TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    cool stuff ..the silver eagle especially
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    They are really neat.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this for real? >>

It is real. I know 'cause I have one that was shruck with a Tesla Coil.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bert Hickman's TeslaMania Web Site >>

I got an error going to this site.

Try this one.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Tesla coils are the technology that has been researched since I was in Nuclear Engineering Grad school in the early 80s to confine the fusion reaction. There are huge forces generated. The amazing thing is how then can be balanced so evenly to uniformly collapse the coins. --Jerry
  • Options
    I'm suprised noone tried to scam with them saying look at this mint error coin!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750

<< <i>Tesla coils are the technology that has been researched since I was in Nuclear Engineering Grad school in the early 80s to confine the fusion reaction. There are huge forces generated. The amazing thing is how then can be balanced so evenly to uniformly collapse the coins. --Jerry >>

So does it change the density of the coin's metal?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Send it in to see if they'd put it in a genuine slab image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool. Send it in to see if they'd put it in a genuine slab image >>

That might be a vewry cool idea!!! I have a Morgan that they did about 8 years ago!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My neighbor collects (moderns) and I gave a matched date pair of Ikes to him for Xmas . One reg. and one shrunken. Don't lose sight of the fact that you can send your UHRs in to be shrunk too.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>Tesla coils are the technology that has been researched since I was in Nuclear Engineering Grad school in the early 80s to confine the fusion reaction. There are huge forces generated. The amazing thing is how then can be balanced so evenly to uniformly collapse the coins. --Jerry >>

So does it change the density of the coin's metal? >>

Outstanding question! My wager is that since no metal is "lost" during the process, yes, the SG of the metal must be higher now.

But, an even better question....are they still legal tender???
  • Options
    Found this:

Zapped and shrunk
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Pretty Cool, huh.

I have one... forget what it is.

I think there is a rule, this topic must be resuraected every 18 months.....
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Outstanding question! My wager is that since no metal is "lost" during the process, yes, the SG of the metal must be higher now.

But, an even better question....are they still legal tender??? >>

Since the weight/mass doesn't change and the size/volume does, then it stands to reason that density [which is defined as mass per unit of volume] does change. Since the weight of each is the same you probably wouldn't notice it.
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So does it change the density of the coin's metal? >>

The density change would be very small, the equivalent of density changes from additional work hardening of metal that has been previously work hardened during the strike. Actually, the heat generated could have an annealing effect that can slightly decrease the density of the metal.

Temperature changes can slightly change the density of metal, depending on the coefficient of thermal expansion for the metal. Work hardening and annealing density changes are less than thermal changes.

The coins increase in thickness, but the specific gravity change would be nearly immeasurable.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    I wonder with the science behind it if you shrink a silver coin down are you loosing silver content since its in a smaller coin now. or is the silver just more compact into a smaller area. Im sure its the same unless electrons were removed during the magnetic shrinking but i was just wondering.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

No, the density of a metal is a basic elemental property that cannot change appreciably. I haven't seen one of these but I would say it is thicker. The forces try to push everything toward the center and the forces are greater as you get farther from the center. So each element of the coin gets moved toward the center by a force proportional to it's distance from the center (probably some exponent of r but I don't recall). So as it gets pushed toward the center it gets thicker. --Jerry

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    If you drop them in water do they expand back to original size? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

I had this done a few years ago while they were still cheap ($12) and I wanted one from 1997. I think the higher denominations will be too thick to properly fit into a slab. Maybe?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

No, the density of a metal is a basic elemental property that cannot change appreciably. I haven't seen one of these but I would say it is thicker. The forces try to push everything toward the center and the forces are greater as you get farther from the center. So each element of the coin gets moved toward the center by a force proportional to it's distance from the center (probably some exponent of r but I don't recall). So as it gets pushed toward the center it gets thicker. --Jerry >>

The ebay description says its thicker, but I wonder why they don't show an edge shot. So if the volume doesn't change then of course density doesn't either.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    This topic is due to rise to the top again.

And for those of you awaiting an answer.... I checked. My coin is a Mississippi State Quarter.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    Found this on the site:

<< <i>As the coin shrinks in diameter, it becomes correspondingly thicker, so a shrunken coin still retains the same mass, volume, and density as the original coin. The amount of “shrinkage” depends on the applied energy – a higher energy pulse results in a smaller coin. >>

GMan
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the coins weight change, volume?
    Does the shruken ASE shown still weigh 31.1 grams?

EDIT: How about stretching an ASE to the dia. of 5"?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cooooool
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    <The coins increase in thickness, but the specific gravity change would be nearly immeasurable. >

Agreed. There is no loss of metal, weight is the same.

Back when Bert was first selling these he agreed to shrink some coins I sent him. I had him do a Walker, JFK and maybe something else.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file