Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A related set of ebay-isms being used more and more

High Grade / Good Grade
1. A coin that could be anything from G to AU.
2. A not-so subtle attempt to tell the browser "You Grade It."

Very High Grade
A coin that apparently is "better" than "high grade" or "good grade"

I don't know about you, but I find this to be an annoying development. Any other thoughts?
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    When the Grading services can not agree on a gradeimage
  • Options
    I agree that no one is really describing non certified coins accurately. But keep in mind the Ebay doesn't allow
    a seller to put a numerical grade on a coin-even if it's carefully qualified as "in our opinion" etc.

Only PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG coins can carry a numerical designation EXCEPT Canadian coin dealers can quote
    ICCS grades.

A U.S. seller listing a non TPG coin, or even one that is graded by ICCS, has to use weasel words to indicate the
    quality of the coin. I know, I've had several listings cancelled before I got the message image.

Personally I use terms like "BU to choice" "Brilliant Uncirculated" or "Choice to gem" unless I know that
    the coin will grade or has graded a minimum of MS or PL 65, then I use terms like "Gem" or, if it's a higher
    grade, "Gem Plus".

Silly, but that's the rule......
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can we forget L@@k?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Are you complaining about sellers who actually do not know what it is they are selling or is it the sellers who are selling a coin which they are selling as a high grade coin which it is not? I will sometimes put a "high grade" tag on my higher grade coins that could possibly be xf-ms, but only because I think grading any series will differ series to series. From my view, what looks to be a lower grade could actually be higher because of a soft strike. I think that anyone that is buying a coin from a series one collects should be able to tell whether the coin looks good or not. With that being said, I am still learning how to grade certain series of coins and do not feel comfortable putting a grade on a coin for the lack of knowledge. Does that mean that I should not be selling coins from my collection that I wish to no longer own? I am assuming that I am selling any given coin to a knowledgeable buyer of that series, or at least hope that the person who is buying the coin knows what he or she is buying. I would be more comfortable selling US coins, which I can grade very well, but I do not collect US any longer. -Dan
  • Options
    Annoying yes, for seasoned collectors, may go beyond annoying into costly for unsuspecting or newer collectors.
  • Options
    Well I found what is still currently the highest graded Australian 1925 florin in MS65 on eBay described simply as 'HIGH GRADE'.
  • Options
    My preference as an eBay seller has always been to post a couple of fabulous LARGE images
    and tell potential bidders that the grading is entirely up to them.
    I'm careful also to meticulously itemize any flaws,edge or strike characteristics, etc.
    My thinking is that it really should come down to the buyer's expertise and his/her actually
    *wanting* the coin based on the visual realities presented, and not on the implied guarantee
    of a particular grade. So, wouldn't you then want some indication like "high grade" in the
    title for the listing? I used to use "excellent condition" a lot, or "XC."

Or sometimes I'd just say something like: "I think it's choice EF. Your mileage may vary."

Haven't sold on eBay in about 7 years, after 4-5 years of hyperactivity there.
    Will be getting back to it next year, as my retirement begins to kick in.

Hope things haven't changed too much...darkside exonumists are a pretty laid-back bunch.

Best to all ~
    Tom
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.
  • Options
    I've often wondered why the classic grading classifications aren't more commonly used on ebay. I get the distinct impression that many sellers just aren't very knowledgeable and that many which are may be trying to pull one over.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Why do I find this annoying?

* The images that usually accompany auctions designated as "good grade," "high grade" or "very high grade" leave much to be desired.
    * Yes, few seem to grade their coins correctly in the first place, but now we have a scale where you have even less of an idea about what is being offered.

I completely agree that it is fine to use such a designation provided the pictures are of a usable quality. I salute the lucky few who end up with MS65 coins simply called "high grade." The vast majority are apt to end up with something more like VF30 or XF40 unless the images are superb.

I recently bought the coin below (refer to my recent "newps" thread). If this had been called "high grade" I would have steered clear of it. As it was, the seller described it as UNC so I took a shot at it and was not disappointed. It is probably MS63RB.

imageimage
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    This coin looks to me to be "high grade".

Just to be generous I'm prepared to offer full Spink retail. I'll also arrange to pick it up the next time I'm in town.........just to save on those nasty postage fees. image

....forgot to wink and grin. image
  • Options
    WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭

<< <i>Text I completely agree that it is fine to use such a designation provided the pictures are of a usable quality. I salute the lucky few who end up with MS65 coins simple called "high grade." The vast majority are apt to end up with something more like VF30 or XF40 unless the images are superb. >>

Well I could tell from the small scan that the coin had full blazing lustre, which you almost never see on Aussie Geo V florins (except the 1931 and '36). It looked at minimum MS64.