Home U.S. Coin Forum

My 1856 D Gold Dollar arrived Today, Delia Looks Good!

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
imageimage

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that this is a rare coin with 100 or less known, but I’m a bit concerned about the darker areas at the 9 and 3 o’clock positions. The coin may have been repaired, which if that is true, it would effect the value. Garrett and Guth warn that this is a problem with 1856-D gold dollars.

BTW there is nothing wrong with a repaired coin if it is a rare one, but there should be price adjustments for that.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Another beauty that's seen much commerce, boy what stories that coin could tell - maybe in the pocket of a Johnny Reb when he went into battle for his beliefs.
    Paul
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I know that this is a rare coin with 100 or less known, but I’m a bit concerned about the darker areas at the 9 and 3 o’clock positions. The coin may have been repaired, which if that is true, it would effect the value. Garrett and Guth warn that this is a problem with 1856-D gold dollars.

BTW there is nothing wrong with a repaired coin if it is a rare one, but there should be price adjustments for that. >>

Ex-jewelry?
    Becky

<< <i>Ex-jewelry? >>

Yes, that's what concerns me.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS Genuine Holder, code 82 Filed Rims

Price.....about 1/10 of what it should be without the issues

All in all, rather attractive and only 65 to 80 known, so Im pretty happy with it!
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know that I am a poor speller but I always thought there was a "U" in Unitedimage
    Thats one of the Hallmarks on the 56 D, it is very weak or completely missing. Perfectly normal. The O in Dollar is always filled like that too. What looks like wear on the hair and feather plumes is actually a weak strike, they all had that.

1566 minted.
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thats one of the Hallmarks on the 56 D, it is very weak or completely missing. Perfectly normal. The O in Dollar is always filled like that too.

1566 minted. >>

And that is why you buy the book before the series. Thanks for sharing.
  • Nice hunk of gold, and it looks to have alot of life in her left. image

This coin is sorta like my 79-O Double Eagle. Its rare, less than 100 known or so, and a VF20 goes for the better part of $25-30k. I might have to find an example like this to finish my collection.
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice. I likey.

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very Nice. I likey.

image >>

...................ditto.
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice... so...

does this make # 24 now?

Good luck & enjoy her!!
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
    she was already "counted". I count from purchase since the delivery sometimes takes..................................so...........................long

Thats one of the real drags about internet coin buying. You can buy it in five minutes, and then it takes two weeks to get to you.

Yeah and really Hats Off to Dave Bowers, hes one heck of a writer and his Gold Dollar book is really essential if you want to learn more about this series, even on a casual basis. If youre like me and decide to make an attempt to collect them all then its essential. The book by David Akers is useful, but in reality it shows its age since it was printed in 1975. A lot of the material in it is nothing but old auctions, and then only the name and date of the auction, nothing more. What it does tell you in a good clear way is what the average grades of the existing coins are, and the relative rarity of any certain grade within the year and mm. Some of the estimates of numbers struck have been revised quite a bit by QDB and he gives a lot more detail, especially in copying out all the info on some of the historic auction listings of top coins. While his price guide is good, there are several dates and MMs that have by error had the information transposed, which can be confusing. I think too........he should have devoted a few more pages to counterfeits and their detection. certainly would have helped me.
    You should buy a copy of Encylopedia of U.S. Gold Coins 1795-1933 by Jeff Garrett and Ron Guth. Yes it covers everthing gold, but if you are mainly interested in a one a year collection of gold dollars with the major varieities the book is well worth having.
    Thats one of the books Im going to get. Also, looking for Breens 1964 monograph on Gold Dollars.
  • slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Will we EVER stop hearing about this dollar?? Just kidding! nice gold!
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
    Sure....better and nicer ones will come soon!

Just sold another lincoln ten minutes ago for 3500, so more fuel to stoke the engine! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file