Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Once again a request for opinions, thank you in advance!

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
I tend to rip apart all my potential purchases and if they are still standing then the decision is made easier to move forward, so please rip awayimage

Comments

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    That's the best blue question mark I have seen today!

(P.S. -- that's the Mac version of the "red X.")
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    For my link-averse friend:

Mikey likes it!
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    well... what's to rip? That red x is centered nicely. image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A simply wonderful red X, though I wonder if it has been recolored or is AT?image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    That's the same coin as in your other thread. Minus the green crud. And a better picture.

For the purposes of consistency and avoiding embarassment, I have to say PASS. Even though the coin definitely looks nicer than how it was originally presented.

For all we know, these pictures are deceptive and not showing things that were clear in the other photo.
    Or the coin has been preserved to stop the green stuff; good.

Ignorant viewpoint time: If it were made of the correct, proper metal, I might agree that it is a cool original coin. But, not being yellow, it was 'made wrong'.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I think it looks alright.
    The obverse is more appealing to me than the reverse!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just say no...thanks.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    now that it is in another post, I still can't see enough of it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As in anything, that depends... what are you gonna' have to pay to get that sucker?
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As in anything, that depends... what are you gonna' have to pay to get that sucker? >>

Unless it is an R5 or higher it has ti have eyeappeal for me to go for it, no matter what the price. >>

In that case, I'd say you can do better if you are just gonna' be buying one.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to say, based on the photo, but it might be worth in in-hand inspection.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The photo is missing the ANACS logo. I'd be very concerned.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the obverse color is accurate, I'd pass.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks better than the original picture you posted in another thread. Before I'd say pass or play, I'd need to know the cost.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Looks OK to me.
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Once again, it is impossible to make a good judgement of a coin from a picture. If the return policy is a good one, then you are only out shipping in order to look at in person. A couple of things come to mind. The first is what is the credibility and general reputation of the seller.

The next is, have you spoken with the seller and asked questions regarding the coin. We are doing all this sleuthing regarding what ifs and could be's when a phone call might help straighten out the whole affair. Also, see question one again for reference.

Because of the iffy nature of your purchase, make sure there is no restocking charge if you do buy it, i.e. read their return policy closely.

In the end it all comes down to what the coin looks like in person and if the dealer is trustworthy in your opinion with regard to telling you like it is. Not all dealers are created equal. There are many people whose opinion I trust implicitly and others where I put my hand on my wallet when I am saying hello.

Good luck and let us know what you decide
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin probably looks much better in hand but you really need to examine it up close under proper lighting and then decide.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file