Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Got a favorite filler? Let's see it!

I don't usually go for fillers, but the Isle of Wight has been a glaring hole in my Dalton silver collection for many years.
so I picked this one up on eBay to tide me over until I can find a more "worthy" example.

I like the floater and fliers...its barque is worse than its bites.

Anyway, let's see YOUR favorite filler! Show it off here!

Best to all ~
Tom

imageimage
I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Filler? It looks like it could be a scarce piece. -dan
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Can't find an UNC of this date yet, so I am still using my first example (I think MacCrimmon was a young man of 25 when this coin was struck). Back in them good old days just before decimalization, you could actually get these in coin rolls from the bank. I always thought that was pretty neat.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't find an UNC of this date yet, so I am still using my first example (I think MacCrimmon was a young man of 25 when this coin was struck). Back in them good old days just before decimalization, you could actually get these in coin rolls from the bank. I always thought that was pretty neat.
    >>

Quite! Back in '81 whilst I was sitting for exams at Exeter a young Dudley Pembroke slammed a jingling £5 canvas bank bag of 1881 halfpennies down on my desk. Twenty-four hundred blazing red coppers it was; a blinding experience, wot?
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can't find an UNC of this date yet, so I am still using my first example (I think MacCrimmon was a young man of 25 when this coin was struck). Back in them good old days just before decimalization, you could actually get these in coin rolls from the bank. I always thought that was pretty neat.
    >>

Quite! Back in '81 whilst I was sitting for exams at Exeter a young Dudley Pembroke slammed a jingling £5 canvas bank bag of 1881 halfpennies down on my desk. Twenty-four hundred blazing red coppers it was; a blinding experience, wot? >>

And that's why they call you One-Eyed Mac, isn't it? image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the floater and fliers...its barque is worse than its bites. >>

Thou'rt a punster, I see.

I really like your piece a lot. But then, you could probably have guessed that I of all people would. image

My favorite filler is not a filler 'cause it is holed- after all, holeyness is a prerequisite for that particular collection- but because somebody further abused the coin, apparently trying to obliterate a counterstamp of some kind on the obverse. Despite its homeliness, you probably don't need to be told that it's a relatively scarce coin, and is the only US $3 gold piece I've ever owned.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Quite! Back in '81 whilst I was sitting for exams at Exeter a young Dudley Pembroke slammed a jingling £5 canvas bank bag of 1881 halfpennies down on my desk. Twenty-four hundred blazing red coppers it was; a blinding experience, wot?

I think mine was one of the 2400 - it fell off the desk and attached itself to the bottom of a chair leg where it remained for about 85 years.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my filler...

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice filler, Cladiator. I'm looking for one of those with a hole in it.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have fillers, here's the exception that confirms the rule:

1851 drachma, one year type coin, absolutely necessary for my collection, it is housed in an old Anacs holder UNC details, scratched net AU55, but the scratch is not nearly as distracting as in the photo (wrong imaging angle). It might stay with me for a long time, not only because of the total lack of availability of this coin in unc, but also because of the steep price that a choice unc would fetch if offered for sale.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    DaltonistaDaltonista Posts: 354 ✭✭
    Wow...I think that's called "raising the bar," Dimitri.

All our fillers should look so good!

Best to all!
    Tom
    I never pay too much for my tokens...but every now and then I may buy them too soon.

Proud (but humbled) "You Suck" Designee, February 2010.