Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

From Wei Chang (WTCG), Large Pics of an Amazing 1881 Proof Set

blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
A couple weeks back I had a nice visit with Wei Chang (WTCG on the forum here). He gave me a chance to shoot an 1881 proof set that is just amazing. I could explain more but just look at the set. The half and gold dollar are stand-outs. The half is a 66 cameo and the dollar is 64 ultra cam.

Just saying thanks to Wei for letting me play and sharing some nice coins. Larger verision here if you wish about 5mb filesize: link (be sure to scroll around)

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... fantastic set and photos. Should become a poster.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like everything was slabbed just recently in the new NGC holders. Is someone hoping that consecutive numbers will make it look like an original set?
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like everything was slabbed just recently in the new NGC holders. Is someone hoping that consecutive numbers will make it look like an original set? >>

Not at all, this set looks great in the new holders.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Spectacular coins, and that Morgan just glows in those fields.

• Options
    Cool set! image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    yikes! that is amazing. That alone would make a fine collection.
    Quality over quantity indeed!
  • Options
    Wow, amazing stuff!
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like everything was slabbed just recently in the new NGC holders. Is someone hoping that consecutive numbers will make it look like an original set? >>

What's your point?
  • Options
    intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    amazing
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Most excellent!image
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that's coin collecting....way to go.
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    I need that image

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    That set would be mine if only my income would cooperate

• Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Wow. How lucky you are.
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for letting me participate in this cool giveaway! image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful and Fantastic pieces! Lovely images, too, very crisp.

...but I'm still amazed that nobody in the NGC Brain Trust spoke up with---"you know, these new slabs we're thinking about going with...well, the prongs actually hide parts of the obverse and reverse from view......perhaps we should reconsider this design?" I mean come on!

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    Wow, awesome set and photos.image
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424

<< <i>...but I'm still amazed that nobody in the NGC Brain Trust spoke up with---"you know, these new slabs we're thinking about going with...well, the prongs actually hide parts of the obverse and reverse from view......perhaps we should reconsider this design?" I mean come on! >>

If all the slabs were like this they wouldn't be bad, i barely noticed the prongs as they don't go past the edge of the rims onto the fields. They actually did not bother me at all.

Now, most of the time i agree with your statement, but perhaps the quality control has increases recently?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Wow! A screamer!image
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    OUTSTANDING!
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What an incredible set of proof coins, the frosted cameo devices pop right out at you.

Excellent pictures.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a treat!

Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful set and lovely photographs...but those horrible NGC holders are FUGLY!
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Todd:

Insanely nice coins and photos! image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Stunning!

... both the coins and the photos. Thank you for sharing!

Mike
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

Great thinking. When the mint put these sets on their website in 1881, they sold out almost immediately. Very few were graded at pcgs before the turn of the century and it was hard to find a set with consecutive serial numbers at the time. During the great depression, more of the mint sets got taken out of their original blue boxes and plastic holders making original sets even harder to find.....

But seriously, there were no sets back then.

--Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Wonderful and Fantastic pieces! Lovely images, too, very crisp.

...but I'm still amazed that nobody in the NGC Brain Trust spoke up with---"you know, these new slabs we're thinking about going with...well, the prongs actually hide parts of the obverse and reverse from view......perhaps we should reconsider this design?" I mean come on! >>

I didn't even notice them at first until I read this. Now they stand out like crazy image

<< <i>If all the slabs were like this they wouldn't be bad, i barely noticed the prongs as they don't go past the edge of the rims onto the fields. They actually did not bother me at all.
    >>

I completely agree.

Beautiful set BTW. I didn't know coins with that kind of age could still be that eye appealing with such great condition.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    BEAUTIFUL! WTCG is a great person, does anyone know what the price is for a set like this???
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BEAUTIFUL! WTCG is a great person, does anyone know what the price is for a set like this??? >>

I was wondering as well. Would these coins command a higher price as a set or sold as individual pieces?

Wonderfully stunning set.

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice set and photos, thanks for sharing! Wei is a great guy to deal with....

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Exquisite set and photography.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    From the responses I have read so far it appears that most people who have responded approve of the coins and the photography performance by Todd (blu62vette). Personally I think Todd did an excellent job on the photography and the detailed features on the coins themselves are represented accurately and distinctly.

As another response stated, the mint did not sell complete proof sets in the 19th century so all coins with matching dates from that period had to have been procured separately. This 1881 proof set was a set that I assembled over the course of the last two years or so when funding was sufficient and only when the "right" coin became available. Not only do the stated grades mostly match one another, but building a set with coins that matched the look of the rest of the group was also of utmost importance. A few of the coins were purchased as is from other dealers and a few were found in raw and uncertified state. Only one coin came by way of auction. All nine coins are graded by NGC.

Although no coin is completely off limits for sale, this set (along with others of different dates) come out of my personal holdings and is not part of my sale inventory.

As you can probably tell, this proof set is still a work in progress. There are five gold coins that are still absent and considering the going prices and availability of the 1881 proof coins outstanding, they will take some time to find and aquire. As for now, my thanks to Todd Pollock for the opportunity to share a few lovely coins with the public and thanks to all for taking a look.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Wow. I think you did great to put together such a nicely matched set in only 2 yrs.

If I may ask, why 1881? I'm putting together a much more pedestrian MS/circulated date set for 1880 and 1931, the birth years of my dad and grandfather. Of course I'll have to skip the gold for 1931.

Awesome coins, thanks for sharing. Great eye to come up with such a nicely matched set.

--Jerry

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering as well. Would these coins command a higher price as a set or sold as individual pieces?

Wonderfully stunning set.

I gotta think that the whole is worth more than the sum of its parts in this case.....but it sure would be an interesting thing to test out if somebody had two exact duplicate sets to sell.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truly stunning!
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Great photos of super coins!
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Pretty amazing!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I can't figure out why these coins weren't bodybagged. They all have multiple jewelry solder blobs along the edges...

Seriously though, love the coins! That morgan has great cameo contrast. I like the quarter as well.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful selection! Gorgeous set.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    What a beautiful set. Me likey. A lot.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    nice set

I am jealous and hope to own a nice 1800's set myself someday - but all beautifully toned
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins and pics.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    JSssonJSsson Posts: 891

Very nice set and looks like Todd did a great job on the pics. The pieces look incredibly sexy.

I recall having seen the trade dollar before and that is one neat trade dollar. I imagine the other pieces look just as nice. I also remember that WTCG has another proof set dated 1880 or so I think, did you get a chance to photograph that set too?

By the way, WTCG aka Wei, is one of my favorite dealers and great to work with.

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

The coins were recently reholdered in the new scratch-resistant NGC holders. Though not perfect, they don't scratch or damage as much as the older holders.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>image

Very nice set and looks like Todd did a great job on the pics. The pieces look incredibly sexy.

I recall having seen the trade dollar before and that is one neat trade dollar. I imagine the other pieces look just as nice. I also remember that WTCG has another proof set dated 1880 or so I think, did you get a chance to photograph that set too?

By the way, WTCG aka Wei, is one of my favorite dealers and great to work with. >>

Yep he was nice enough to let me shoot the 1880 also. I am editing that one in a different way but will post it here soon. It has one of the most amazing morgans!!!
  • Options
    JSssonJSsson Posts: 891

<< <i>

<< <i>image

By the way, WTCG aka Wei, is one of my favorite dealers and great to work with. >>

Yep he was nice enough to let me shoot the 1880 also. I am editing that one in a different way but will post it here soon. It has one of the most amazing morgans!!! >>

Can't wait to see em image
  • Options
    So, would those lines in the field be caused by someone buffing up those coins a hundred years ago with their shirt much like one might their sunglasses? Seriously.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file