Home U.S. Coin Forum

I thought WHAT a deal!

ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
Was so exicted to see one of these that wasn't moon money. I could see someone coming in on this last minute and making a mistake. Was this a mistake or an attempt to sell an item for way more money than it's was worth. I'll let you figure out some of it from the auction and the coin (s) involved.

Ebay auction

Comments

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I dont see whats wrong image
  • 1822 CBH, PCGS VF35.

What are you driving at? Nothing strikes me as 'off' in the listing.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Look again and think "key" date.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Look again and think "key" date. >>

i must be very slow today. i do not get it either.
  • phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Seller error I'm sure. It is listed in Quarters and I assume you thought 25/50.
    Well for me and I think many others. It's way when you write a professional document I sure poof read my work many time but in the end I have other trusted person read it and give me thier thoughts. Your seeing the coin don't look at it.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seller error I'm sure. It is listed in Quarters and I assume you thought 25/50. >>

hm. i guess i am used to that. i look at the half eagle section a lot
    and am used to seeing dollars, eagles, and double eagles in the
    area. I think people choose two categories to stick it in or just simply
    made a mistake.

<< <i>Well for me and I think many others. It's way when you write a professional document I sure poof read my work many time but in the end I have other trusted person read it and give me thier thoughts. Your seeing the coin don't look at it. >>

why not way.
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the "so-called" 1822/1...not really an overdate, but for years it was collected as one.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
    Well I must say that since the seller is new and he did list an 1830 in the quarter too is more than likely a mistake. The problem with the Internet and not having the coin in hand to see it's size can be a problem. Your in the bust quarters section scanning dates you need or need to upgrade having most of them. You see the 1822 and go to look at the coin skipping the detail at first to give the coin a scan. That's my normal method anymore after being on Ebay since 1997 and I still catch myself every once in awhile. The bust quater rarely have an 1822 or many coins in the whole section. So you think you know where you are and what your looking at in a PCGS holder. Had this auction been closing in say 2 minutes I might have kicked off a bid without much reading.
    You wouldn't have read the 50C on the slab?
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Point taken. I have done the same for coins with bins listed in the wrong catagory.
    Its just not the same when you take a link right to the auction vs. finding it from a search result list.
    I'm on dialup you can't screw around if you want something bad enough. The coins look the same and I'm a date collector not an Overton chaser. Actually I bookmarked this at work not having time to read about it and it had 17 hours to close. Tonight I came in and took a closer look and it's price. What a disappointment and I just got to thinking boy I need to watch out had I come in on this with a minute or two left I may have pulled the trigger.
  • RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>

<< <i>Well for me and I think many others. It's way when you write a professional document I sure poof read my work many time but in the end I have other trusted person read it and give me thier thoughts. Your seeing the coin don't look at it. >>

why not way. >>

You're not your.
    imageRIP
  • I'm the guy who was selling the CBHs (listed under quarters- never noticed it, until an acquaintance said: man, there's a ruckus goin on !).

The winning bidder for the 1822 VF35 IS GETTING HIS MONEY BACK (he thought he was buying a quarter)

I offered the same to the high bidder on the 1830EF45, as well.

The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to keep them, or at least one .
    (I'm having a lot of trouble: trading vs collecting)
    WILL WORK FOR CENTS, QUARTERS, HALVES, DOLLARS....

1879-O{Rev}: 1st coin of my "secret set"
    imagemy eBay

• << <i>I'm the guy who was selling the CBHs (listed under quarters- never noticed it, until an acquaintance said: man, there's a ruckus goin on !).

The winning bidder for the 1822 VF35 IS GETTING HIS MONEY BACK (he thought he was buying a quarter)

I offered the same to the high bidder on the 1830EF45, as well.

The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to keep them, or at least one .
    (I'm having a lot of trouble: trading vs collecting) >>

WELCOME to the RUCKUS BOARD!! image
  • rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478

That was a nice thing to do.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the ruckus.
    It was kind of slow around here.

Oh yeah. image
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Hi, RaginsteveK, and welcome!!

Glad the "ruckus" got you on board, hope you
    stick around. This was a fairly minor ruckus
    for this place, maybe we can come up with
    something better.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• I made almost the same exact mistake not too long ago. I did a search on ebay for classic head large cents and found a really nice PCGS AU for an incredible price so I had to hop on it as fast as I could. So, I did a BIN and went back to admire my amazing coin only to see that it was a half cent. I felt like an idiot when I emailed the seller to tell him of my mistake who I later found out is an esteemed member of this forum. He was like.... didn't you see the half cent on the coin? It was not an easy thing to say that I hadn't but I learned something from it and any time you can do that, it's a good thing. The seller even left me a pos feedback which really surprised me but I thought it was a very classy thing to do. I still to this day doubt that he knows that I'm a member of this forum too, I was way too embarrassed to tell him I was. For all I know he may have made a mistake listing in under large cents as well.
  • dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    I don't see the issue...yeah the seller listed it in quarters, but if a buyer can't tell that's a half by the size of the coin and item title, oh and THE HOLDER, then he or she shouldn't be buying coins online. Some people are just really dumb I guess.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file