Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

fascinating "grail" coin coming up for the Pillar Dollar folks

I don't how i overlooked this news, but Victor across the street was kind enough to post it

A fascinating story of a super rare coin. I too think the estimate is too low. Anyone have a guess what it will bring, as it appears to be the finest known and quite rare?

1770 Columbia Pillar Dollar, NGC MS64, pre-auction estimate $80k

click here, neat story!

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Neat story, indeed!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Fascinating story.

It reminds me of the 1933 penny.

"There was no requirement for the Mint to produce any pennies in 1933 because there were already enough in circulation. Requests were, however, received for sets of coins dated 1933 to be placed under the foundation stones of buildings erected in that year, and the Mint obliged by striking a small number of coins. The result was to create a rarity that many people thought could turn up in their change.

It has been reported that one example had been placed under the foundation stone of St. Mary’s Church, Hawksworth Wood, Kirkstall, Leeds, England. Three documented examples had been placed in foundation stones of buildings erected in 1933. In September 1970, during construction at Church of St. Cross, Middleton, one of these examples was stolen by thieves who managed to remove the coin from the church's cornerstone. In response, the Bishop of Ripon ordered that the St. Mary's Church 1933 Penny be unearthed and sold as a protective measure to prevent its theft. It was sold at Sotheby's Auction house on 24 November 1972."

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/History_of_the_British_penny_(1901-1970)

The Colombian 1770 Pillar Dollar is a stunning coin. Should do well at auction.

• As a collector of Potosi, I stopped well short of the 1770 8R in the Whittier Collection in 2005. As an NGC 64, it sold for over 10K with the juice. This coin has the rarity (not just condition) and the story to boot! If I were to venture a guess, I'd say 250K ish.

Gary
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary