Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin collecting excerpt from "End The Fed".

renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
"My dad was not a coin collector, but he did understand the value of hard work, saving and even a penny. Somewhere along the way, out of fascination with the switch from the Indian Head penny to the Lincoln Head penny, he started throwing Indian Heads into a coffee can....pennies that I'm sure came from our retail milk sales.

I'm not sure of my exact age, but I probably became interested in coin collecting during WWII. I had access to the coins that came in through milk sales,... That can of Indian Heads sat on a desk in our kitchen for years. By the 1940's, the Indian Head penny had long since left circulation. There were 986 pennies in the can as I recall. I would scan them and sort them, and I knew exactly which pennies were there.

Although it was obvious that I was the most interested of the five brothers in coin collecting, there was no way that those pennies would become mine because of the fairness doctrine of our parents..."no special favors."

I saved my money, and when I had $20, I negotiated a deal with my dad: $20 for 986 pennies. It was a big transaction for me, but only I knew that buried in that can was a 1909-S in good condition, which even then made the purchase a great deal. I still have that particular penny and most of the other 985.

Pennies are a nuisance for most of us today. But that special 1909-S has kept up with inflation and more due to its numismatic value."

by Ron Paul
/

R95

Comments

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool story.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"My dad was not a coin collector, but he did understand the value of hard work, saving and even a penny. >>

Yeah, people who lived through the Depression tended to be that way. Some would say the current economic mess will do that to a new generation, though a "penny" isn't nearly today what it was in, say, 1932.
  • Options
    Both you and your dad did well.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure glad Keets didn't post that story.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file