Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

05/01/17 - Doug's Autographed Cards. Another '52 Topps Autographed Card!

DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
Hey Guys and Girls,

It has been more than TWENTY YEARS since I tried to obtain TTM Autos. Last week I became a member of Startiger.com and started my pursuit of getting the entire 1982 Donruss set autographed. I had a stack of 1952s next to my PC, so I thought it would be fun to get some autos of the old timers as well.

One of the cards I sent was to Lou Sleater. I mailed my request from Long Island to Maryland on March 16 and TODAY, FIVE days later, I had the card back signed. I also asked Mr. Sleater a few questions and he took the time to respond. The results are below:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Sweet! He signed the letter too. You now have his auto twice.
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    That's really cool Doug. And ya, you got two autos out of the deal, time to give Heritage or knuckles a call. image
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>That's really cool Doug. And ya, you got two autos out of the deal, time to give Heritage or knuckles a call. image >>

I thought it was nice of him to write a little something. Considering THE MICK was my idol growing up, it was kewl that he mentioned him. I've been speaking with Doran and was waiting to get some autos that I think would make nice cards before sending the autos to him.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Randy...Calling Mr. Randy....There are some 52's out there!!

Randy might have interest in this one!!
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!

<< <i>Randy...Calling Mr. Randy....There are some 52's out there!!

Randy might have interest in this one!! >>

I'm guessing that he has this one already, considering how quickly Mr. Sleater responded.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Doug, Congrats on the TTM and the return letter is something to get framed!!!

brian
    Thanks Brian ... I'll try to post the others as they come in. (HOPEFULLY)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Well ... here is what the mailman delivered today. Man, this TTM stuff is going to be so addicting! I'm luvin it!

Ellis and Kaat were sent out on March 14, 2009.
    Kuzava, Usher and Diering were sent out on March 16, 2009.

John Ellis did not send back the card. Instead I received this letter:

Jim Kaat signed both cards and enclosed the contribution envelope. I did not know his wife passed away from Cancer.

Bob Usher added a nice personalization

Chuck Diering not only signed his '52 card and the index card I enclosed, but he also enclosed a picture that he must have printed off his computer and signed it as well

Bob Kuzava, who played with the Yankees, also answered my questions: Who was the greatest player he played with and against.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Wow those are some really cool scans. Good luck with the project!!
    Collecting Interests:
    Ripken, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Old Orioles, Sweet Spot Autos, older Redskins - Riggins, Sonny, Baugh etc and anything that catches my eye. image

My ghetto sportscard webpage...All Scans - No Lists!!! Stinky Linky
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff Doug

I find it interesting that Lou Sleater said of Mantle "He could have been one of the best".

That said, I wonder if Mantle was considered an "overrated" player by his peers?

<< <i>Good stuff Doug

I find it interesting that Lou Sleater said of Mantle "He could have been one of the best".

That said, I wonder if Mantle was considered an "overrated" player by his peers? >>

Matt ... he did not say "one of the best". He said THE BEST
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Good stuff Doug

That said, I wonder if Mantle was considered an "overrated" player by his peers? >>

Matt ... he did not say "one of the best". He said THE BEST >>

Actually he did toward the end of his letter.

After thinking about it, the statement "He could have been one of the best" could kinda go a few different ways depending on the context in which it was used.
    Matt ... you are right! In the beginning of the letter he said THE BEST and at the end he said ONE OF THE BEST. Reading the entire letter, it seems to me that he had a lot of respect for THE MICK. I found it very interesting having someone write me a letter and talking about playing with Mantle.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• These are some stand-up guys!
    Always looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks in a uniform PSA 3 (NQ)

psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=223023&ac=1
    Did you guys notice how neat the autos were? The guys that signed the 50s cards are in their mid 80s!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    TOTALLY excellent stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
    THANKS GUYS! It really is fun ... but time consuming, because I hand write a personal letter to each player. Nothing too long ... I usually ask them a few questions and it's great when they answer! I am going to try to send out at least 5 requests per day. I'll keep this thread going with my daily results.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

THESE OLD TIMERS ARE THE FRIGGIN BEST! HERE IS WHAT I RECEIVED TODAY:

Fisrt up is Roy Hartsfield. He signed the card and both index cards I provided. In addition he answered my questions about the best player he played with and against. I mailed the card on 03/16/09.

Next up is Duane Pillette. I mailed the card to him on 03/18/09. He signed the card, index card and wrote back a letter answering my questions.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Roy Hartsfield looks like Bruce Willis.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • intenceintence Posts: 1,255
    HAHAHA u r right Mush ... he does!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Nick ... PM sent. Doug
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty neat, I love how they write back to you. Thanks for sharing.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Doug - these are super cool.

Thanks for sharing.

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • stormsurgestormsurge Posts: 859 ✭✭
    What a great thread - thanks so much for sharing!
    As long as people enjoy looking at the TTMs I receive, I will keep this thread going each day!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Awesome TTM's and letters Doug!!!!! The letter from Jim Kaat and John Ellis are very special letters! I think you are going to have to display the letters too. Keep em coming!

brian
  • I love the old timers and their letters back TTM. I think that they secretly love the attention and that someone remembered them.

Keep 'em coming.....
    WELL, ONLY RECEIVED ONE TODAY. AGAIN, IT WAS FROM ONE OF THE OLD TIMERS. I sent the request on March 18, 2009 and received it back 7 days later. Here is what Mr. Mele signed for me:
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Just mailed out 12 more requests. 8 to guys from the '82 Donruss Set (I am attempting to put together the entire set AUTOGRAPHED) and 4 to a few old timers from the 1955 Topps AA Football set.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Have a group of '66 Topps Yankees going out tomorrow. With the white uniforms and large pics on most of them I think the autos will look real awesome when they come back.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Today's surprise from the mailman came from San Diego. I mailed a card from Long Island to Mr. Noren on March 18, 2009 and received it back signed today, 8 days later. Enjoy!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

I'm hoping that tomorrow the mailman delivers a few more!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

So the mailman deposited three of my requests in my mailbox today. The results were as follows:

First up is from Mr. Cliff Chambers. Sent him a '52 Topps and an Index Card on 03/18/09

Next up is from Mr. Allen Ripley. Sent him an '82 Donruss and a couple of index cards on 03/14/09. This is the first TTM I received back to help with my quest to get the entire set autographed!

Final one for today came from the 03/17/09 requests I sent out to our 5 living Presidents. Thank you President Carter ... for NOTHING!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Interesting, I sent Jimmy Carter two index cards as well and I got back a signed (I believe preprint) 8x10.

I can scan it tonight if anybody is interested in seeing it.
    Hoping to get some more letters from the older players. They are so interesting to read. Maybe tomorrow will bring some nice TTMs.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    Where do you get all these guys' addresses?

cool thread - thx for sharing.

<< <i>Where do you get all these guys' addresses?
    cool thread - thx for sharing. >>

I used to be a Player's Agent and know most of these guys personally OR I am only kidding and I went to STARTIGER.COM and joined for $35.00 for the year. They have about 250,000 addresses for all types of famous people. Check it out!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

On March 16, 2009 I sent this card and two ICs to Mr. McDougald. Here is what I received from the mailman today.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Well ... for the week I got back signed cards from ELEVEN different players. Not a bad start. Looking forward to see what the mailman delivers on Monday!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Very image Doug!

Thank you for sharing and good luck!

Awesome to see some of the old timers reply with their thoughts

Why did you pick the 82 Donruss set again?
    Went to the mailbox today ... there was a LOT of mail, so I was excited about the number of autos that might be hiding among all the other stuff. Guess what? NOTHING TODAY! Felt like a little kid on Christmas day who didn't get that special gift he was looking for! LOL I'll update you tomorrow with all the goodies I HOPEFULLY get.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Why did you pick the 82 Donruss set again? >>

Bill ... I was going thru my stuff and stumbled upon 20 or so 1982 DR autographed cards that I bought a couple of years ago. I figured that's a start, so let's try to get the rest of them! See how crazy we collectors are? I had only TWENTY friggin cards from a 660 card set ... and now I'm searching for the other 640!!!!!! LOL

I have about 225 so far ... still a LONG way to go ... but it's fun ... I sent out my first TTM efforts and am awaiting those returns. Yesterday I bought a 1982 DR set off eBay which I will use for my TTM requests.

Did you get that small package I sent you?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• << <i>

<< <i>Why did you pick the 82 Donruss set again? >>

Bill ... I was going thru my stuff and stumbled upon 20 or so 1982 DR autographed cards that I bought a couple of years ago. I figured that's a start, so let's try to get the rest of them! See how crazy we collectors are? I had only TWENTY friggin cards from a 660 card set ... and now I'm searching for the other 640!!!!!! LOL

I have about 225 so far ... still a LONG way to go ... but it's fun ... I sent out my first TTM efforts and am awaiting those returns. Yesterday I bought a 1982 DR set off eBay which I will use for my TTM requests.

>>

I know the feeling, I had 5 1981 Fleer autos with an unopened box sitting in the closet so that obviously meant that I needed to get the entire set autographed.
    I commend you for 225, I am at 71 right now and 225 seems a very long way away.
    Sent an '82 Donruss card to Mr. Kern on March 19 and received it back today
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Received back two autos today. The first up is from Old Time NY YANKEE JIM BOUTON. I mailed the request to him 03/26/09.

Next up is from former President Bill Clinton. I sent the request on 03/17/09 asking him to sign two Index Cards but received this. My guess is that he signed a stack of pictures and a secretary added my name to the top. I will have to ask Mike Navarro as to the authenticity of President Clinton's autograph.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

OH WELL ... Spoke to Mike and it's been decided that FRIGGGIN SLICK WILLY gave me the 'Ole auto pen! (I guess that's better than what he gave to Monica.)
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Doug, Sorry to hear that Bill must have given you the ole auto pen. Other than that, I'm really enjoying seeing your TTM success!

Keep em coming.

brian
    On March 26, 2009 I mailed 2 cards and a personalized letter to Mr. Al Downing in California. Today, only seven days later, this is what the mailman brought me:
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Damn I got excited when I saw the Clinton auto. I dont think its the first time Bill gave someone the ole auto pen.....