Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Resubmission technique

Your thoughts/experiences welcome!

Would you (1) resubmit for review or (2) crack the slab and then resubmit?

Thanks

Comments

• daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    What cards are you considering, what kind of slab are they currently in (PSA, BGS, SGC, etc.), and what are the current grades?
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Probably crack it.
  • 1972 PBA Photos. All 3 cards I 'm considering are PSA-9's but 2 of them are flawless even under a microscope. They where received last Friday and grades popped last Monday. To fast for my liking and I suspect the grader wasn't in the "10" mood.
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    A problem I see with trying for 10s with this issue is that the cards have borderless black edges, similar to the 1971 Topps Baseball cards.

However, with almost 25% of the '72 PBA Photos PSA Pop Report being 10s, I'd say send them in for a review, rather than cracking and resubbing. Why take a chance of accidentally scratching/damaging the cards by cracking, especially if you feel that strongly that they are indeed 10s.

Do you know what to look for with your microscope? Not saying you don't, but there have been threads here before talking about using infra-red lighting instead of loupes etc to detect certain flaws.

Hope everything works out for you and you get your 10s!

PoppaJ

• << <i>1972 PBA Photos. All 3 cards I 'm considering are PSA-9's but 2 of them are flawless even under a microscope. They where received last Friday and grades popped last Monday. To fast for my liking and I suspect the grader wasn't in the "10" mood. >>

I sense trouble, not on PSA's part, but on your part. Did you pay for the fast service? Also, don't be greedy, 99 out of 100 times a "9" is really a 9 and not a 10.

• leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191

<< <i>

<< <i>1972 PBA Photos. All 3 cards I 'm considering are PSA-9's but 2 of them are flawless even under a microscope. They where received last Friday and grades popped last Monday. To fast for my liking and I suspect the grader wasn't in the "10" mood. >>

I sense trouble, not on PSA's part, but on your part. Did you pay for the fast service? Also, don't be greedy, 99 out of 100 times a "9" is really a 9 and not a 10. >>

Really 99 out of 100 image

you should apply to be a PSA grader!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Can you even send in a 9 under the review? I thought they said no 9.5's?

I suppose one could try and review for a 10.

FWIW I would never crack a 9 hoping for a 10. I'd get 8's.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • I've attached 3 scans of the cards (in PSA holders) in question. Pay no attention to the various white dots as they are from my scanner. Edges and corners are razors and the backs are just as flawless.

Further thoughts?
  • A further note, I've gotten 9's upgraded to 10's on the Welu, Gearhart, Schmidt and Lesson 2 cards. The Welu on review and the others by cracking and submitting raw. The scanned cards are 10's and I suspect I just need to wait for them to get it right. I submitted the Schmidt 4 times for the "10". You can view the set in the set registry.
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    IMO, there is no way to differentiate whether a card is a 9 or 10 from scans posted online. You can't see subtle surface flaws in scans. Also keep in mind that the backs are almost as important as the front.

Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I've never sent in for review, but have cracked and re-subbed with good results. But one thing about cracking, and I know others have experienced this, is that sometimes when you see the card outside the slab you can suddenly see why it got the grade it did. I recently cracked a 5 out thinking it should have been a 6, then I saw the bend in it. It's in the group sub now, and I'm just hoping it doesn't come back a 4.