Home PSA Set Registry Forum

What % of a set must you acquire before you register it? (PART TWO)

I know that some may dissagree, but I would like some opions...

I am not sure what difference it makes if you register a small number of cards (or even 1 card)within a set.

The resgistry is Free & Open to any and all who want to "register" their PSA cards.

You can bet that PSA doesn't care.
They want you to get excited about it so you will get all your cards graded by them
or even crack those BGS or SGC cards to resubmit!

I Love the concept and keep up with my PSA graded cards with it. Plus it is a great
"checklist" that helps me get excited about getting new cards.

but then again I am not a card snob,
I am just a little collector.

imageimage

Comments

• It makes no difference

You do what you want, The registry is a tool for the collector. If you have one card in a set and intend to collect that set, then register the darn card!

Don't worry about the guys who extoll the virtues of waiting till they have 50% or whatever before registering the set. Let them do it their way and you do it yours..............
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I AM a card snob...and I think the registry is a great service! It doesn't matter to me whether you're serious about getting the whole set graded or not. I have some sets like my 1967 baseball that will end up being 100% graded...and some others like my 1961 set that are complete but will only be partially graded.

BOTTOM LINE: It's a great tool to keep track of your inventory.

Regards,

Alan

• FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    FB,

So far, I've registered those sets that I'm either working on actively, or have a larger percentage than just a few stars. Those have been the 67, 68, 69, 70, 72, 72 OPC and 84 Donruss. I have most of the stars slabbed from 71, 73 and 74 but I haven't done much with them lately - so I haven't posted them yet. Maybe when the 72 slows down...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Technically... you can register a set with as little as 1 card.... (maybe even 0.... I haven't tried that).... but personally, I would only register a set if it is something that I am actively going to work on, or it is already complete to the point I want it to be....
  • Big Kid -
    Here's a vote for "do what feels right for you". My main set is 69' Topps. I have a complete set about 61% PSA graded. I also have a run of pretty nice Topps sets from 77' thru 81'. As a sideline I have bellied up to the set registry bar by starting checklists of each of these sets picking up odds and ends as I go along. These sets currently contain anywhere from 3 or 4 cards or up to 3% of the set PSA graded. Like you have mentioned, it is a fun way to watch your efforts grow and stay organized in one place. I also took this plunge on the newer material to enjoy the comradery of the set registry group. Feels right to me!
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    I started my set registry with 3 cards and it was approved within 48 hours. There are 100 cards in the complete set, so my start up was 3%.

This is a fantastic was to promote the resell value/demand and generate new clients /submissions.

I applaud PSA for this smart low-cost marketing move - now if they would only advertise in the Beckett Monthly's?
  • The set registry is a great tool to let others know what your interested in. I have never had a dealer contact me after submitting multiple checklists of cards I needed. However, my set in the registry has actually grown due to deals constructed after my set was spotted by other collectors!

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • I agree with those that say the registry is for anyone no matter how much of the set is graded. Most people have come to accept this although it wasn't always that way. I remember when the 1969 set was first listed (it was the first set added after PSA expanded the registry past the mid-50's), I was the first to register my set which was less than 10% complete at the time. I was nearly crucified on these boards when people saw this "set" listed which was far from complete. The comments ranged from 25% to 100% for the % completion they thought was required before listing the set. When I explained that the set was complete but not fully graded and I intended to grade it out over time, the naysayers started to back down from their position.

Now the registry has grown in both the number of sets listed and the number of participants. You're no longer putting your set up against only the Merkel and Fogel gem sets. There are plenty of <1% complete sets on the registry.

Good luck!
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • thanks for the support guys!

I knew I was not alone out there!!!!
    imageimage