Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 D 25C DOC....pulled this from a NF String roll today...warning..lots of pics...clip? Update 10/

I would appreciate opinions on this....is there such a thing as a "retained clip"???

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Update 10/19/09

imageimage

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I could be very wrong but it looks like possibly a partial straight clip.

Post it on the CONECA Mint Error forum and see what Mike Diamond says.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's called an incomplete straight clip and if so VERY AWESOME and worth quite a bit.

Nice Find!

• << <i>I think it's called an incomplete straight clip and if so VERY AWESOME and worth quite a bit.

Nice Find! >>

• Very nice find!
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be an ISC the planchet would have to have been punched across the incomplete shear at the end of the coin metal strip, and then the coin would have been struck over the planchet subsequently, meaning the lettering and design would not be deformed. This one's a tough call because elements of the lettering look as if damage was done to them post striking, and other elements look like the coin could conceivably have been struck over the damage. Definitely worth the price of a submission IMO.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I hesitate to weigh in because the last time I did on an error I got my butt handed to me. But I'm leaning toward post-striking damage particularly because of the second L in DOLLAR looks to be flattened after striking. On the other hand, the odd surface with the pitting between LIBERTY and the Q looks more like a problem with the planchet to me. Then again, what's going on with the truncation of the bust? That looks like a die crack.

I guess my opinion is die crack/planchet flaw/post-strike damage. image

What does the edge look like where the gouges cross the rim?

Cool coin and great pix!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    2009 and the US mint has quality control issues. who would of thunked it.image

I guess the mint has issues just like the rest of the country nowadays..
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I think it's pretty obvious that it was cut before being struck as the pressure of the striking filled or partially filled the gouge, also if you look at the close-ups the line is not straight, it's jagged from metal flow.
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    btt......for the evening crowdimage
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    My assessment is a damaged planchet... it had a deep cut in it. The strike and subsequent metal flow partially filled it, left weak devices near it, and where it flowed back together on the obverse it looks like a die crack....

I have never seen one like this before!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My assessment is a damaged planchet... it had a deep cut in it. The strike and subsequent metal flow partially filled it, left weak devices near it, and where it flowed back together on the obverse it looks like a die crack....

I have never seen one like this before! >>

I agree. The strip was severely damaged but I tend to doubt it
    was caused by the shears since it's so ragged.

I'd guess it goes back to the bonding machine (rollers) when the
    strip was put together.
    Tempus fugit.
  • frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    I'd be curious to hear what Fred has to say about this.
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    Cool find! image
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.

• btt......grade in first post.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice high grade error, just an awesome find.
  • btt......for the evening crowd

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file