Home U.S. Coin Forum

I was hoping for at least a F/VF.......Photos Added!!!

1 1 15590512 5744 1923-S 25C US XF40

I really have to say I was lucky, anyone think it is solid for the grade? Does the coin look messed with?

Edited to add photos and ask the questions.

Comments

• Congrats; time for the Peanuts happy dance!image
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Well done...now where are the pics?
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need images!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few light scratches on the obv, but otherwise I think it is not 'messed with'. Not sure I concur with the XF40 grade either, looks VF20 to me, even apart from the weak strike, but PCGS's opinion is a lot more important than mine.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    VF20 and cleaned IMO. Congrats on the boost, though image
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Severely overgraded. Probably VF 20 by current standards.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Severely overgraded. Probably VF 20 by current standards. >>

Agreed. There's no wing detail on the right wing, which is what I'm looking for when grading upper-end circ SLQ's
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at it twice, a strong VF30-35 but not quite XF40 IMHO.
    A light cleaning years ago but with just enough charcoal gray to pass with PCGS (on a good day).

Tough coin with three full digits.

peacockcoins

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think XF40 was a little generous but not too much so. The worn date is a problem for pre-'24 SLQ's. The rest of the coin is very close to XF40.

The '23-S is pretty scarce. You did very well on this submission!

Here's a '27-S in XF40 for comparison.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I know why I don't collect these coins....

In my opinion they do not wear well and not a fan in circulated condition.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest the OP go out and buy a few lottery tickets.

• << <i>I'd suggest the OP go out and buy a few lottery tickets. >>

Always have a quick pick in play. You have to play to win.....
  • XF-40, no way in hell
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>XF-40, no way in hell >>

Oh come on... you don't have to be so harsh... This coin does have a nice strong date. Maybe a VF 35.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I immediately went to the date and mint mark area and was at least glad to see that this was a Frisco product. I think the grader may have had one eye on this SLQ and the other on a nice one he was about to pick up and got them confused...lucky you!

It screams VF-35+ all day long and was summariously anointed XF...go with the flow.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Severely overgraded. Probably VF 20 by current standards. >>

Agreed. There's no wing detail on the right wing, which is what I'm looking for when grading upper-end circ SLQ's >>

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file