Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

FINALLY finished a modern set - 2008 Goudey (Dec. 2009 GU Update)

Took a long time, but my final card arrived today to complete the set. Whew, that took a while. The really high numbered SPs were scare and just took time to show up.

In addition to the complete set, I'm working on affordable autos and GUs. Here are the results so far. To be continued...

Olympians and Retired stars:

Modern Players:

More Modern Players (and Bucky)

Active GUs

Retired GU

Eaten in the mail auto (from earlier post)

IWTDMBII

Comments

• fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that set has been a witch. I still have 20-30 SPs to go (I have kinda let them slide too long) I will update my list this weekend.
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    good lookin' set, Kurt - congrats on finishing it!
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    yeah congrats man, I'm still chugging away on that one too but getting pretty close on the master set (sans autos/GU)
  • I have been working on the mini retired players from the set, including all parallel's. If anyone has any extra's, drop me a PM.
  • mickeymantle24mickeymantle24 Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭
  • KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! Those cards look awesome. I really like the Spahn.
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Very Nice! Congrats! image

PoppaJ
  • kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add this one!

IWTDMBII
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Wow man that's awesome. I think I have a Sizemore GU around here. If I find it, it's yours.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Between this and the 07 set, this could be Upper Decks best autograph set in the last 10 years. Great set to build!

Kevin
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Great work! If you have any Olympian autos you want to sell I would be interested in buying.
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Nice job on the set. It's got some tough SP's.

I bought 11 Blasters last week form KMart, so is anyone wants to trade just drop me a PM.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Wow congrats on a very hard set to finsih. I had to give up and settled for the basic. Good luck with the autos!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Kurt - very good looking set - I'm a sucker for auto'ed cards.

I've been working on a graded 63F set since 2004 and not done yet - I may break a record for being the slowest person on the boards!

Good luck on your next project.
    mike
    Mike
    A quick update (if anybody cares)

Have a couple more autos and about 10 more GUs coming in the mail. Fun project, I have to say. Think Upper Deck will be cool with me calling and saying please wait for the 2009 release until I get a bit more caught up?

Kurt
    IWTDMBII
    OK, this is now December and I have completed 2 Master sets of this stupid thing. The last card arrived today for the GU complete set. The Hunter was the tricky one because there was only 1 other one showing up in the year since I've been working on this subset. There is a blank in the 9 pocket holders because the Delmon Young GU is on the checklist, but I don't think it was ever produced. I may still be 1 short, but Here we go:

Also, working on the auto set, here's what we have so far (some of them, they expensive):

The Fielder, Francis, Martin, Youkilis, Lynn, Ramirez, Griffey & Larsen are all short printed. There's also some monkey business going on because the Kennedy Auto is not on the checklist and there is a person in Tenn that keeps leaking them out (along with a Chad Billingsley) and UD won't respond to e-mails asking if they are real, fake or backdoored. I vote for option 3.

I still need a ton of the autos, but that may take a long, long time in that the prices are not in my ballpark right now. Hopefully, I'll be able to continue picking off the low hanging fruit.

On to the red back minis.

Kurt

Once again, to be continued...

IWTDMBII
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Clearly, the Russell Martin cards are the nicest and most important cards of both the GU and autograph sets, although the Chad Billingsley will be just as key once you obtain it.

In all seriousness, though, congrats on your Goudey progress. I dabbled with a Dodger set with the green & red backs, but pulled back on the urge to start yet another retro set. Goudey is definitely one of the nicer looking ones, and UD has always blown away Topps with the auto checklist. Are you going to go after the master there, too? IIRC, there's a Tiger, no? Maybe now that he's changed his name to Cheetah Woods, the prices will come down. image

Again, nice stuff, Kurt!
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Looks great Kurt - congrats on getting this far
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, that's a pretty tough endeavor. It took me forever to just complete the set (1-330).
  • That is a very nice set / collection you put together.

I have a few odds and ends from this set - including a numbered (Milwaulkeee Braves) Ed Mathews mini #/88.

If it will help your collection. PM me.

Thanks for posting all of these to look at.

cheers
  • jswietonjswieton Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is fricking awesome. I am having difficulty putting the base set with SP's together. I havn't even though about getting into the GU's or auto's.
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pulled the Delmon Young gu when the set first came out. If I can find it I will send it to you. Nice accomplishment.
    Thanks, all.

Oh, man, if you could find that Delmon Young, that would be awesome!
    IWTDMBII
  • Nice set. You rush through a set don't you. I'm working, well making some effort, to complete the set and have an expected finish date of roughly 2020.

I have a theory about the Kennedy and Billingsley autos. There was a thread in the last year of two (someone smarter than me might be able to find it) about an ebay seller selling all of a player's cards in bulk. The guy had all the player's auto cards 1 of 1, all 25 of 25, everything. It came out that the player signed the cards, mailed the cards to UD and they were undeliverable and determined to be dead mail by USPS. USPS then either sold (probably) or auctioned the cards. When the guy listed auctions with all 25 of 25, etc. signed cards of the player and you could buy as many you wanted the story came out. Think UD ended up getting the cards back.

There is a USPS dead center in Atlanta, which is not too far from Tennessee where the unlisted cards are coming from. My guess is that for whatever reason, UD sent out some bad return labels in 2007 and these cards ended up in the dead center. Guy from Tennessee probably went to dead center and bought all the cards that were there. However, after losing the first guy's cards to UD they wised up. They are selling the cards under several (three my guess) names and are not making it so obvious that they have all the cards. I think the cards are legit UD produced and signed cards - just didn't get to the market the normal way. Besides the Kennedy and Billingsley cards, there are 2007 Jeremy Accardo Sweet Spot autos, also not listed in Beckett, on ebay with the seller only saying he is from Southern USA - Tennessee fits.