Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

May set registry grading "special": Review Results Thread

I sent in 33 cards for the 1/2 price review special and just got my first results so I thought I'd start a thread to see how everyone's results are. After getting no bumps on my first 3 reviews I'm pretty convinced this is just another money grab (had a Jim Brown 7 that I can't see how it didn't bump), but we'll let the results decide. I sent in a 65 Biletnikoff 8 (one bad corner, but very nice centering), '52 Bowman large Stydahar 7 (didn't think it would bump but worth a shot) and the Jimmy Brown 7. So far my tally:

0-3

Jasen

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    I sent in a total of 20 cards. 16 on one service level, 4 on another. First results? 0-4

In fairness, I sent all of my best bumpable cards for review last year when the half grades first came out and got quite a few bumps. About a 20% success rate.

Of the 4 cards I already got results on, 2 of them had been sent previously and denied. The other 2 are newer additions, both high dollar cards (over $1,000 in PSA 8). I was not supremely confident in any of these bumping, but at half the grading fee it was worth the gamble. And make no mistake, this is a form of gambling...lol

We will see what happens with the 16 card order. Probably half of those 16 had been sent in before and denied. But there are a few new ones that I am confident deserve a bump. Any less than 3 bumps on that order and PSA is definitely grading reviews tougher than they were a year ago.

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been pulling cards to submit for review since the price is so low but I'm wondering if I'd be better off just cracking and resubmitting during a grading special. It seems like they are more strict on reviews than they are when they grade the first time since I had better success rates getting full grade bumps when I'd play the crack and resubmit game than people are having with 1/2 grade reviews. The only advantage of the half grade system is you don't risk getting a downgrade.

I'm pulling only those cards with nearly 50-50 centering, 4 sharp corners and little to no print defects. These are cards that usually 9 but were apparently reviewed by the grader of death. Anyone know how leanient they are for print dots? I have some '61T baseball that are otherwise vending fresh mint cards but have a few black specs which are common on '61s.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I have about 180 cards I am considering sending for review. I started with more than 200, but pulled some out. I will review them at least one more time before sending them off.
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I am 0 for everything I ever sent in on a review. I will no longer send in and if I what a card in higher grade I will buy it and selll mine as "old flip possible .5 bump." It is no longer worth the trouble to me. Each to his/her own, but not I.

1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    New results today, 15 more grades popped, 3 bumps. 59 Topps Sam Huff from 7 to 7.5 (yipee), 73 Topps Jim Langer from 9 to 10 and 81 Topps Kellen Winslow from 9 to 10. I'm still waiting for the big submission with all my 48 Leaf and 52 Bowman large reviews. (fingers crossed)

Current tally:

3 for 18
  • Options
    Wow, really low percentages. I just cut my order down significantly. I'll probably just send a few blazers and see what happens. By the way, can you combine $100-$500 value cards with <$100 in the same submission? If not, I may not bother submitting anything as the shipping costs will consume any savings from the special.
  • Options
    To be fair, I didn't think the Stydahar would bump due to a stain on the back, but the front was so nice and it's such a high dollar card I thought it worth the review fee. Also, 4 of the first order of 15 that I sent in were graded under the new .5 scale, so not a huge surprise they didn't bump. Take those out and I'm 3 for 13, still not great. The one I am most disappointed with is the Jim Brown, I am really shocked that it did not bump. Otherwise, about what I expected. The Langer and Winslow bumps paid for the entire submission and then some, and I still have a sub of '48 Leaf and '52 Bowman large HOF RCs yet to pop so it's all gravy with the bumps I get there. I do expect some bumps, particularly with the Doak Walker and Bednarik Leafs and the McElhenny Bowman. We'll see.....

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>To be fair, I didn't think the Stydahar would bump due to a stain on the back, but the front was so nice and it's such a high dollar card I thought it worth the review fee. Also, 4 of the first order of 15 that I sent in were graded under the new .5 scale, so not a huge surprise they didn't bump. Take those out and I'm 3 for 13, still not great. The one I am most disappointed with is the Jim Brown, I am really shocked that it did not bump. Otherwise, about what I expected. The Langer and Winslow bumps paid for the entire submission and then some, and I still have a sub of '48 Leaf and '52 Bowman large HOF RCs yet to pop so it's all gravy with the bumps I get there. I do expect some bumps, particularly with the Doak Walker and Bednarik Leafs and the McElhenny Bowman. We'll see.....

Jasen >>

FYI, I've gotten lots of bumps over the past couple of years, but one set that I have had ZERO luck with is the 1948 Leaf. Not one single solitary bump from any I have sent in. They were all 5-6-7 grades...Usually the little sticker from the grader says "corners"... Hopefully you can get the tide turned for us all Jasen..lol..I've got a couple there in one of my orders right now..Still hoping they will finally see things my way...lol

Also, 20% bumpage, even when you send your best and brightest and you've had a very good submission. I've sent in anywhere between 10-15 review orders over the past few years (they were doing reviews even before the .5 change) and 20-25% has typically been my best submissions, although the last few (2009) have been closer to 10-15%...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options

<< <i>Also, 20% bumpage, even when you send your best and brightest and you've had a very good submission. I've sent in anywhere between 10-15 review orders over the past few years (they were doing reviews even before the .5 change) and 20-25% has typically been my best submissions, although the last few (2009) have been closer to 10-15%...

Jason >>

I'd get 20%+ full grade bumps when submitting before the half point system was implemented (during 'grader of death' days). By right, if I'm submitting the same quality misses today, the percentage going to 8.5 should be much higher than what used to bump to 9.

I really think 8.5's are graded more harshly than 9s. Based on submissions posted on these forums, not many half point grades are awarded at first submission. Those seem to be reserved for only those few special cards that are the cream of the crop of the lower full grade level. I'm willing to bet the graders scruitize the half grades much more than the full grades. So you'd be much more likely to have a card grade out a 9 than an 8.5. So the 1/2 grade system really isn't a half grade per se but more a placeholder for the nicest few % of all cards graded at the lower full point level.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Also, 20% bumpage, even when you send your best and brightest and you've had a very good submission. I've sent in anywhere between 10-15 review orders over the past few years (they were doing reviews even before the .5 change) and 20-25% has typically been my best submissions, although the last few (2009) have been closer to 10-15%...

Jason >>

I'd get 20%+ full grade bumps when submitting before the half point system was implemented (during 'grader of death' days). By right, if I'm submitting the same quality misses today, the percentage going to 8.5 should be much higher than what used to bump to 9.

I really think 8.5's are graded more harshly than 9s. Based on submissions posted on these forums, not many half point grades are awarded at first submission. Those seem to be reserved for only those few special cards that are the cream of the crop of the lower full grade level. I'm willing to bet the graders scruitize the half grades much more than the full grades. So you'd be much more likely to have a card grade out a 9 than an 8.5. So the 1/2 grade system really isn't a half grade per se but more a placeholder for the nicest few % of all cards graded at the lower full point level. >>

Good observation, and I agree with your assessment. Dead on, my bump %'s on reviews were actually HIGHER in the pre-half grade days than they are now. i thought maybe my vision was just getting worse...lol

Jason
  • Options
    Day 7 and counting for my '48 Leaf/'52 Bowman large review...I think they are taking their time to make sure the Doak Walker and Chuck Bednarik really are full-grade bumps image You are probably right, Jason, 48L is probably a nightmare to get bumped as I have always thought a lot of the cards from that set that I see are overgraded to begin with. Some of the 7s from that set that I see would be like 5s in another set with the same corners and centering. Just my 2 cents. Anyway, the Langer & Winslow bumps I've already gotten will pay for the entire sub., so any bumps here are where I'll make my gravy. Stay tuned...

Jasen
  • Options
    I sent in 5 lots and had horrible luck .

3 for 11 SGC crossover under $500.00
    0 for 7 PSA Review 500 +
    0 for 2 PSA Review 1500 +
    0 for 4 SGC Crossover 1000 +

I'm still waiting on a 15 card lot of under 500 review.
    I would say I've always run about 20% on reviews and probably 50% on sgc crossovers. But not this time. I'm probably done with the whole review process.
    What really shocked me was the crossover and many of the cards are very nice.
    Here's some scan of my SGC crossovers,

1957 Unitas -- I thought it was close, especially after seeing Mosh's 9
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/yakbigham/Football Collection/1957ToppsJohnUnitasSGC92.jpg
    1950 Fears -- -- Centering dead on
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/yakbigham/Football Collection/1950BowmanTomFearsSGC96.jpg
    1957 lane -- Looks like a 8 to me, but I guess I was wrong
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/yakbigham/Football Collection/11957ToppsDickLaneSGC88.jpg
    52 millner -- this is one of the few that crossed and I actually thought because of the centering it wouldn't.
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/yakbigham/Football Collection/1952bowmansmallWayneMillnerpsa8.jpg

I didn't have scans of all of my SGC , but heres a taste.
  • Options
    I think I'll start hoarding 8.5's. I bet they are better than a majority of the 9s that find their way into holders.
  • Options
    Got my Stydahar and Jim Brown RCs back today, and they do have the stickers on there to indicate why the cards did not bump. The Stydahar sticker says "T-B Centering", which I don't disagree with. The Jimmy Brown RC says "multiple corners", which are admittedly not "8" corners, but I think that's what makes this card a 7 to begin with. I really thought the centering and overall eye appeal of the card would carry it to a 7.5, but it was my first HOF RC, so maybe I'm biased. image

Jasen
  • Options
    My review results on getting the half-point bumps:
    1 for 6 Express Service Level ($500-$1,999)
    3 for 9 Regular Service Level (under $500)

The 1 of 6 was my 1953 Topps Mantle from PSA 6 to 6.5 (sweet!).
    My 3 for 9 were a '52 Bowman Large Otto Graham from PSA 7 to 7.5 (brilliant centering); '62 Jim Brown PSA 7 to 7.5 (not much corner wear, POP 1); and '72 Staubach RC PSA 8 to 8.5 (bright color, centered). All four are viewable on my "Weinhold's Top 250 Sportscards In The Hobby" Registry.

I also have had trouble getting half-point bumps on 1948 and 1949 Leaf Football cards - like my Waterfield, Pihos, Baugh, and others that are well centered with strong color. They placed sticky notes on them pointing to corner wear. I like the sticky notes to at least know the reason for not getting the bump, and didn't expect them to see them.

BTW, I did not qualify for the Set Registry "Special" because my cards were postmarked on the last day of April and I seemed to do OK. Maybe you get what you pay for? J/K image
  • Options
    You guys are making me nervous. I am about to spend $800 on reviews. I picked out close to 200 cards out of 4000.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    By cherry-picking out of a number that large, I bet you do pretty well. At least, I sure hope that you do!image
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is my first submission for review....I was very pleased with it but the card is worthy, no doubt.

I have sent in one other sub for review.....20 cards and 7 were bumped. The seven were all 1959 Topps.....Berra, Skowron, Richardson, Stengel All Star, Killebrew, Triandos and Billy Hunter.

My recommendation is to only send in the blazers and not only check centering, but most importantly check the corners. Also check for any minor print flaws. The card damn near has to be a 9 to get an 8.5. I sent some in that did not bump and at first glance, they are screamers....but the corners held them back.

If anyone sends in a large quantity, I fear that you will be very disappointed unless you have checked each card out thoroughly before submitting. Be careful not to waste money on this....although PSA would love that.

I heard Joe Orlando talk about this previously, and his view is that the card has to be technically about an 8.7 to 9.0 to get the bump. They don't have their grading set up in those numbers, but it has to be a very high end 8 to get the 8.5.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    Congrats Don. That Mantle definitely screams 8.5. Though I haven't sent in my review order yet, I was under the impression that cards that will bump have to be better than the worst 25% of 9s out there. So I'm assuming they have to be solid 9 candidates to have a chance to bump. I'm also thinking I'd have much better luck cracking and resubmitting which would probably result in more full grade bumps than half grade bumps via review. So I'll just be sending in the more expensive cards for review which are cards I don't want to chance to further damage downgrades or fictious 'EVID TRIM' or 'MIN SIZE'.
  • Options
    Just a reminder to those whom do choose to crack a card from its holder and resubmit it (rather than send it in holdered for review) - save the flip (the piece of paper with the grade on it inside the holder) when you crack it. Then, send the flip into the grading company later. I have read that they will deduct the tally from their population reports. This way, it can keep population numbers somewhat closer to what they really are, and help protect the value of the card you own.

Mariner, congrats on that 1959 Mantle. The color and print quality are killa! Terrific.
  • Options
    Well, I ended up sending off 89 cards total. 23 were >$100 the rest were <$100 plus 6 for my PSA renewal. I mostly picked cards that fit the 9 criteria so we'll see what happens. I'll post the results as I get them back.
  • Options

<< <i>FYI, I've gotten lots of bumps over the past couple of years, but one set that I have had ZERO luck with is the 1948 Leaf. Not one single solitary bump from any I have sent in. They were all 5-6-7 grades...Usually the little sticker from the grader says "corners"... Hopefully you can get the tide turned for us all Jasen..lol..I've got a couple there in one of my orders right now..Still hoping they will finally see things my way...lol

Jason >>

Well, Jason, score one for the good guys! I submitted 7 cards from '48 Leaf and one got one bump, but it was a nice one....Bobby Layne from a 6 to a 6.5! Other bumps were '50 Bowman Groza (7 to 7.5) and '52 Bowman McElhenny (7 to 7.5). On this sub, 3 for 15, bringing my total for all subs under the special to 6 for 33, a little under 20%. A couple I were disapppointed in were my '58 Jim Brown RC and my '48 Leaf Doak Walker, both of which I think were dead centered and should have bumped, but what can you do...Good luck to the rest of you on your subs.

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>FYI, I've gotten lots of bumps over the past couple of years, but one set that I have had ZERO luck with is the 1948 Leaf. Not one single solitary bump from any I have sent in. They were all 5-6-7 grades...Usually the little sticker from the grader says "corners"... Hopefully you can get the tide turned for us all Jasen..lol..I've got a couple there in one of my orders right now..Still hoping they will finally see things my way...lol

Jason >>

Well, Jason, score one for the good guys! I submitted 7 cards from '48 Leaf and one got one bump, but it was a nice one....Bobby Layne from a 6 to a 6.5! Other bumps were '50 Bowman Groza (7 to 7.5) and '52 Bowman McElhenny (7 to 7.5). On this sub, 3 for 15, bringing my total for all subs under the special to 6 for 33, a little under 20%. A couple I were disapppointed in were my '58 Jim Brown RC and my '48 Leaf Doak Walker, both of which I think were dead centered and should have bumped, but what can you do...Good luck to the rest of you on your subs.

Jasen >>

SWEET! Throw up some scans of that 48 Leaf when you get it back so we can use it for comparison sake.

Jason
  • Options
    I'm not real adept at putting up scans here on the boards, but I do have them up in my showcase here:

http://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/showcase.aspx?sc=829

I submitted the Walker, Layne, McAfee, Baugh, and Trippi from the ones listed in my showcase, only the Layne bumped. On the '52 Bowmans, I submitted the Marchetti, McElhenny, Donovan, Christiansen & Lary and only the McElhenny got a bump. Some of them I knew wouldn't bump, and I thought the Layne & McElhenny were definitely two of the stronger cards, but did expect a couple others. Who knows, may try some again...

Jasen
  • Options
    I sent in another review pile of 10 cards in two submissions, this time qualifying for the special. Results:

0 for 2 Express Service Level ($500-$1,999 / card)
    2 for 10 Regular Service Level (Under $500 / card)

This brings my totals for all my review submissions over the past six weeks back closer to the norm:

1 for 8 Express Service Level ($500-$1,999 / card)
    5 for 19 Regular Service Level (Under $500 / card)

6 for 27 grand review total for a 22.2% conversion percentage.

My best bump on the recent pile of ten was my 1958 Topps Sonny Jurgensen RC from PSA 8 to 8.5. This is one card that barely made my cut for submission because the color appeared dull such that the yellow frame didn't contrast against the white borders very much. Apparently, other card qualities like corners, image registration, and centering must have made up for it. I sometimes use a 10x loupe (like I think PSA does) to help me make review decisions.
  • Options
    I'm going through the cards I sent in for review and noticed that 3 of the cards I send in for review did NOT bump, but WERE REHOLDERED with the grade format in the new style (number grade below instead of on the same line). It was my understanding they were not going to do this for cards that didn't bump and is very weird that they did this with only some of the cards. Perhaps these were close to bumping and they need to take the card out of the holder for a closer look? Has anyone else noticed this??

Jasen
  • Options
    Ok I got the first batch back from the review special. These were the $100-$500 range cards. All in all, I'm pleased with the results especially based on other experiences posted here. I do want to say that a few of the cards I submitted were not expected to be bumped. I submitted them to reholder due to scratches, scuff marks or heavy price sticker residue on the old holder. The 1969 Mays and '68 Mantle fall into that category. The '61 Mantle AS had the original label style font that I wanted to replace with the updated label configuration. I figure if I can get them reholdered and have a slim chance for an upgrade, why not? Final tally is 7 upgrades out of 24 cards or just over 29% including one full grade bump on my 1970 Bench. I really consider the success rate as 7/21 or 33.3% because I never would have submitted the three cards listed above if not for wanting them reholdered. I still have another 60 cards pending which are in the under $100 value service. I'll post those when they pop.

Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 40047307 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 150 WILLIE MAYS Card US
    2 1 04224393 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1961 TOPPS 307 WORLD SERIES GAME 2 MANTLE SLAMS 2 HOMERS Card US
    3 1 08122877 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 388 BOB CLEMENTE Card US
    4 1 60059120 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 415 HANK AARON Card US
    5 1 40211654 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 417 JUAN MARICHAL Card US
    6 1 02162223 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 475 MICKEY MANTLE MVP Card US
    7 1 60040252 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 484 HANK AARON MVP Card US
    8 1 31558754 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1961 TOPPS 575 ERNIE BANKS ALL STAR Card US
    9 1 06434532 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 577 HANK AARON ALL STAR Card US
    10 1 09045165 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1969 TOPPS 95 JOHNNY BENCH ALL-STAR ROOKIE Card US
    11 1 08045748 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1969 TOPPS 100 HANK AARON Card US
    12 1 08045749 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1969 TOPPS 120 PETE ROSE Card US
    13 1 30387886 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1952 TOPPS 94 SAM MELE Card US
    14 1 30527452 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1956 TOPPS 164 HARMON KILLEBREW GRAY BACK Card US
    15 1 09062055 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1956 TOPPS 292 LUIS APARICIO Card US
    16 1 01060444 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1957 TOPPS 212 ROCCO COLAVITO Card US
    17 1 04499944 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1959 TOPPS 360 AL KALINE Card US
    18 1 02029521 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 578 MICKEY MANTLE ALL STAR Card US
    19 1 31024010 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1971 TOPPS 513 NOLAN RYAN Card US
    20 1 30290082 MINT 9 1970 TOPPS 660 JOHNNY BENCH Card US
    21 1 01173936 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1968 TOPPS 280 MICKEY MANTLE Card US
    22 1 08171858 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1968 TOPPS 247 REDS ROOKIES J.BENCH/R.TOMPKINS Card US
    23 1 04215552 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1963 TOPPS 553 1963 ROOKIE STARS Card US
    24 1 02057534 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1969 TOPPS 190 WILLIE MAYS Card US

Edited to add that I did put a sticker on the holders of the cards I wanted to have reholdered regardless of their bump status. Hopefully PSA complied with my request.
  • Options
    gemint,

grats

please let us know if they did reholder when you receive them back.

thanks

SKY
    The Sky Pilot

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Pretty solid results. How long did they take to pop?
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty solid results. How long did they take to pop? >>

Total Items: 24
    Date Received: 6/3/2009
    Date Shipped: 6/22/2009
    Order Status: Shipped

It was the 10 working day option. They didn't quite make it.
  • Options
    I posted my results in another thread, but I will post them here as well. My results were similar-8/25, including a full bump on the Palmer rookie.

EAR MINT-MINT 8 1959 TOPPS 202 ROGER MARIS Card US
    2 1 06456524 NEAR MINT 7 1959 TOPPS 222 BOBBY SHANTZ Card US
    3 1 01767764 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1959 TOPPS 310 LUIS APARICIO Card US
    4 1 09053946 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1959 TOPPS 360 AL KALINE Card US
    5 1 03412240 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 425 YOGI BERRA Card US
    6 1 04020358 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 472 YOGI BERRA MVP Card US
    7 1 09043657 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 541 ROLAND SHELDON Card US
    8 1 09038108 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1961 TOPPS 559 JIM GENTILE Card US
    9 1 40436872 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1961 TOPPS 576 ROGER MARIS ALL STAR Card US
    10 1 30030988 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1961 TOPPS 578 MICKEY MANTLE ALL STAR Card US
    11 1 09044852 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1961 TOPPS 579 WILLIE MAYS ALL STAR Card US
    12 1 08066015 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1963 TOPPS 300 WILLIE MAYS Card US
    13 1 31039722 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1964 TOPPS 300 HANK AARON Card US
    14 1 30754623 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1964 TOPPS 541 BRAVES ROOKIES P.ROOF/P.NIEKRO Card US
    15 1 04516945 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1965 TOPPS 250 WILLIE MAYS Card US
    16 1 02515628 MINT 9 1966 TOPPS 126 JIM PALMER Card US
    17 1 01785342 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1966 TOPPS 555 RON PERRANOSKI Card US
    18 1 02515641 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1967 TOPPS 200 WILLIE MAYS Card US
    19 1 01737146 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1967 TOPPS 400 BOB CLEMENTE Card US
    20 1 02089310 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1967 TOPPS 476 TONY PEREZ Card US
    21 1 02515648 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1967 TOPPS 558 ORIOLES ROOKIES M.BELANGER/B.DILLMAN Card US
    22 1 03065538 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1967 TOPPS 580 ROCKY COLAVITO Card US
    23 1 08095783 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1967 TOPPS 600 BROOKS ROBINSON Card US
    24 1 11663526 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1967 TOPPS 605 MIKE SHANNON Card US
    25 1 30754631 NEAR MINT-MINT+ 8.5 1969 TOPPS 100 HANK AARON
  • Options

<< <i>I posted my results in another thread, but I will post them here as well. My results were similar-8/25, including a full bump on the Palmer rookie.
    >>

Some nice bumps. That '61 Gentile must have made your day!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, nice going with the Palmer rookie! image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I posted my results in another thread, but I will post them here as well. My results were similar-8/25, including a full bump on the Palmer rookie.
    >>

Some nice bumps. That '61 Gentile must have made your day! >>

I have to decide if I want to keep it, or downgrade to an 8. The 61 set is my favorite, so I might hang on to it. I definitely plan to sell the Palmer 9 and replace it with an 8.
  • Options
    Finally got my last grades back. 16 card order got 5 bumps:

1976 TOPPS 257 RANDY GRADISHAR 10
    1976 TOPPS 158 RANDY WHITE 10
    1990 ACTION PACKED ROOKIE UPDATE 38 JUNIOR SEAU 10
    1990 ACTION PACKED ROOKIE UPDATE 39 CORTEZ KENNEDY 10 (POP 1)
    2002 UPPER DECK XL 362 ALAN FANECA 10

Jason

• Options

<< <i>gemint,

grats

please let us know if they did reholder when you receive them back.

thanks

<STRONG>SKY</STRONG> >>

They did reholder the cards I asked them to. The others that didn't bump didn't get reholdered. So if you want a new holder, be sure to put a sticky on the old holder requesting it. The downside is the reholdered cards didn't retain the notes stating why the card didn't bump. That's not too bad though since I wasn't expecting any of those to bump.

On a side note, my '61 Aaron didn't bump because of top to bottom centering according to the note. The centering measures 60-40 which is within the guidelines of a 9. So why is 60-40 good enough for a 9 but not good enough for an 8.5??? Same goes for my '69 Aaron. Top to bottom centering is 60-40 yet that's what they pointed to as the reason for not upgrading.
  • Options
    Here are the Aarons. Do they meet the 60-40 criteria in your opinion and, if so, should they be 8.5s assuming the corners are sharp and no significant print defects?

• Options
    Here are scans of my successes along with the background behind a few of the cards.

I purchased this '56 Killebrew raw off eBay several years ago. I wish I had bid to win the equally nice '56 Mantle and '52 Snider being auctioned at the same time. I contacted the winner of the Mantle and he ended up getting a GAI 8.5 on it.

I won a 1970 set that included a PSA 9 Bench. I felt my 8 was every bit as strong as that 9, so I sold the 9 and kept the 8. This review vindicated my decision.

• Options
    I usually have pretty good luck with reviews I select. I submitted 26 cards and got 4- 9 to 10 bumps including the first Holsum Griese and the first '77 Larry Little. I hope they decide to run that special a couple more times this year !!!!
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.