Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you a numismatic dandy?

“The Numismatic dandy”: The Numismatic dandy is a highly polished individual, who seeks not only the best coins, but only those coins offered by the best dealers. The dandy believes that a dealer provenance is just as important as a collector provenance related to a coin. The dandy looks with scorn upon coins purchased from dealers or websites that the commoners frequent, such as Ebay or Teletrade. The Numismatic dandy only collects coins of the classic series, and would not be caught dead even looking at a modern coin at a show. He dresses impeccably at coin shows, and does not care that both dealers and other collectors know that he only purchases the best, and does not want to be bothered with other collectors of lesser status. While The dandy is relatively confident in his abilities, he secures the advice of the best advisors related to his collecting, and believes that the numismatic world revolves around him. Here is a picture of the typical Numismatic dandy:*

*Plagiarism at its best. image

Comments

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "Are you a numismatic dandy?"

No.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO WAY!

I'm much more of a numismatic Fred Sanford
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More like a raggedy andy than a numismatic dandy.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>“The Numismatic dandy”: The Numismatic dandy is a highly polished individual, who seeks not only the best coins, but only those coins offered by the best dealers. The dandy believes that a dealer provenance is just as important as a collector provenance related to a coin. The dandy looks with scorn upon coins purchased from dealers or websites that the commoners frequent, such as Ebay or Teletrade. The Numismatic dandy only collects coins of the classic series, and would not be caught dead even looking at a modern coin at a show. He dresses impeccably at coin shows, and does not care that both dealers and other collectors know that he only purchases the best, and does not want to be bothered with other collectors of lesser status. While The dandy is relatively confident in his abilities, he secures the advice of the best advisors related to his collecting, and believes that the numismatic world revolves around him. Here is a picture of the typical Numismatic dandy:*

*Plagiarism at its best. image >>

If this is what a numismatic dandy is, then no freaken way!!! But I,ve seen them aroundimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    It's too early in the morning to look at that ugly mug. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavens, NO!!! A numismatic dandy, as you describe him, sounds like a real snob.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I'll give you a dandy...you whippersnapper!!! image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>It's too early in the morning to look at that ugly mug. image >>

You got that right! I think he is a yankee doodle dandy.image
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sing it with me!

I'm a Numismatic Dandy! A Numismatic Dandy yes am I...

JH
  • Options

<< <i>Sing it with me!

I'm a Numismatic Dandy! A Numismatic Dandy yes am I...

Numismatic doodle flew to town on his flying eagle now he's a yankee doodle boy.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

• Options
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dandy/Groupie, not a chance.

Ken
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew longacre was a player. Nice smoking jacket!image
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I'm a numismatic dandy trapped in the world of "Larry the Cable Guy." Course Larry has money, and I don't.
    If anyone here knew me (or even looked at my collection) they would automatically know that I am not.

I can think of a few on here that are very close to a "numismatic dandy" I won't name any names.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Nope, I look at every dealer big and small I can to find the rarities. image
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    The dandy exists in any collecting field, antiques, art, guns, baseball cards, or coins. As an antique dealer, I have always found it amusing that the dandy won't buy from me for $X, but will buy the same piece from one of the big players, who probably bought from me, for $3X.
  • Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    I highly resent your line of inquiry!

Same here TOOTS!!

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    thread revival

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    You forgot one thing. He once had an awkward moment just to see what it feels like.
  • Options

<< <i>It's too early in the morning to look at that ugly mug. image >>

Except for the morning part.
    LOL
    Positive:

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Wikipedia:

A dandy[1] (also known as a beau, or gallant[2]) is a man who places particular importance upon physical appearance, refined language, and leisurely hobbies, pursued with the appearance of nonchalance in a cult of Self.[3] Historically, especially in late 18th- and early 19th-century Britain, a dandy, who was self-made, often strove to imitate an aristocratic style of life despite coming from a middle-class background.

• Options
    Not even close.image
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    He's holding the champagne flute wrong... not a true "dandy."
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are those middle class hands? image
  • Options
    If TV dandy Niles Crane was a numismatist, he'd turn his nose up at the hoi polloi odor of American coins.

Fav Niles quote: "My brother (Frasier) is too kind - he was already eminent while my eminence was merely imminent."
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Are those middle class hands? image >>

Those are the hands that have been worked to the bone by The Man. This proves what a slave driver The Man really is!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm more like this guy - I collect coins with PEDIGREES. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm more like this guy - I collect coins with PEDIGREES. image

image >>

Hey! Watsat suppposed to mean?

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Hey! Watsat suppposed to mean? image

That's the last time I try to edumacate you guys. image Edited to add: Isn't provenance is a region in France? image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey! Watsat suppposed to mean? image

That's the last time I try to edumacate you guys. image Edited to add: Isn't provenance is a region in France? image >>

Provenance ex. Walmart

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file