Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1954 or 1955 Topps?

I want to start on one of these sets starting with the stars in PSA and eventually either the commons raw or graded. I am probably going to have to settle for PSA 5-7 cards. Which one of these would you start first?

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    No question 54. I actually kind of like 55 more, but there are way too many Clemente and Koufax collectors to fight with over nice examples of their rookies. Not nearly as many Kaline and Banks collectors...but the Aaron will be a killer.
  • Options
    1954 has hank, ernie, kaline rookies
    55 has clemente and koufax

pick your favorite players from those and decide
  • Options
    You can't go wrong with either set really. '54 of course has Aaron, Banks and Kaline rookies, but many are partial to the horizontal look of the '55s which has Koufax and Clemente rookies. Good luck in which ever one you choose.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neither. No Mantles.
  • Options

<< <i>Neither. No Mantles. >>

That was my first thought as well! But both are VERY nice sets, the '54 has 2 Williams cards if that sways you. Also, why are some posters omitting the Killebrew rookie in the '55 set? I know it gets outshined by Koufax & Clemente but he's still a H.O.F. member.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Correction..EITHER, no Mantles to overpay for...Yankee fans, just like their owner, throw money around like water image
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Markmac,

You can't go wrong either way. Here are my thoughts:

(1) Both sets, at 206 cards (1955) and 250 cards (1954) are manageable in size, even when compared with the other 1950's sets.
    (2) While PSA is beginning to label the back colors (white or grey) on certain 1954's, there are ZERO widely accepted variations in either set. In other words, there is no "master set". The set is the set. 1953 is the only other Topps set from the 1950's in this category.
    (3) 1954 has the tougher series between #51 and #75, and 1955 has the tougher higher numbers, but even these tougher series are readily available and aren't "impossible" like some of the higher number series in the other 1950's sets and even sets into the 1960's and 1970's.
    (4) No "missing cards" or skip-numbered cards in the 1954 set. 1955 set is numbered to 210 but is only 206 cards. To me, 1954 is so "pure". No variations, 250 cards, #'d 1-250.
    (5) Cards from both sets are readily available and affordable in mid-grade.

I am 8 cards away from a complete 1954 set in PSA 4 or better (of course 4 of those cards are of players named Aaron, Banks, Kaline, and Mays), and 28 cards away from a complete 1955 set in PSA 4 or better, and I can tell you it has been a blast working on these sets. As you can see, I could talk forever about them, so feel free to PM me if there's anything more I can help with!

Good luck in whatever you decide.

-Tom
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    I have alot of raw dups from those years, and even have an extra Hank RC in PSA4. LMK

Dave
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Hello...best of luck with your decision. I personally like the horizontal format. The only thing I can add that has not been mentioned is the price of both years. I looked on VCP for an all graded set of both years in PSA 6, and the values are...1954 $6677 and 1955 $6360. Total set values are roughly the same, however the 55 set has approximately 45 less cards.

Jeff
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

//////////////////////////

but if I HAD to choose between the two, I'd go with the '55 set because I like the layout/design better; then I'd purchase a '54 Aaron RC to add to my singles collection.

PoppaJ
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i like them both also but i started the 55 first, they are very nice until you get to the big 2 and some of the stars.
    good luck
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    *Correction..EITHER, no Mantles to overpay for...Yankee fans, just like their owner, throw money around like water*

Except for the seats at the new Stadium
  • Options
    jersterjerster Posts: 828 ✭✭✭
    How about both??

1954/55 Topps Hockey. One of the greatest sets ever!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'd do the 55.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I'd really like either...But If I could only pick one I would do the 55 topps set.
    The color on that set is awesome!
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Great question. Go for both! It really comes down to your own gut feeling as both sets hold almost equal value and both offer a couple key different but significant RC HOFers. From a purely collectors perspective, I would choose which card style do you prefer? You can always pick up a '55 Clemente or '55 Koufax (or visa versa) for a few hundred bucks if you must have that one RC so I think if you are building an entire set you should focus on the style/beauty of the overall 200+ cards in that set.

I personally used to have an issue with the '54 Set b/c the lack of top border but have got over that. The '55 set is nice but don't like how there is a cheaper alternative and very similar styled '56 set. In sum, by a few commons of each, flip through them, and ask yourself, which ones pull the old heart strings harder? That's what I'd do.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd really like either...But If I could only pick one I would do the 55 topps set.
    The color on that set is awesome! >>

Easy. I picked the 55s. In my opinion, the best looking cards Topps has every printed. I think the set would be much much more sought after had it contained a Mantle. My solution was to also build the 55 Bowman set as soon as I finished the 55 Topps.

Click for pics of my complete 1955 Topps set

Nothing against the 54 Topps set either. I'm sure I will build that set one day too. Right now I am working on the 55 Bowman, 58 Topps and 60 Topps sets. I have the 55 Topps and 59 Topps sets, both 100% complete.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    SS I agree, however 1953 is up there too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    NowPanicNowPanic Posts: 128 ✭✭
    I started putting together a graded set of 55's last year. I got up all the way to 45% complete or so & spent only $6 per card on average on ebay. Right now is a great time to build a set like this.
    Granted they were 3,4's & 5's w/ a few 6's. Just my vote!
  • Options
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>click to see my whole 55 set with pics >>

////////////////////////

Hi Ted,

Very nice set!!!

I hope you do the right thing by finishing it off with no less than a PSA 8 Clemente RC! The $5,000+ would be worth it!

Congrats image

PoppaJ
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I did '55 and I think if I could do it again might do '54, even though '55 was fun. Also you are getting koufax, clemente, and killer in '55 you dont get otherwise.
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    Both Awesome sets.....nice pictures RipublicaninMass. Almost complete....keep going.

I've always been partial to the 54 set because it's so colorful and vibrant. Love the Vertical cards.
    The 1955 set is the same photos on the 1956 set, and I feel the 1956 set adds more because
    of the background action shot.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck on whichever you decide.
    Nate
  • Options
    I agree with both SS and winpitcher that the '55 topps set is the most beautiful designed set ever! There's no prettier cards than'55 topps baseball when they are in high-grade with those snow white borders and rich, bold, high-gloss colors. And I agree '53 topps in high grade is a very close second. The mid-series '53's in psa 8 & 9 are simply works of art.....
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp