Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Mercury Dime 1939S "The Battle is On"

2 Bids on that Baby and we are Both Registry Members that NEED that Dime.
    It is the first one that fits the Pocket Book of mine to come up in a couple of months.
      Will have "NO MERCY" within reason.image
        Take Care: Ken

Comments

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
          What grade is the 1939-S, I don't do the ebay thingimage I hope all the luck to the registry members that do howeverimage.
          Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
          Pat: Its your run of the mill MS66 that is Real Close to a FB coin.
            Thanks for Pointing out that it is on Ebay I forgot to say that.image
              I am not going to say anything about some other Neat Mercs that came up also.image
              1. I am watching this one unfold...LOL............
                I think I know who will win it....image
                Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
              2. I put the 21d on my watch list, i might try for that one...depends a few factors....lol
                Dennis

My Dimes

3. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
                Another POSSIBLE BATTLE !!!!!!!imageimage
                  To many Good things came up all at Once.image
                    No food for the Family for a couple of months.image
                    1. Gents.....let me know at what level the 39-S goes for on ebay......and those that still need the date......PM me. I buy and collect beautifully toned coins, but happen to have this date in my toned "B" box with breathtaking candy apple red rim toning in PCGS MS-66 holder. I may be able to help one of you out. Dale
                      Specializing in coins with "thin film interference" & "sulfur impregnated surfaces" due to hanging out with "old bags" and "wrappers"
                    2. DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
                      As the other current competitor, I can only say... watch out for the snipe. And if I lose, I am certainly interested in the coin just mentioned! This should be fun!
                      Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
                    3. CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
                      Hmmm....looks nicer than my measly MS65, and the CU price is only $58. Should be veerry interesting. image
                      Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
                    4. I'll sit this one out and let you two battle it out. I'll pass on "your run of the mill MS66"! LOL image
                      Ken, I did bid you up on the '30S, but only by the minimum (and the reserve wasn't met). That's a nice lookin' coin. If you are successful on winning the bid, I have an ugly blast white one I'll trade you! image

Regards,

Don

Adolph's Little Lady and
                      FULL Heads RULE!
                    5. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
                      Well Now. Go to bed and get a little sleep and wake up to find that 3 Registry Guys have Bid on the 30S.Jeez give a guy a Break Pleeeeeease !!!image I know You Guys DO NOT need that Dime but I DO.image
                        From the look of this Early Interest on these Dimes My Family will be skin and bones from the lack of food.image
                        1. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
                          Hey Guys maybe this is a Stupid Question. When a Dime comes up on Ebay do you go to the Blue Sheet or Gray Sheet and set a Price that you Will Not exceed ?
                            I do this and sometimes I end up out of the Running for a Dime before the Auction actually gets into full swing. What do you think is this a Stupid Bidding Stratagy ?
                              Some Exceptions have occured but not many.
                              1. DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
                                Ken, The 30-S is all yours from my perspective. As to your question, I generally do the same thing you do. But I try and check the greysheet, bluesheet and yes even the PCGS number. I have a percentage of the PCGS number that I use.

There is no accounting for a bidding war. I saw a No Bands 67 go for $111 a couple of weeks ago and that was well over the PCGS number, let alone blue or greysheet. (I had bid 90 and figured I was a lock and seriously overspending). Also, the winner bid more than $111, but that was all it took to be the high bidder on the item so I have no idea how high he was prepared to go.

I have most of the common coins, so it will be interesting to see how the slightly more expensive coins are treated on eBay. I will be watching the 30-S with interest to see where the hammer falls. Good luck!
                              2. Hey Ken,

I use the blue and grey sheets all the time to set a price. However, if I really want the coin, I won't bid my top price until close to the end of the auction (preferably a snipe). I don't like to bid the price up right from the get-go. Of course, sometimes there's other snipers that show up. Just set your price, and if someone outbids you, just think that they over-paid. image

I'm out of the bidding on the '30S and '39S. Good luck in fillin' them holes. That '30s is a tough coin to find, and it looks like a real nice one. Like I said previously, if you're successful in winning the bid on that one, I have a REAL nice BLAST white coin I'll trade ya! image

Regards,

Don

Toned Beauties and
                                FULL Heads RULE!
                                What I'm looking at is the Buy It Now price on the 30S. It just Kills me to pay Gray Sheet without being able to see the coin in person. These people have many Auctions close with No Winning Bids. Have Emailed them in the past with offers but do not get a response.
                                  Cheap,Conserative,Wary,Dumb ? Something must apply here.image
                                  1. Hey Ken,
                                    Don nailed it, same thing I do, and say if I dont get one.image
                                    Dennis

My Dimes

2. Link to coin so that everyone can watch as the excitement unfolds.

Cameron Kiefer
                                  3. Memo to Fairlaneman

When you really want something on EBAY, don't even tell your wife!!
                                    Collect PCGS and NGC certified U.S. Type, early Commems and gold dollars
                                  4. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
                                    Geez Chip: Do you think these Guys would try to Out Bid Me?? Really they are a Very Nice Bunch of Guys and I am sure they would not try to do any Bidding against Me.image
                                      Actually you are right. When I REALLY...REALLY want a Coin I never Bid untill the Last Minute of the Auction.
                                      1. Gotta like these Merc guys. They know how to have fun.

Chippewa,

All this attention to the 39-S must mean that there is another piece ending within a few minutes that he is trying to sneak away with by diverting attention. image

Keith
                                        Keith ™

2. Camron,
                                        Why did you show me that dime now I have to bid.
                                        Ken it all cameron's fault.

Rayimage
                                        Chippewa was Right. There is a Dime that I was trying to Distract you from but I have decided to let the Dog out of the Bag
                                          I hve been outbid, but that is OK as it was only a bid to put in on my bidding list. I am saving my final best bid for that last second snipe attempt. (I do have a back up strategy which I will reveal after the auction is over).
                                        2. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
                                          Deep Coin: Do we have the Same Back Up Plan also. Wouldn't have to do with a Toned Coin mentioned on this Thread would it.
                                            If I could just get Dale to sell me the Coin the one on Ebay would be all Yours.
                                              Ken, I will let the cat out of the bag. I must not have seen the right date, but I do believe there is a 1939-S on Teletrade. For some reason I thought that the Teletrade auction was after the eBay closing date, but it is before. Check it out.
                                            2. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
                                              "Bowing Out". DeepCoin better Win this 39S.imageimage
                                            3. DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
                                              Ken,

I am loading up my manually operated snipe gun and will be ready tomorrow when this auction is at the end, unless someone goes completely berserk (Oh, that would be me..LOL)
                                            4. DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
                                              While not a record snipe, I was the winner of this auction. I believe the winning bid was reasonable given the price for the same coin on Teletrade. The winning bid was $66 and I think someone said the same coin went for $80 +/- on Teletrade but I am not certain of that figure.
                                            5. tggrtggr Posts: 748
                                              Not a record snipe but good enough to win.
                                              Way to go Congrats.

Rayimage
                                            6. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
                                              DeepCoin (Rick): With a Snipe like that I would Have Hammered You.image Iwas at work when it ended so you would have Won anyway. Good Job. Let Us know if the Dime is as nice as it looked. Take Care: Ken
                                            7. Good Job Rickimage
                                              Dennis

My Dimes

8. Congrats Rick.

Good stategy in leavin' yourself time for a second shot! image

Regards,

Don

Winged Liberty and
                                              FULL Heads RULE!
                                            9. CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
                                              Rick (DeepCoin),

I think you got it at a good price. I was going to bid on it at work, but got wrapped up in something and missed it image

The final price on the Teletrade coin was $85 + fees, so you did real well. Congrats.

Jim
                                              Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!