Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

CONTEST *CLOSED*: Please help me fight MS *Updated with additional prizes & a bake sale :)

In case any of you missed it, I had a series of auctions where the winner donated to my MS 150 fundraising efforts.

MS150 Completed Auctions Link

To date, I’ve raised $681 from CU members listed in the link ^ and for that, I greatly appreciate it. All 11 auctions went off without a hitch, which you gotta admit is pretty freaking sweet (if I do say so myself image ). But seriously, everyone got their items quickly, securely, and such.

While I truly enjoyed putting the auctions together, they did start to hit my pocketbook. With the exception of three (which were generously donated by yankeeno7, MeteoriteGuy, and Dboneesq), all items came from my collection. I sorta double-dipped myself and quite honestly, got to be a tad too much.

Anyway, I exceeded my original goal of $2,000 (currently at $2,166 with more on the way) but I want to raise more image I want to achieve “Top Fundraising” status and need a total of $3,500. Rather than just ask the kind and generous posters here, I’m putting together a unique contest to help entice additional donations.

So here’s the deal…

The contest will end April 15th or when I raise a total of $3,500 (whichever comes first). All donations are anonymous to the public, so no one can “cheat” and bid a penny higher. If you want to enter, send me a PM for the web address. Give me your name and the amount you’re going to donate, I’ll confirm once the donation has been received.

Whoever donates the highest amount gets a super duper undisclosed prize that in some way relates to PSA. Now I say undisclosed BUT said prize has been approved by the greatest, bestest mod ever, Carol.

Hi Carol

edited to add additional prizes

To sweeten the pot, I'm going to throw in some goodies and change things up a bit.

There's going to be a pool of prizes. Whoever has the highest donation, gets first choice. Next highest has next choice and so on and so forth. I'll continue adding items until that well runs dry.

1) Something super duper, which relates to PSA, behind curtain number 1

2) 1967 NL Pitching Leaders #236 PSA 8

3) Autographed NFL football by Marcus Coleman PSA/DNA

4) Lot of cards I received from UD as a "replacement"

a) Ivan Rodriguez SS auto
b) Carl Crawford UD Origins (?) auto
c) Some Jordan card

5) If there are more donations than prizes, I will send you a homemade loaf of my award winning* jalapeno cheese bread. YUM-O!! Doesn't matter if there's 5 or even 100... I slave my rear in the kitchen until everyone gets their loaf of scrumdilishiousness image

*I was the only contestant and judge, so I won image

More could be added later...

But I digest…

But seriously, please send me a PM and donate today. As a side note, I’m soliciting donations through other avenues so I honestly don’t know how long this contest will be open. Heck, maybe a sugar daddy comes in, donates $1K+, a poster here donates $25, and then wins. You never know!!1! So donate now!

Thanks!

B
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    The MS society will gladly accept $5, $10, or even $25 donations. Rather than waste $50 on a box that yields nothing more than clutter, donate that money to a GREAT cause and have the chance to win something really, really cool!!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barry, PM sent.
    Edited because I put it in the OP.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope you do well with this as my wife has MS. It is a bear to deal with at times.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

For Barry's sake, make a donation... I mean, look at that avatar. And it only cost me a $10 contribution.

• nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    PM sent... donation pending some thought??? I'm not sure how deep I'll be digging yet. image

This is really a great cause. I personally feel like MS will be defeated, thanks to the tireless efforts of people like Barry. And another board member that deserves a woo woo is (AJW) Drew. His run to the top of Rockefeller Center was phenomenal. Barry's time, effort and personal donations are off the hook.

I'm still wondering where my autoed football should be... in the center of my display, or over to one side or the other. image

Great work and many thanks stown.

..stown and AJW
  • pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ·p_A·
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your exhausting efforts are commendable. Great job Barry!! image

PM sent.
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    Great work, Barry! It's people like you who should be given the credit when the cure is found. Your tireless efforts are not overlooked!

PM sent.
  • PM sentimage
    Can you feel the love?!?!?

PS - Bake sale added

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just want to add for any newer members with some incredulity - I've known him for quite some time - and I honestly believe this is a legitimate call for help.

Mike
  • TTT for a worthy cause.image
    Thank you, guys, I really do appreciate it.

Some brought up a couple of points that I want to clarify, just in case.

As I mentioned in my auction thread, all money donated goes directly to the MS Society; I don't see a dime of it. When you PM me, I will supply a link (http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/XXXXXX) and it will take you directly to my fundraising page (yes, that really is me in spandex but you have to admit, I make cycling attire look damn good image ):

edited to add: these screen shots were from yesterday morning, so the total has increased since image

You click the "DONATE TO BARRY" link, on the top left, which will take you to the donation page:

Put in whatever amount you want ($10, $35, $250 image ) and then click next, which takes you to the payment page:

Insert your credit card information and then you're done.

On the other hand, if you don't like processing through the interwebs, that's okay as well. In your PM, tell me that you want to donate by check. Make it out to the "Multiple Sclerosis Society", I'll provide my mailing address, and gladly take care of the paperwork required.

Again, thank you so much for your generous contributions.

• mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    I can guarantee this is one hundred percent legitimate if anyone has any concerns. You will receive an email from the MS Society after you make your pledge. So, for the many of us on the boards who have relatives with MS please consider making a donation.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just want to add for any newer members with some incredulity - I've known him for quite some time - and I honestly believe this is a legitimate call for help.

image >>

wholeheartedly agree.

He's a good cat.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yep, Stown is legit.

PM sent.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can personally vouch for Barry and say without reservation that he is one of the most trustworthy members on these boards...I plan to make a donation myself soon, and wish you the best with the campaign, Barry! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    PM sent
    Matt

PMs sent.

Guys, again, thank you so much!!

1) I've included pictures of the Marcus Coleman football.

2) There are now more donations than prizes BUT going forward, you will not leave empty handed. If your donation is not in the top tier, you get a loaf of my award winning* jalapeno cheese bread. So even if you donate $5, you get a loaf that would retail for at least $25 because it's just that dam good.

Holy freaking crud.

Met with someone for lunch and they gave me a nice check. So as of now, including this check since it will take a couple of days to register on the site, I only need to raise an additional $764.

$653.12 to go!!

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Barry don't worry about me and a prize.

Good luck on the race.

Steve

Good for you.
    Wow, you're looking good stown.

Oh, I was talking about your 'Fight MS' drive by the way... not your picture. image

<< <i>Wow, you're looking good stown.

Oh, I was talking about your 'Fight MS' drive by the way... not your picture. image >>

Wow.

Currently at $3,100 with $400 to go!

I'm now only $330 away!

• << <i>I'm now only $330 away!

image >>

Not including a couple of checks:

Achieved:
    $3,510.00

I'll put together a list and announce the winner shortly.

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not including a couple of checks:

Achieved:
    $3,510.00

I'll put together a list and announce the winner shortly.

image >>

Hurry up

<< <i>Hurry up >>

I'll spare you the suspense.

LMM won a loaf of my award winning* jalapeno cheese bread.

• gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    Congrats Matt!

(and congrats to Barry for breaking the $3500 barrier!!)
    I will not disclose amount donated, only rankings. If you are on this list and want to be omitted, for whatever reason, please let me know and I'll take you off.

Winner: nightcrawler
    2nd: ping4u43

And we have a tie for 3rd and 4th: Downtown1974 and Littletweed. I suggest a battle to the death, winner take all. However, I'll let you guys decide.

The best of the rest and in no particular order: pandrews, soflphillyfan, winpitcher, lawnmowerman, TheThrill22, 8irvin8, and last but not least Stone193. You each will receive a loaf of my award winning* jalapeno cheese bread. If I missed someone, please let me know ASAP. I have 47 donors, so I may have mislabled someone and sorry in advance.

So, nightcrawler, decide what you want to choose.

Personally, I would go for what's behind door #1 but that's just me...

<< <i>

<< <i>Hurry up >>

image >>

Can't wait....I guess LOL
    Wow, congrats Barry. I was happy to participate.

So, I get a choice HMMMM???
    Great job Barry, Trent and all who participated!
    Well, I just can't resist... I'll take door #1 Barry

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Hurry up >>

image >>

Can't wait....I guess LOL >>

Your package will come with a little something extra...

tee-hee-hee

<< <i>Well, I just can't resist... I'll take door #1 Barry

image >>

And you won.............

Drum roll, please....................

rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat......................................

DING!

Your choice of either a 1-year PSA membership or the equivalent in gift certificates.

Good call!

Right on, that's excellent. image And I think my membership just expired recently.

The drumroll was killin me, thought it would never end. image

Awesome!

Waiting for Carol and I'll take care of the paper work.

Next up is ping, followed by the first ever death steel cage match between downtown and littletweed!

LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMBLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>The best of the rest and in no particular order: pandrews, soflphillyfan, winpitcher, lawnmowerman, TheThrill22, 8irvin8, and last but not least Stone193. You each will receive a loaf of my award winning* jalapeno cheese bread. If I missed someone, please let me know ASAP. I have 47 donors, so I may have mislabled someone and sorry in advance.
    >>

I would like to see the award for the bread first please. Hey, it could be an award for the worst jalapeno cheese bread ever made! image

Actually I cannot accept the prize. I travel so much, I'm never home and can't predict that I'll be in a given city any more than a few days.

I can imagine the call from my wife. "Why is a strange man sending you baked goods?"

"Uh, I uh. Surprise! I got you a subscription to the "Loaf of the Month" Club. In the coming days you will receive meat, olive and pimento, sugar, and pinched, among others. I'm especially interested to see that last one."

Glad to help and congrats on hitting your goal.
    Where's my loaf?? I need a new doorstop.
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>Where's my loaf?? I need a new doorstop. >>

Here's a pair. Just your color.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Stown!!! Im glad you hit $3500. Go ahead and give the 3rd place prize to liitleweed. Im not up for a steel cage match tonight. I forgot how to perform the camel clutch.
    LOL

Shoes Emmitt would wear.

I like 'em image

<< <i>Where's my loaf?? I need a new doorstop. >>

Settle down, Beavis. You will get your loaf when I'm gosh darn ready to make it!

But seriously, I'll probably start whipping them up next week. If not, then it will be after the ride.

<< <i>Im not up for a steel cage match tonight. >>

WUSSY!

<< <i>pinched >>

With all of the fruits and veggies I've consumed while training, I've pinched more than my fair share as of late.

• What did I win??image