Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bought a set of cards from maxxblue1 (eBay) as advertised "no less than PSA 8" well the gr

Yeah, so I understand that when someone says "so and so will get a __" that I should not take what they say seriously. In this case I bought a set of Topps Hockey Cards (1980) and the seller (on eBay) advertised that (this is a direct quote)

"Beautiful Set Complete (264 Cards) with 2 Unmarked Checklist,

All Cards Centered, Borders and Corners Are Mint

Bossy, Bourque, Gretzky, Gartner, Goulet and many more

Beautiful Sharp Corners, Great Color, Nice Backs

Not Graded, In my opinion, there is not a card that is less than a PSA 8,

Rare Unscratched Set that was collected as a collector of high grade cards"

Well, the grades are in and I have 6's on the bourque, Gretzky, and Bossy ...and two trimmed...total waste of money and time.

Just letting everyone here know about my experience with this seller...

...I know it is slim...but is there "anything" I can do (other than leave him a neg. on eBay)

Thanks!

Patrick

Comments

• Options
    Patrick, I think the problem is that he only offered his opinion on the grades, and the time to have disagreed with him would have been after you received them in the mail from him, not after you inspected them yourself and submitted them to PSA. Maybe contact the seller and see if it was unintentional and see if he will work with you voluntarily.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Patrick, I think the problem is that he only offered his opinion on the grades, and the time to have disagreed with him would have been after you received them in the mail from him, not after you inspected them yourself and submitted them to PSA. Maybe contact the seller and see if it was unintentional and see if he will work with you voluntarily. >>

You are right, that is why I know the chances are slim...he offered in the eBay listing his "opinion" which is something salesmen do as "an out"

It is not the end of the world, I bought two sets from him, a 1979 OPC set that was $589 listed in the same condition...I felt bad that I was returning that set (because it was in very bad shape) I did not return the Topps set as I felt that maybe I could try to salvage the money spent on it, rather than return two sets of cards to the same seller, who is just going to re-list them and drop them off on somebody else (as he did with the 1979 OPC's)

Patrick
  • Options
    My main goal here is to get the word out about this seller (maxxblue1) so that hopefully before somebody spends money on his cards, they look him up here or on the google machine before placing their bids.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    didn't you realize they were 6's before you sent them in?
    sounds like you agreed with his pregrades for you to send them in..
    not much you can do
  • Options

<< <i>didn't you realize they were 6's before you sent them in?
    sounds like you agreed with his pregrades for you to send them in..
    not much you can do >>

I knew they wouldn't get 8's, but the bourque and gretzky are the high dollar cards in the set...I was doing two things by sending them in, 1) trying to recoup money, and 2) prove in the process that this guys "opinion" is very very inaccurate for future potential customers.

And then there were the trimmed cards, sheesh! Lol.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Not to say you do not have a legit complaint, but PSA is on a roll lately with the Evidence of Trimming notation on pack fresh cards. They very well may not be trimmed, so I wouldnt necessarily blame the seller on that.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    My opinion only: if you buy anything graded/ungraded whether it be single cards or unopened packs , you should have between 24 to 72 Hours to inspect the item and then decide whether you want it or not. If you don't want it send it back get a refund, Not let me send this in to a TPG co. make you wait 1 to 6 weeks see what they say and if it isn't the grade I want or it won't bump up to PSA 9 (so I can make a bunch of money), I will send it back to you, give you a negative + 1 stars across the board and still get my money back and tell everyone what a POS seller u are! this is not kindergarden. sorry for my opinion (Not), but I remember ( in the old days) if I go to a card show and buy cards off a dealer/collector pay cash and then a couple days later I decide (oops I screwed up) I go and hunt down the show promoter and say give me my money back, the show promoter looks at me like a looney toon and says go off urself and good luck. if the cards came back PSA 9 or 10 or even 8, would we be bragging on the seller or keeping our mouth shut waiting for the sellers next auction. ( I think we know the answer).

was laughing at another thread earlier ( opps bought 3 to 6 boxes of wax) opened a couple packs seen alot of damage (water or what ever) instead of not opening anymore packs opened almost all the boxes and now I want all my money back (SAY WHAT?). what is wrong with this picture?

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>My opinion only: if you buy anything graded/ungraded whether it be single cards or unopened packs , you should have between 24 to 72 Hours to inspect the item and then decide whether you want it or not. If you don't want it send it back get a refund, Not let me send this in to a TPG co. make you wait 1 to 6 weeks see what they say and if it isn't the grade I want or it won't bump up to PSA 9 (so I can make a bunch of money), I will send it back to you, give you a negative + 1 stars across the board and still get my money back and tell everyone what a POS seller u are! this is not kindergarden. sorry for my opinion (Not), but I remember ( in the old days) if I go to a card show and buy cards off a dealer/collector pay cash and then a couple days later I decide (oops I screwed up) I go and hunt down the show promoter and say give me my money back, the show promoter looks at me like a looney toon and says go off urself and good luck. if the cards came back PSA 9 or 10 or even 8, would we be bragging on the seller or keeping our mouth shut waiting for the sellers next auction. ( I think we know the answer).

was laughing at another thread earlier ( opps bought 3 to 6 boxes of wax) opened a couple packs seen alot of damage (water or what ever) instead of not opening anymore packs opened almost all the boxes and now I want all my money back (SAY WHAT?). what is wrong with this picture?

imageimage >>

I agree with everything you said, and with what everyone else is saying, but I should have made it more clear that I was not trying to profit off of this set, but rather get a few cards for my own personal collection, sell the rest and hope to break as close to even as possible.

I purchased two sets from this guy and they were shipped in the same box to me...I returned one of them due to the condition and the fact that it cost 589 (price reflective of the condition he stated) this set I kept was 200.00...but the cards looked a little better than the 589's(maybe because of trimming?)...I kept it because I felt, like I said above, that I could keep a few and salvage as much money as possible later.

But then the seller lagged on the return, making excuses as to why he couldn't give me my money back, and had relisted the cards in the process...so I did a little investigative work, looking through his old history and found that he was buying regualr commons from random sellers, some who sell sheet cut cards.

Eventually I get the return money on the opc and mail the topps cards to psa...and here we are today.

I am not "out to get this guy" but rather informing the hobby that there is a guy who sells lots of sets on ebay that he says are "immaculate" when in fact they are far from that...and now we have proof through a professional grading service that the cards are far from that.

I am sure some of his buyers get the cards, say "yeah they look good" slap him a positive feedback, send in during the next grading special, then slap their faces for not waiting to leave feedback.

Then again I am sure some people just don't care...

Patrick
  • Options
    You should have returned it if you weren't happy. I know it's easy to tell a PSA 10 from a PSA 8, I'd think a PSA 8 and a PSA 6 would be a bit tougher to tell the difference but your opinion should have been more important than his OR PSA's.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    A PSA 6 could be an 8 grade card that's off center. In your investigation of the seller you discovered that he bought some commons from different sellers, some of which you claim sell sheet cut cards. If he bought them to fill in missing cards he looked at them for a split second to plug them into the set and probably didn't notice or purposely sell you trimmed cards. You on the other hand pulled them out and examined everything closely when you selected cards for grading. You didn't notice they were trimmed so why would he.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    lets not forget the following. card grading always has been and will always be subjective. even at PSA they are not perfect. fresh cards from packs come back EOT, then slabbed. fresh cards come back recolored but when resub'd come back as 9's. 5's get cracked out and comebacks as 9's and 10's.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    wow you guys are being harsh on Mullins5 - all he is saying is you might not want to buy from the ebay seller maxxblue1 since he appears to overgrade his cards.

thanks for the heads-up and I will not be buying from him.
  • Options

<< <i>was laughing at another thread earlier ( opps bought 3 to 6 boxes of wax) opened a couple packs seen alot of damage (water or what ever) instead of not opening anymore packs opened almost all the boxes and now I want all my money back (SAY WHAT?). what is wrong with this picture? >>

That was my thread and get your facts straight before you start ridiculing. Only requested a partial refund equal to the cost of the one completely ruined box. Plus, I only opened about 8 packs.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

<< <i>card grading always has been and will always be subjective. even at PSA they are not perfect. >>

For the same reasons of subjectivity, I have sworn off my all-time favorite sport... Synchronized Swimming.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    In the future do not believe anyone that says a card will grade PSA 8 or better.

If the cards would grade that they would have had them graded.

If you want PSA 8 cards buy PSA 8 cards.

Thanks for outing the guy, but I'm not sure what he did wrong other then puff up
    his description. The trimmed cards may or not be trimmed.

Sorry this happened to you.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    W
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>was laughing at another thread earlier ( opps bought 3 to 6 boxes of wax) opened a couple packs seen alot of damage (water or what ever) instead of not opening anymore packs opened almost all the boxes and now I want all my money back (SAY WHAT?). what is wrong with this picture? >>

That was my thread and get your facts straight before you start ridiculing. Only requested a partial refund equal to the cost of the one completely ruined box. Plus, I only opened about 8 packs. >>

Hello Bill, My mistake, you are correct just glanced over your posting (quick glance) and the one line just stuck in my head.

"Gum ruined at least 2 cards in every pack plus the usual wax damage to bottom card. "

just read every pack and assumed (made an arse out of me) you had opened them all. My apologies.

A few beers and 25 + years of retail = me jumping the gun and sticking my foot in my mouth, once again my apologies.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Mullins had a chance to return the set and get a refund. He didn't like the cards but figured he would still be able to salvage his money back on grading some cards. When the cards graded less than he expected he blamed only the seller for his problem. The situation could have been avoided if he returned the set for a refund or was better at determining how the cards would grade.

Looking at the set http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120373733288 it's the typical nice sharp set with centering issues. Several of the keys clearly wouldn't get a high unqualified grade based on the enlarged scans and the centering wouldn't improve with the cards in hand and a return option. With more experience grading you'll be able to return mint Ebay sets much quicker.
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    **wow you guys are being harsh on Mullins5 - all he is saying is you might not want to buy from the ebay seller maxxblue1 since he appears to overgrade his cards.

thanks for the heads-up and I will not be buying from him. **

I am with you Leathtech. Hang in there Patrick.