Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone have any information on a Pierre Paul Rubens medal?

Does any one know anything about this medal? It's about 2.5 inches in diameter. Nothing on the edge.

I bought the thing on a whim. It looked better in bad light than it does under a camera lens.

Link to even Bigger Image.

Comments

• Options
    I don't know anything about it, but it looks pretty neat.

I like it.....
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh.

I thought for a moment you meant Paul Reubens. image

Great lookin' medal. Of course, if you can find a Pee Wee Herman medal, you'll have both spellings covered. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I thought for a moment you meant Paul Reubens

That's not only scary, but just plain wrong Lord M!

Back on topic, what a great medal - I like your whim purchase!

imageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

<< <i>Oh. I thought for a moment you meant Paul Reubens. image

image >>

Embarrassingly, that was the first thing I thought of, too.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh. I thought for a moment you meant Paul Reubens. image

image >>

Embarrassingly, that was the first thing I thought of, too. >>

Moi aussi!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    You guys! Sha! Pee Wee? arrg!

So I spent a little time with doctor Google.

I think the medal was issued on the 200 year anniversary of Pierre Paul Rubens death. I don’t know if the medal I have is from 1840 or is a modern reproduction (any ideas on how to tell?)

Pierre was apparently a very well thought of 17th century Flemish painter.

Here is a link to a bio of Pierre Paul Rubens.

It'd be cool to think I might have a medal from 1840, anyway to tell?

I don't know the first darn thing about medals beyond they are COOL! There's just something exhilarating about holding a huge chunk of stamped bronze!

I found a web page at the American Numismatic Society that has a photo of this medal (about 1/2 way down).

And then another ANS page with even more details!

I asked my buddy about the medal (he's an artist). I got the following email from him.

====================
    Bob, Peter Paul Rubens is one of my most favorite artists. Attached is one of his later self-portraits. He was unusual for his time as he painted and drew all over Europe. England Rome France. It was said when he died that 100,000 masses were paid for by his estate. The term Rubenesque or full figured women, was defined by his painting style. He died in 1640 so this was possibly a bicentennial of his life.

I searched the word Bisseculaires and look what popped up.

http://www.historicalartmedals.com/MEDAL%20WEB%20ENTRIES/BELGIUM/HART-RUBENS-BW153.htm

Cool?

====================

My buddy is now the proud new owner of the medal.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry, but I laughed at the responses...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It'd be cool to think I might have a medal from 1840, anyway to tell? >>

Izzat what the date in the exergue says? 1840? Can't quite make it out in the picture.

The style certainly looks consistent with early- to mid-19th century engraving. So it's dated 1840? Yeah, OK. I can accept the idea that it's contemporary to that date.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.