Home U.S. Coin Forum

calling all Lincoln experts for a question

Please let me know what you think.

thanks

cliff
RACC
I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Comments

• RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    RPM D/D
    imageRIP
  • that's what i thought but i can not find this in the cherrypickers guide

are these common for 1987
    RACC
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's either die erosion or a flaw in the plating, very common on 1985-1989 cents. There is something about the plated planchets that gives rise to this, as the zinc-coated steel cents of 1943 often have similar looking doubling on the mintmark.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
    It's not in LTLC either. Doesn't appear to be all that common. There is mention of a lightly punched D/D to the west but yours is definitely not it.
    imageRIP

• Looks more like damage to me. The gouge on the adjacent rim indicates a strong scraping
    action showing the zinc internal layer. On the mint mark, notice that the zinc layer shows
    there also on the primary mm. I believe a shearing blow post mint cut through the copper
    layer of the mintmark, moving it to the side.

Jim
    I disagree due to the top mintmark being undamaged. The original strike exposed the zinc as can be seen under the shoulder area.
    imageRIP
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    It's torn plating letting the zinc show and corrosion starting on the zinc in the tear and in the PMD on the rim.

In a few years the D will fall off and it will have a pothole. image
    Ed
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that the "extra mintmark" is larger than it should be. This is a big clue that it is not an RPM.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file