoya is declining to comment on Griese's suspension. He brushed off the remark Sunday, and said he'd never heard of Griese."

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Well, the ultra-liberal media got to ESPN -- Griese is now suspended for a week. >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A crunchy taco is so vastly superior to a soft shell taco that the two should not even be compared.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Society is entirely too sensitive to anything that could ever possibly be conceived as offensive to anyone

That being said, I think Greise should be suspended for making a lame joke. I mean, that really wasnt even funny at all.
    Griese should also be suspended for having a last name that no one knows it's ethnic background. How can you give someone a racial, ethnic stereotype if you have no idea where their last name comes from?