Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ever have the actual athlete contact you through E-bay?

Hey everyone,

Okay, so I have listed a Russ Francis autograph card of mine on E-bay that I believe is very rare. I am extremely sad to sell it (held it for 8 years despite numerous offers), but my wife and I need the money right now. It's garnering a decent amount of attention since it's from the 1997 Upper Deck Legends football autograph set which is generally considered one if not the best autograph card set ever released and there are some really passionate collectors of the set. I have been fielding questions left and right since I list it when I get this question tonight:

Q: Ken, I am honored that you have presented this card of mine in your auction. A friend sent the info to me. If and when this cards sells, I would be proud indeed to send something special, signed to the winning bidder. I would also welcome the opportunity to speak with this person to thank them for adding my card to their collection. I feel it was a great priviledge to have played in the NFL for two great teams, the Patriots and the 49ers, and the fans who collect our cards are so very special to me. They changed my life into one of great highs, and for the most part, rode out the lows with me and my teamates over the years. I love them all. Much Aloha, Russ Francis #81

I practically fell out of my chair when I read the question, opinions on whether this could actually be from Russ Francis? The e-bay id is "patriot1975". I answered it as if it was truly him because I would like to not be a cynical SOB, but in the back of my head I have to think it might be a prank. If it is actually him, that is one heck of a generous offer. Let me know what you think.

Ken

Comments

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I imagine it is him. The old football players are all great.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Meteorite,

Yes, I agree about the older players. I am a pro/college HOF football autograph collector and write players all the time. They are often willing to answer questions, write you back....I have even had some offer to call me on the phone. Mr. Bill Dudley and Mr. Al Wistert come to mind immediately. The way the question is written, I am definitely leaning towards it being legit. Thanks for the input.

Ken
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully it is true....but tomorrow is..........................
    maybe its a set up for 4/1
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Ken, I know nothing about that set, so please keep that in mind... but what makes this one so valuable? It looks like there are other (non-1997 UD) auto cards of his. Is it just because of this particular set? Just curious...
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With some variations, it sounds like something he's likely sent out before and well thought out...doesn't sound like a quick type job from a prankster.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    It's him.

I have dealt with him.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Closest I've come is selling a card to Blake DeWitt's mom.

My buddy sold an autographed card of Broncos TE Tony Scheffler. The buyer paid by money order.... signed by Tony Scheffler.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • The 1997 Legends set is THE greatest football autograph set out there. It has a cult following and the collectors like me that wish I started it back in 1997. With the way it is now, it'll take a lifetime to collect and the value has nowhere to go but up.
  • Hey,

Okay, so I am convinced. Here is a follow-up message from Mr. Francis:

Ken, No....... this is old #81, and not some nut job having fun. I really just wanted to thank you as one of those true Patriots fans who has made my life very special indeed. Each one of you true fans, just like you, are very rare people in my eyes, and in my heart. I know business is tough, but you have had this card for a long time, and now you can pass it on to another Pats fan to enjoy with all the other cards they most surely have. I am honored that you kept it for this long. Just for fun I will share with you that I grew up in Kailua, Hawaii, but graduated Pleasant Hill High School in PH Oregon. Then went on to the UofOregon on a track scholorship/javelin. Roomed with Steve Prefontaine in college and Darryl Stingley with the Pats. Let me know if I can help. Be well and aloha, Russ

What a class act, I am definitely blown away.

Ken
  • earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

sounds like a real nice guy. but not the best track record with roommates.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome. He was a solid player and apparently a solid guy as well!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW! Sounds like a real down to earth great guy! Maybe he realizes how great life has treated him ... just look at his two roommates ... both GREAT athletes whose life/career came to tragic ends in the prime of their lives.

PS I doubt there were many people who roomed with two eventual professional athletes in college and the pros whose careers came to such tragic ends.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Hi Ken,

Based upon his emails, I would believe it is Mr. Francis. But I suppose if you want the ULTIMATE proof, you could always ask him to send you a picture of his Super Bowl Ring as he was a member the 1984-85 San Francisco 49ers.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. Mr. Francis had 5 receptions for 60 yards in Super Bowl XIX.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I have minty examples of these, but am too lazy to hunt.

A couple of RF items

Some other famous island boys

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    I thought I remembered Russ resembling Tom Selleck from his Magnum PI days.
  • Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    After reading this thread, I decided to go look up a card or two I have from this set to see what they are selling for now. I don't know how accurate the information is, this is just what Beckett says. I thought I would just throw it out there for everyone.

Upper Deck Legends Autographs
    Randomly inserted in retail packs at the rate of one in five foil and one in 10 magazine/retail packs, this set is a partial parallel version of the main set with an actual player autograph on 162-different regular issue cards. Some were available only via a mail-in redemption that carried an expiration date of 10/15/98. Although Billy Johnson, Fred Dean, Russ Francis, Sid Luckman, Bob Trumpy, Willie Wood, and Mike Webster did have redemption cards inserted in packs, none of those players returned any cards signed to Upper Deck. Therefore, Upper Deck substituted other autographs for those players. Mike Webster and Russ Francis signed cards appeared on the secondary market at a later date. There has been speculatation that they released the signed cards themselves.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Once, an old timer (Boxer) bid on one of my items that he was in.

Sadly he did not win the item.

I also have had relatives of athletes bid and win.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • dfr52dfr52 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, the set has been a popular point of discussion this week on the SCF, especially your Francis auction.

Super Bowl XXVIII: Buffalo Bills vs Dallas Cowboys -
    Running back Emmitt Smith rushed for 132 yards and 2
    touchdowns earning Super Bowl MVP honors as the Cowboys
    defeated the Bills 30-13 to win their second consecutive NFL
    title.
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i once sold a reggie jackson rookie to former NFL player Mike Mamula..
    ·p_A·
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    i once sold a Mike Mamula rookie to former MLB player reggie jackson..
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    well i bet Mike Mamula spent more with me on his Reggie Jackson rookie than Reggie Jackson spent with you on his Mike Mamula rookie..
    ·p_A·
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    When I was doing older Oiler and 'Stros/Colt 45 TTMs, a lot of the "unknown" players would reply saying how much they appreciated me requesting their autograph.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

<< <i>When I was doing older Oiler and 'Stros/Colt 45 TTMs, a lot of the "unknown" players would reply saying how much they appreciated me requesting their autograph.

image >>

Wow thats really cool! I have never recieved a personal note in all my TTM's even if I did ask the player a question.

WTB: Gary Woods 1985 Cubs Topps TTM. I think I have sent him at least 5 to different addresses.
  • intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    never but i imagine it would be an awesome experience