Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you consider to be an "acceptable" loss, in terms of a percentage?

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know things are in a downturn, so it's no surprise that I took a big hit on a consignment of coins that, well frankly, I probably shouldn't have bought in the first place. Buy high, sell low, I always say! But seriously, there are a lot of ways to look at a situation like this:

On the individual coins, I lost about 60% of the value over the course of one year. Shoot, I've done far worse in the stock market.

In terms of my entire collection, it amounts to about a 3-5% loss, so hey, no biggie, right?

I bought the coins to fill holes in a set. Those coins have been replaced with superior coins that were acquired more cheaply that I would have ever been able to when I bought the original three.

I'm a collector, and on occasion collectors must accept these sort of losses in the pursuit of the finest possible collection.

But it still hurts!

Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for letting me post my catharsis. You're all such nice people!

Comments

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Anything over 100%, is just not acceptable.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collectors need hole fillers, sometimes they cost more than they should. Sometimes if the timings is right you find somebody else that needs hole fillers when you up grade.
    We don't get any return on a lot of the things we buy in life, but we still get some candy when the whim hits us once every so often.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you consider to be an "acceptable" loss, in terms of a percentage? >>

None...I want the whole coin. I never understood those guys who collect clipped ones.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    Matt, I strongly doubt that anyone who engages in serious coin collecting hasn't
    suffered some sort of loss over time, maybe with the exception of Eliasberg.
    It's sort of the nature of the hobby. If you want some of the nicest you have to
    be ready to buy when they're available & that means sometimes you pay too
    much. But like the Bear said,,,100% is unacceptable. image

You're still havin' fun aren't you?
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭

<< <i>On the individual coins, I lost about 60% of the value over the course of one year. >>

Wow, really? I can't think of any coin that has gone down that much in value over the course of just a year... as far as I can tell, the coin market still seems to be relatively stable. Unless you paid high-end retail prices for the coins and then proceeded to sell them below wholesale, I just don't see how you could have lost quite that much.

• Options
    My latest purchase is for a coin that is of about 250% pcgs price guide, and it's not a toner. How much will I lose if I resell it? Will someone else pay what I did, or more? I think probably the same or more, because the coin I bought is very sought after. It's all relative.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Matt, I strongly doubt that anyone who engages in serious coin collecting hasn't
    suffered some sort of loss over time, maybe with the exception of Eliasberg.
    It's sort of the nature of the hobby. If you want some of the nicest you have to
    be ready to buy when they're available & that means sometimes you pay too
    much. But like the Bear said,,,100% is unacceptable. image

You're still havin' fun aren't you? >>

Actually, there are a lot of "serious coin collectors" who have never suffered a loss over time. I'm one of them. Do I have coins in my collection that I would realize a financial loss if I sold them today? Yes, but since they won't be sold until after my death there will never be a financial loss on them.

To seriously answer the OP, it depends on why you are selling. If you just want the cash to replace the coin with a better example then you should be willing to accept a much smaller loss then if you were selling to raise morgage money.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    cinman14cinman14 Posts: 2,489
    My dad buys and sells cars. He has learned one important fact in 30 years..

"there is an ass for every seat" you just need to find the right ass....image

I wouldn't sell anything for a loss unless it was for the well being of my family...
  • Options
    Sounds like Modern. We tried to warn you about the MS70 bubble :-) image
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    60 % does seem high but once I get it in my head that I want the money for something else, the piece is gone. I don't need this money to live, so who cares?
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    In this circumstance, the percentage loss you took is almost meaningless since you bought upgraded replacement coins for less money than you otherwise would have had to pay.

If your loss, plus what you paid for the upgraded coins, is less than you would have had to pay for the upgraded coins last year, things have turned out fine.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is an acceptable loss? I never thought of it in those terms but I have sold for a loss on many occasions. Usually I have replaced a lesser coin with something nicer so I often feel pleased and generous.

I crossed dozens of Lincoln wheaties and Peace dollars last year, from NGC to PCGS. Where a grade drop was dramatic, price-wise, I sold the NGC coin if it didn't cross at grade. Where it wasn't going to really hurt I accepted the possibility of a downgrade ("cross-at-whatever, PCGS") and it happened maybe 20% of the time. Some downgrades were later sold at a loss; I can't remember how much, percentage-wise.

I don't get worked up by this. To me this hobby is wholesome entertainment I shouldn't engage in if I can't live with some loss. Even with unwholesome entertainment, like gambling at Vegas, I go for the fun and expect it will cost, however deluded I am about my smarts.

Lance.
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>

<< <i>On the individual coins, I lost about 60% of the value over the course of one year. >>

Wow, really? I can't think of any coin that has gone down that much in value over the course of just a year... as far as I can tell, the coin market still seems to be relatively stable. Unless you paid high-end retail prices for the coins and then proceeded to sell them below wholesale, I just don't see how you could have lost quite that much.
    image >>

It might depend on the venue used for selling. Some venues have huge fees as a percentage on coins below a certain dollar threshold. It is easy enough to get to 60% after paying all the fees, shipping, possibly additional fees for setting reserves and coins not selling, maybe slabbing fees. The original poster also mentioned consignment. For relatively low value items consignment fees alone might be 20% to 30%. Some sellers might have Ebay fees of 10% to 15% on top of that. Then add in postage to ship the coins, packaging, and it can be a heavy load on some items.

As for Bear's 100%+, the way some are getting there is to buy on credit, and pay 20% to 30% interest for a year or more, then maybe add in some late fees because they can't even make the minimum payments on time.

These days, the cash wholesale vs. full retail price spread is often so wide, that on many coins, a person can take an immediate 40% to 50% hit if buying at full retail price and selling at an average wholesale price. So to me, 60% doesn't seem unreasonable after a year of modest price declines. Folks on the forum often are thinking more along the lines of about buying at low retail and then putting in several hours of work to sell at retail via Ebay or similar. Counting the labor cost, camera equipment, that kind of operation can also be more than a 100% loss, depending on how much a person values their time.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I have never lost a single dollar on coins.......

Of course, the loss of many, many dollars, happens

to me all the time. Buy high, sell low, add in the dealers

or auction house fees, commissions, tax and walla........

LOSS....LOSS.....LOSS......LOSS.....LOSS.....LOSS....LOSS
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, really? I can't think of any coin that has gone down that much in value over the course of just a year... as far as I can tell, the coin market still seems to be relatively stable. Unless you paid high-end retail prices for the coins and then proceeded to sell them below wholesale, I just don't see how you could have lost quite that much. >>

Guess you haven`t seen the bloodbath in the Franklin series...just to mention one of the worst...
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    There is no set percentage of acceptable loss. Factors such as: market conditions, salability, new population additions, promotions, etc. are to be considered. When those factors are considered sometimes a near total loss isn't out of the question whereas at other times a 5% loss could be considered 5% too much.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a lose only if I am going to buy something that will make me more $$$ imageimage

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    No pain....no gain!

• Options
    No loss is acceptable. We all must buy at wholesale and sell at retail. We also must pick only coins that will become popular by the time we sell them. We also must sell coins that are at the height of their popularity.

(tongue in cheek)

You are not alone, I've lost %60 on some coins...
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many kind words here, and a few that must be taken with a grain of salt.

When the decision came to sell, I was feeling a pretty strong financial pinch. Since then, the pinch alleviated itself in the form of a nice hefty raise and bonus, so the woes don't really apply anymore.

The coins I decided to sell were ultimately not going to be a part of my collection. They were simply just not for me, and I knew it once I got them. Having been replaced with "the coins I want" made the decision simple.

And yes, I did pay a lot more for them than I should have in the first place. The fact that the "new better" coins came to me at a relative bargain certainly takes the sting out of the loss. That, and the fact that I can stop wincing at the ones I let go for things that most rational collectors would consider "trivial imperfections".

And yes, I'm still having tons of fun, if for no other reason than the fact that I now have the collection that I've been chasing for most of my life. You can't really put a price on something as cool as that image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I have gotten used to losing about 33% +/-. image
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Just like stocks, it's only a loss if you sell at a loss.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    If I can't sell it at at least a small profit I will hold onto it; it don't cost me nothing to store it for a better time.
  • Options

<< <i>Many kind words here, and a few that must be taken with a grain of salt.

When the decision came to sell, I was feeling a pretty strong financial pinch. Since then, the pinch alleviated itself in the form of a nice hefty raise and bonus, so the woes don't really apply anymore.

The coins I decided to sell were ultimately not going to be a part of my collection. They were simply just not for me, and I knew it once I got them. Having been replaced with "the coins I want" made the decision simple.

And yes, I did pay a lot more for them than I should have in the first place. The fact that the "new better" coins came to me at a relative bargain certainly takes the sting out of the loss. That, and the fact that I can stop wincing at the ones I let go for things that most rational collectors would consider "trivial imperfections".

And yes, I'm still having tons of fun, if for no other reason than the fact that I now have the collection that I've been chasing for most of my life. You can't really put a price on something as cool as that image >>

"
    the pinch alleviated itself in the form of a nice hefty raise and bonus,"

THIS YEAR?
    Where do you work, AIG????? image

image Sorry!
    (Old man) Look I had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, “That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah”.

(Priest) BLASPHEMY he said it again, did you hear him?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file