Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

i give up Seriously ;(

I give up Fellas, really i do , Makes no Sense to me at all ( Lint etc is from scanner ) Here we go again, the High Dollar cards are Once again Scrutnized as if they are all HACK jobs, Good job PSA

N5: ALTERED STOCK 1986 FLEER STICKER 8 MICHAEL JORDAN

Comments

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Put the white Sharpie down.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    that's a good one... how do you alter the stock of a sticker card?
  • Options
    I have to be honest, not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but does the left side look a little wavy also?
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    how do you alter the stock of a sticker card?
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>I have to be honest, not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but does the left side look a little wavy also? >>

It does look that way. It might however be the inner sleeve/case giving the illusion? Those things are not always square.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    im really very sorry this happened to you.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    works well for psa...they keep your money....others might send it right back again. that way they double their money.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    It would be nice, but would probably help those that do alter cards, if PSA would say why and what part of the card they think is altered.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    was this from the group break as well?
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Can you get the Lakers to give up? I'd like to see Lebron win the title this year. Thanks in advance.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    If its for resale or even future resale, I can understand going with PSA. If a card like that is going to stay in my collection permanently, I'd get it in a slab from across the street because I dont think you would run into this "game" there.
  • Options
    LakersFANLakersFAN Posts: 288 ✭✭
    Oak no this was not from the Group break

lol @ Mr Burgundy there, well tell ya what my freind, i am a Lakers fan , and will be the first to admit we are Softer than Charmin, so dont worry, imo we wont win the NBA finals till Mitch Cupcake the GM starts to get Tough Inside players and Not softys like Pau Gasol and Andrew bynum , those 2 i mentioned are good players, But lack toughness, so u might Just get your wish this year, Cavs are Playing Great
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Well, I certainly hope you're right but I think the Lake Show has everybody covered this year. Also think they'll have home court in the end. We'll see................
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>I have to be honest, not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me, but does the left side look a little wavy also? >>

Won't that be EOT? Not sure how altered stock would have anything to do with a wavy left edge.

LakersFAN - I have Joe O's contact info if you'd like to call or e-mail - don't even bother wasting you time with CS they are preprogrmaed response computer-people.
  • Options
    Stingray, i agree they should atleast include a reason ala BGS when a card is found to be altered , trimmed etc BGS atleast circles the area in Question, which would atleast give Us some kind of idea what the Grader saw

and hey Yankee i agree with you as far as Resale goes on some Cards PSA versus BGS , For instance a PSA 9 on this 86 Jordan stickers sells for 180-225 where as BGS 9's sell for 450-650
  • Options
    just curious.. what about the top right corner.. is that maybe a piece missing and collored to match??
    or is it a tiny hair fiber???
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    If you acquired the card secondhand, did you look at it under a black light? Sometimes alterations/touch ups will show under black light.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Won't that be EOT? Not sure how altered stock would have anything to do with a wavy left edge. >>

Trimming, together with another type of "doctoring" a card, could fall into "ALTERED STOCK". Here is the definition from the PSA site:

# N-5 Altered Stock - This term is used when the paper stock is altered in one or more of the following ways: Stretching and trimming, recoloring and restoring, trimming and recoloring, restoring an trimming, crease or wrinkle is pressed out, or gloss is enhanced.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just curious.. what about the top right corner.. is that maybe a piece missing and collored to match??
    or is it a tiny hair fiber??? >>

yeah, I was wondering if that pube might be considered altered stock.
  • Options

<< <i>

Won't that be EOT? Not sure how altered stock would have anything to do with a wavy left edge.

LakersFAN - I have Joe O's contact info if you'd like to call or e-mail - don't even bother wasting you time with CS they are preprogrmaed response computer-people. >>

Leath thanks O'bunch i appreciate it man, Pm me the info
  • Options
    Oak and Vette, No that was lint lol No pube sorry vette.....
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Won't that be EOT? Not sure how altered stock would have anything to do with a wavy left edge. >>

Trimming, together with another type of "doctoring" a card, could fall into "ALTERED STOCK". Here is the definition from the PSA site:

# N-5 Altered Stock - This term is used when the paper stock is altered in one or more of the following ways: Stretching and trimming, recoloring and restoring, trimming and recoloring, restoring an trimming, crease or wrinkle is pressed out, or gloss is enhanced. >>

I really want to know how to stretch a card image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    They use a roller to stretch cards.

Lakers I have no idea regarding the 'altered' part of this thread.

I wouldn't give up though.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>If you acquired the card secondhand, did you look at it under a black light? Sometimes alterations/touch ups will show under black light. >>

No i did not look at it under a black light, ive had the card For a while, it was a SGC 96 mint, i did look it over while in the case , and moreso after it was cracked out, card was very sharp and could have been a PSA 9 or even a GEM 10 imo, so i thought i would press my luck and possibly have an outside chance at a 10
  • Options
    talk to joe
    you need to at least be told what the issue is for the $$$ you spent
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    In one of my many lots of Sandbergs I have bought over the years someone recolored the top of a McDonalds card. Why color something you can buy for $1
  • Options
    mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
    This has gotten out of hands...That longoria I sent that got a 5, I rec ieved it back today, and can not find one speck on it.
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>In one of my many lots of Sandbergs I have bought over the years someone recolored the top of a McDonalds card. Why color something you can buy for $1 >>

practice
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Is it possible that PSA now considers using pantyhose to remove wax stains as "altered stock"?

Just a guess, can't think of any other way that card gets that result.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    You cracked it out of an SGC 96? Thats what I meant from across the street...definately not BGS.
  • Options
    ah gotcha yank, yea it was an SGC 96 mint , ive been thinking about switching to SGC, my Subscription Renewal is coming up within the next few weeks, not sure what i am going to do
  • Options
    Just complain to Joe O and he will change it to a PSA 9. I believe that has happened in the past.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Good luck...something is fishy with all these cards coming back like this...
  • Options

<< <i>This has gotten out of hands...That longoria I sent that got a 5, I rec ieved it back today, and can not find one speck on it. >>

Still waiting to see a scan of this flawless PSA 5.