Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA/DNA Poppage Clemente Pie Traynor - Updated with photo of Fat Boys signing, Updated again 3/20/11

I will start with the bad. Maybe some still remember the Fat Boys. I was stationed in Heidelberg, Germany in the late 1980's The Fat Boys came to our PX to sign autographs. I watched them sign this photo. I know the Fat Boys autographs are not common and PSA probably does not have many examples to compare it to but don't take $75 for grading the item and say Questionable Authenticity. There was no letter or anything even stating what they thought was questionable. I paid $75 for nothing.

Now for some good. I paid $5 each this past summer for 3 Darrell Green and Art Monks autos. I paid $75 each to have them graded. Here is one of them.

Now for the very good. I bought this thinking it was already certified but it came with a PSA auction letter or something like that and PSA explained to me that it was not authenticated so I was a little worried for a few days buy it came back authenticated. The autos include Roberto Clemente, Pie Traynor, Harry Walker, Like Walker, Gene Alley, Al McBean, Jesse Gonder and Jim Shellenback.

Comments

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Clemente is terrific! Way to go image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I've seen a lot of Kool Rock Wimbley autos in my day and that one looks a little off. The Prince Markie Dee is spot on though.
  • mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    All I can say is that I watched the Fat Boys sign the photo.
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818

<< <i>The Clemente is terrific! Way to go image >>

/////////////////////////

imageimageimage

PoppaJ
  • leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    kind of crappy that CS would not help you out with the grading thing... After my experience with them today I can't say I'm surprised.

Congratulations on the other good part of your sub!!!
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I had that Clemente on my watch list, you got a great deal on that. Congrats!
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Mbothner,
    You misunderstand what the March Special was.

It was for autograph GRADING, not authentication. Waiting until march would still have costed you the same amount of money, they just would have thrown in the numerical grade for free.

<< <i>
    Any full-price submission sent to PSA/DNA for autograph authentication between March 1 and March 31 will include our Autograph Grading service at no additional charge! That's right. Not only will your prized autographs be eligible for authentication by the number one brand in the hobby, PSA/DNA will throw in the grading of your autographs for free! Click here to learn more about Autograph Grading.

Be sure that your submissions are postmarked by March 31st, 2009. There is no maximum quantity, submit as many autographs as you want! Sports and non-sports autographs are eligible for this special. This also includes those autographed items that are submitted for encapsulation. >>

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
    alifaxwa2
    After rereading that, I think you are right. At least that makes me feel better.

jimq112
    They were asking $975 or best offer for the Clemente/Traynor and others auto sheet. It was an 8x10 1967 preseason sheet listing all the Pirates players. It had been folded and and was separating at the folds. Luckily all but one auto was in one section that easily separated from the rest of the sheet. This way I was able to get it encapsulated. I saw where they had turned down 2 offers. I offered $875 and paypal was also having an 8% off special so I got it for $805. Since I had a PSA auction letter, it was only another $50 to get authenticated and encapsulated.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭
    very nice autos

and +++1 for the fatboys, boy that was a long time ago, thanks for the memories. i still have the 1 ablum on cassette that i put in every so often.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

CDsNuts
    I called PSA to find out which auto in the Fat Boys photo they thought was off. They called back and said they thought all 3 autos were off. That is very difficult to believe since I know the autos are authentic. I could see maybe one auto being questionable because maybe the guy was in a rush or something but for "experts" to say all 3 autos were questionable makes me question them.
  • The Fat Boys!! I am somewhat embarrassed to admit the first record (and yes, I do mean record) I ever bought was Crushin' by The Fat Boys. This was before rappers started singing about killin' one another & smackin around their ho or shorty or whatever...

Ah, the good ol' days!!
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    It seems amusing to me to see someone talking about listening to the Fat Boys and then looking over and seeing the John Wayne icon. I can just picture the Duke talking about listening to his favorite hip hop artists.... "Fo shizzle, Pilgrim!"
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
    Finally found the picture from the late 1980's when I got the Fat Boys autographs that PSA would not authenticate.

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funky fresh.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    They should at least give you a voucher. Man that sucks. Great Clemente signature. I've been wondering how much Clemente sigs go for.
  • alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They should at least give you a voucher. >>

Why? They performed there service. If they gave vouchers for Questionable items, they would be inundated with fake crap people were trying to force through.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
    I got those autos over 20 years ago. I do not think the autos have any real value but since I got these autos in person with my kids it is a sentimental item. I like to have all my autos in PSA cases and since they will not authenticate it, it is the only auto I own that is not in a PSA case.
  • MA NUTZ MA NUTZ MA NUTZ!!!!!
  • Heidelberg is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen (I was stationed in Nuremburg during the mid 80s).

Sorry that you got screwed on the Fat Boy autos.

Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    One can only hope Joe O. reads this and gives you a free voucher. I am guessing the graders have never even heard of the Fat Boys, therefore, (and with no examples to go by, I am sure), they had no choice but to call it questionable. Kind of like me sending in an 8x10 photo that I signed on the bottom MYSELF. That would be a hoot if they authenticated it!
    Don't need a voucher. It is not about the money. I just would like my autographed photo authenticated since it is real. I wish they would see the photo of the signing and contact me saying that they would at least take a second look at the photo but I know that won't happen. I actually had 2 of these but my daughter lost her autographed photo over the years.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    $75 seems like an awful lot of money to authenticate an item that you "know" to be real...

are you looking to resell it?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
    No, not looking to resell it. I have all the autos that I own slabbed by PSA.
  • The Fat Boys are back ... and you know they could never be wack ....

Disorderlies was so bad, it was good. Markie Dee made a lot of money doing work for Puff Daddy, including production on Mary J. Blige's first album, What's the 411?

If anyone here is really up on hip hop here, they'll remember this favorite from 1992. Extra points if anyone can identify the sample he used for the song. That song went to the 10 top and it was about domestic abuse. How many rap songs now are even sniffing the airwaves about domestic abuse?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEJ6F_Uooqs
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    the sample sounds like Al B Sure?

• << <i>the sample sounds like Al B Sure? >>

Nope, it wasn't our unibrow friend from Westchester County. I'll see if anyone else can take a stab at it before giving the answer.
  • Since I didn't hear anyone, the sample on the Prince Markie Dee track is the Gap Band's "Outstanding" which has been sampled a ton and is a staple on r+b radio.
    SInce PSA could not authenticate my Fat Boys autograph photo I took it to the Chantilly, VA show and submitted it to James Spence.