Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hey BigDowgie and Shagnasty- Jefferson guys I pullled this out of a roll of 54-D's what say you?

I think by now we have established my pics suck, so based on this??

Comments

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    TexNats,
    After accepting your acknowledgement that you take crappy pictures, I'm thinking you may have that elusive 1954-D/S! Maybe you can try a few more pictures or get someone that knows what they are doing to take some! I'm not sure what that dot at the bottom of the D is, but if it looks like another D down there, that helps me think it's the one.
    Just kidding on the pics! Nice find if it is it! What grade do you think it is?
    Dowgie
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I've said before, I have seen a couple of ANACS coins with this variety noted on the label but couldn't see it in the mintmark. But your coin does make it interesting. Imagine the mix-up they had in those days with what mint was striking what. Denver striking SF coins and vice-versa, they wouldn't have any of that. Like a school wearing another school's jersey during a sport event, that was unheard of as well. It would never happen.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent years looking for that variety and never even saw a picture of one. If that is it (and I do think I see the remains of an S under the D), then I know why I never found one.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TexNat; Although I've never had one in hand to compare, this sure looks like the real deal! Remnants of the bottom of the S coming out of the bottom serif of the D. Center of the S crossing thru the D. Reminds me of the Lincolns in 46 and 51. Both d over s varieties. I believe this is worth having attributed. Congratulations!! Shag
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>TexNat; Although I've never had one in hand to compare, this sure looks like the real deal! Remnants of the bottom of the S coming out of the bottom serif of the D. Center of the S crossing thru the D. Reminds me of the Lincolns in 46 and 51. Both d over s varieties. I believe this is worth having attributed. Congratulations!! Shag >>

The 1946 Lincoln is an S over D, and there is quire a bit more of the underlying mintmark showing on that variety. It is similar in that the mintmarks are perfectly centered one over the other, so it requires some squinting to really make it out.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Crew,
    Below is the only picture I have of an attributed 1954-D/S. You all decide from the pictures! Sorry it is so small.

Dowgie
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I say score, and add send that bad boy to me lol

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t know if I see an S under that D or not, I know of the 1954 S/D Jefferson, but does a 54 D/S even exist?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    WoodJeff,
    That's the million dollar question! Is it a D/S or just a D/D?

Until I actually get to examine one, I'm leaning toward the D/D. Along with the Mint not acknowledging the D/S (as far as I know), I think we are looking at a D/D with the second D to the south. What we see inside the D is the top curve of the second D.

Let's find a few more examples and get some better diagnostics on this one! Oh yes, I would like one for my collection!

Dowgie
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Tough call.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES, Looks like it good eye nice pickup.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TexNat,, My fourth edition C/P guide (scan provided by Type2) also states an actual sale of an MS65 example of 575. That was over eight years ago! Also listed as a Coneca RPM 3. Might check and compare with any photos Coneca has on their site.
    Seanq, I stand corrected. I must have been thinking of the two OMM's of 44. Have you seen one of the RPM 7's of
    that year? I find it to be as interesting as the 43 D/D. Just opposite corners.
    TexNat, I'm still in the D over S group. Let us know how it turns out!
    Shag
  • Options
    It's going in so we'll see!
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Whats the news?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file