Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NEWP WilliamIV

Just picked this one up for the princely sum of $5.99US + shipping.

William IV coins are cool.

Not minty like a lot of them seen here, but it fits my collection nicely. image

Comments

• wybritwybrit Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭
    Nice grab. They're £4 in F and £12 in VF.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Also, upon closer inspection, it has some doubled digits in the date and legends (nearly all letters of "GRATIA"). The 1, 8 & 4 are doubled and appear larger than the normal 3.

Not listed on Aboutfarthings website, so I'm not sure if it would be considered a variety or not. Looking to find out if this makes it any more desirable or is it just as common as any others. It has the incuse line shield reverse, btw.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Crappy photo of the week...

Nothing shows up for doubling digits - they're a pretty common occurrence on copper pieces (the only noted Wm IV farthing is 1837 with 7 over 7).

Check for Rev B: if you have a raised line down the arms of the St. Andrew's cross (the diagonal cross), you have a much more valuable piece. The common reverse is an incuse line in the same area.
  • It's the "A" reverse. I have emailed Colin Goode to see if he has any info that will help. Colin Cooke Coins usually has a pretty good selection with good descriptions and general info - no mention other than the two different reverses.

Hey, what part of Wyoming are/were you? Been there a few times and never got enough of it!
  • I got a 1 Rupee 1834 William IV.
    One of my favorite coins.

TheKid!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    That is a GREAT looking coin. I love the color and surfaces. Is it Britainia on the reverse? She looks sort of squat and fat doesn't she?
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    well done, nice example and very good color and surfaces.
    Hey, what part of Wyoming are/were you? Been there a few times and never got enough of it!

It's a nice place to visit, mostly in the summer months. The falls, winters and springs can be very tough, even compared to MN. Casper was the family hometown and we spent many a summer there while stationed in the UK, but I spent more time living in Laramie while attending UW (6 years, 2 degrees). My favorite places are (in no particular order) Laramie, Jackson/Yellowstone and Cody. I live in CO now and have season tickets for UW football, so I'll be up there a few times this fall at least. In general, Laramie has the face only a mother could love (ie, it's pretty much a dump once you leave campus), but I still like it.
  • Ah William IV, truly wonderful coinage, Wyon was a very skilled engraver indeed.