Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1835 Capped Bust Quarter Attribution and Online Resources?

BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
Is there an online resource to learn about Bust Quarter Varieties?

I'm guessing based on the notes I posted below that this is a B-1 (with a feint die crack under the "5" in the date and in "STA" of "STATES" on the reverse) variety the most common. Can someone verify that?

I think this is the die crack in question but not sure how to tell if it is B-1, B-2, B-3. The reverse appears to have the die crack pointed out by 1TwoBits.

imageimage

In case someone can help out here is a photo:

Edited: Just posting notes below in-case someone else finds them useful.

Link to Russ Logan's Collection (Source for below images and notes).

B1 (Rarity 1)
Obverse: Same as B2 and B3 (No die crack)
Reverse: Same as 1834 B3 (Feint die crack through "STA" in "STATES")

B2 (Rarity 2)
Obverse: Same as B1 and B3 (Light crack at base of 5 in date
Reverse: Same as 1834 B2 and B5

B3 (Rarity 4)
Obverse: Same as B1 and B2 (die crack is slightly longer than the B2 example
Reverse: Unique (This conflicts with the notes for B1 stating this is shared with B1?)

B4 (Rarity 3)
Obverse: Unique (A thin crack connects stars 1 through 4 to border over star 5. Another crack from the border midway between the date and star 13 crosses the bust to star 3 and the border.)
Reverse: Same as B5 and B6

B5 (Rarity 3)
Obverse: Unique (The obverse has a straight horizontal bisecting die crack from star 6 across Liberty's head to star 10. Another crack extends from the border through star 3 to Liberty's chin. An additional die crack from the border left of 1 joins the drapery, continues through Liberty's neck and hair, joining the first die crack behind Liberty's eye.)
Reverse: Same as B4 and B6

B6 (Rarity 3)
Obverse: Unique (The obverse is extensively cracked and in a later state than described by Browning. A crack from the border touches the lower inside point of star 13 to the hair curl. This crack is lightly visible through all hair details to the curl behind Liberty's ear, through E of LIBERTY, the cap, and to the border at 12:00. A heavier crack from the border below star 1 to edge of the drapery continues through the field to Liberty's neck, eventually joining the first crack in the hair below and right of Liberty's ear. The reverse has a slightly curved die crack through A of STATES, the eagle's upper and lower beaks (visible in the space between), to the left shield point and the eagle's feathers, eventually reaching the left claw and border left of the denomination. A second reverse crack from the border through left upright of U continues very faintly through the lower wing feathers at left to the first crack at the shield border.)
Reverse: Same as B4 and B5

B7 (Rarity 2)
Obverse: Same as B8
Reverse: Unique (die line in field below "E" in "UNITED"

B8 (Rarity 4)
Obverse: Same as B7
Reverse: Same as 1836 (B1, B5) 1837 (B1, B3, B4) - (die crack from "D" in "UNITED" through "E" in "STATES")

Comments

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    As with all things related to Bust coinage, you should first take a look at the Russell J. Logan collection website:

http://rob.com/russ/collection/
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mr. HD - great site.
    I was finally able to attribute my 1831 qtr as a B6 (only an R3, but still, I was not able to find the variety anywhere else).
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    slumlord98slumlord98 Posts: 1,180
    Steve Tompkins' website with a load of information.

Steve Tompkins
  • Options
    See update in first post

Thanks

MrHalfDime and slumlord98

• Options
    More updates with notes.

I'm guessing I have a B-1 variety, can someone help me verify this?

I think this is the die crack in question but not sure how to tell if it is B-1, B-2 or B-3. Guess it would help if I could tell that the reverse is B1 and B3 or B2.

Also can anyone confirm the notes for the reverse of B1 and B3 as they conflict. B1 notes says it's shared with B3 and B3 notes say it's unique.

Thanks
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

"B1 (Rarity 1)
    Reverse: Same as B3 (Feint die crack at base of "5" in the date)"

The reverse has a date image
  • Options

<< <i>"B1 (Rarity 1)
    Reverse: Same as B3 (Feint die crack at base of "5" in the date)"

The reverse has a date image >>

Oops, I'll have to double check the notes. image

Edited, fixed it. Reverse is Same as 1834 B3 and not 1835.
  • Options
    Some things that might help (or not) with reverse id's. Taken from Heritage.

B-1, R.1. The 3 in the date is high, and star 13 is quite close to the hair. On the reverse the eagle has no tongue, 25 C is high with 2 and 5 widely spaced, and there is a period after the denomination.

B-4, R.4. This scarce variety is distinguished by the curl that is placed wholly over the 5, no tongue on the eagle, and the branch stem is to the left of the upper serif on the C.

B-7, R.2. The reverse lacks a period after the denomination, diagnostic for the variety.
  • Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with your B-1 guess. The crack on your coin only extends over from the 5 in the date a little bit. You can see the reverse crack cutting through STA in STATES and across into the field.

The B-2 reverse has the serif on the top of the C in 25C. left of the end of the stem. The 2 and 5 are closer than the B-1 and the 2 is much higher than the 5 compared to the B-1.

The B-3 reverse is much different altogether, as you mention, since 25C. is much lower and closer to the border than that of the B-1 & B-2.

Nice loookin' piece, thanks for sharing.
    Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with your B-1 guess. The crack on your coin only extends over from the 5 in the date a little bit. You can see the reverse crack cutting through STA in STATES and across into the field.

The B-2 reverse has the serif on the top of the C in 25C. left of the end of the stem. The 2 and 5 are closer than the B-1 and the 2 is much higher than the 5 compared to the B-1.

The B-3 reverse is much different altogether, as you mention, since 25C. is much lower and closer to the border than that of the B-1 & B-2.

Nice loookin' piece, thanks for sharing. >>

Thanks, I did not notice the reverse die crack, I added the photo and will claim this as the most common variety. image

• Options
    Another issue,

"B2 (Rarity 2)
    Reverse: Same as B5"

Looking at the photo of the B2 the eagle has a tongue.
    The eagle of the B5 does not have a tongue.

So something is wrong.

I have a B5 and it matches the photo above for it so the description or photo for the b2 rev. must be wrong.
  • Options

<< <i>Another issue,

"B2 (Rarity 2)
    Reverse: Same as B5"

Looking at the photo of the B2 the eagle has a tongue.
    The eagle of the B5 does not have a tongue.

So something is wrong.

I have a B5 and it matches the photo above for it so the description or photo for the b2 rev. must be wrong. >>

Thanks, I fixed it. The 1835 B2 has the same reverse as the 1834 B2 and B5, I miss read it as being the same as 1835. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file