Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This is good to know if you are considering sending in coins for regrades

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
It looks like if I send a PCGS coin in for regrade service with a bean on it. I lose my bean even if it does not upgrade. This is a quote from the PCGS prez that I read in another thread.

<< <i>When a coin is sent in under the Regrade Service it is cracked out and given to the graders raw. They do not know the difference between a "Regrade" submission and a "Raw" submission >>

Seems reasonable since the bean is irrelevant to them. But something to consider as you will lose your beans

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. It's been that way for quite awhile now (years).

Same thing if you have an older holder (rattler, etc) that you want to retain....if you send it in, that holder is gone, that label is gone, and new ones are returned with your coin in them (same grader or higher since they won't lower the grade).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I have never sent any of mine in for regrades before but i would of assumed they just returned it back in its holder if it did not upgrade. That got me thinking about what if I had a bean on it or just an older style holder. Anyway now I know for the future if I ever send one in
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More $$$ down the tubes.... people keep investing money in their coins with no promise of return let along profit. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I do not attempt the regrades, just stick with adding the green beans.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you send in a coin for regrade, say an MS66 and the graders think it's really an MS65, does the coin just go back into an MS66 holder???

Or does PCGS require the coin to go into a MS65 holder and pay the submitter the buyback difference???

I always assumed that they just stick it back into an MS66 holder, but after thinking about it more why would PCGS put a coin they think is an MS65 in an MS66 holder under ANY circumstance??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file