Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins just back from PCGS today. Pictures posted, What do you think?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm still surprised. I just don't thing the 61's are uncirculated, and that's not a complaint. I'm also surprised at the AU55 1921. I've posted it by itself first, and then later next to another 1921 AU55 that is worlds apart.

what do you think of the low MS grades for some of these coins?

Here's the 55 I just got back next to another 55

Here's the 64 I just got back next to another 64

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. Overall I think you did very well.

As for the difference in the 21's it's a strike issue. Dang that one is really a poor
    strike, at least compared to the others.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Well, at least we know why the 1921 Peace Dollars
    are so scarce.

You've got'em all!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    Is it safe to assume that you like '21 Peace Dollars, or am I stretching it a bit?!?
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options

<< <i>Is it safe to assume that you like '21 Peace Dollars, or am I stretching it a bit?!? >>

It's a problem, I have to admit. image I think once I have a box of 20 of them, I'll be satisfied.....I hope.
    Seriously, I get the same way with the Camp David Peace Summit Peace Dollars. Nobody needs 7 of them, but I can't resist.

BUT, I did submit an 8 Reale as well, It's just not back yet.
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    FWIW, here's my 2 cents worth.

The Technical Grading of Mint State coins (or even various AU grades)
    is a difficult beast to understand.

It's been my experience to have realized the Joy of coins regrading higher
    and coins not graded as expected. When the latter transpires I look at the
    coins as though I've never seen them before, for things I may have missed
    - trying to "see" them unarbitrarily as through the eyes of the graders.

Many times I will find things (subtle things) that I totally missed yet
    there conversely are times that I simply cannot find such "flaws" and,
    as you have, break out coins of similar or higher grades to compare
    side by side.

Most of the time the graders are spot on but other times I come away scratching
    my head as you are. Sadly, our only recourse is to wait a while and try again if we
    feel strongly enough that said coins are in fact, mis-graded.

Nice coins, BTW! I think they look pretty accurately graded but then, we all know
    that it's virtually impossible to grade coins from ANY one dimensional picture.

All in all, I think you did well. Congratulations. image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still surprised. I just don't thing the 61's are uncirculated, and that's not a complaint. >>

MS-61 is a grade commonly assigned to nice "sliders" that are judged to be worth more than AU-58 money.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1834 CBH is gorgeous. You had a very rare submission to get two MS61 coins!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice bunch of coins. The 1834 Half looks to be at least 58 on the obverse and 55 on the reverse. Maybe downgraded for lack of luster?
    The Oregon has some obvious rub, but I think TPG's sometimes use 61 and 62 instead of AU if they attribute the wear/rub to "cabinet friction" instead of circulation wear.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    That CBH is mouthwatering! Nice!
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am glad I opened this thread.
    Nice coins all around.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The AU55 and MS61 Peace Dollars both look like AU58s -- I guess, on average, they got it right! image

The Oregon is an AU55-58 -- must have been given an "eye-appeal" bump.
  • Options

I'm the first to admit my grading skills are below average, the 1921 MS63 looks like a gift from above IMO.......great looking group, the 1834 CBH is sweet!
  • Options
    The MS62 and MS64 Peace Bucks look right on to me, the others not so much. I feel like the 61s were a gift and the 55 was graded short. I really like the look of these coins. This is the type of overall toning I shoot for when I have the opportunity.

Nice stuff all around.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm still surprised. I just don't thing the 61's are uncirculated, and that's not a complaint. >>

MS-61 is a grade commonly assigned to nice "sliders" that are judged to be worth more than AU-58 money. >>

Which, really, is what coin grading is all about with the Sheldon Scale. Technical schmechnical! Its all about what the "value" of the coin is in the market place.

As for your two 55's, the one on the right is undergraded for today's market IMO.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm the first to admit my grading skills are below average, the 1921 MS63 looks like a gift from above IMO.......great looking group, the 1834 CBH is sweet! >>

I agree with the above. The rest of them look about right to me.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those all look nice. Looks like you have a good start on a 1921 Peace dollar grade set.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins- I like the 1834 Bust the best.

1921 Peace Dollars are okay- I think these need to be seen in hand to appreciate. I my effort to read between the lines, the strikes for these seem average at best and the originality seems to have been factored in more than what I would have expected.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Nice coins- I like the 1834 Bust the best.

1921 Peace Dollars are okay- I think these need to be seen in hand to appreciate. I my effort to read between the lines, the strikes for these seem average at best and the originality seems to have been factored in more than what I would have expected. >>

I agree with that and believe, based on my own experience, that fewer than 1 in 100 1921's are original as I interpret it. Those coins represent several years of searching for that look.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quite like the CBH and the grouping of '21's is a lot of fun. Some of them are very attractive. image
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I like a number of the 21's. I agree on the 61's, especially the Oregon. So much for PCGS being too tight.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file