Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Wondercoin remember what these sold for last year when they were "rare?"

OUCH!! I guess I took a whuppin huh? imageimage
Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Comments

• PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Will keep going down......that's what all the experts tell me.
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dog: I missed that auction. Nice price Tim won the coin for tonight! Did you see the auction after the fact or decide not to pick up another coin? image Wondercoin.

P.S. Oops, you asked me a question- Several hundred bucks. In fact, the coin has traded (3) times in the past year on Teletrade - the last time 4 days ago at the highest price for the past year at around $210 with buyers fee!! There is always a risk when you open an auction on ebay at $1 or $9.99 as seen here!!

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Dog, just threw next weeks paycheck at your auctions!image Someone got a heck of a buy on that quarter!

-----------------------------
    Dave

SORRY, Dog just noticed this isn't your auction.image
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    only a small amount of the modern coins have been slabbed. As more and more modern coins are slabbed the price will dropimage I believe that the vast majority of coins like the 1916-D mercury dimes are is someones slab. I prodict that slabbed coin pricse(coins in the 90's) will drop image
    Tnis is only my opinion, but I prefer coins no longer in production.

Pat Vetter
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Quarterjack,
    Those aren't Dog's auctions!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    For those of you that are wondering what this post was about.........

I am a "Classic" collector but I collect highest grades from 1997. Biz, Proof, Commem, Bullion, all of em. Wondercoin and I have discussed the prices for this model in the past, it seems like a fellow board member that was a Quarter collector paid almost $1,000 for this model when it was a pop 1 or 2 to make a #1 Set. Then the price leveled out around $400. I paid $275 for mine and was pleased that I got a "good deal". Then somebody made a bunch more 67s and a few 68s and now this {sinking sound} is going to be the current market price, it won't go much lower. Same thing happened with the JFKs but the 67 price has remained strong. Same thing happened with the Lincolns, Jeffersons, and Rosevelts but the prices are not as strong. I overpay for a high grade Modern Clad, it is soon outranked and the price drops and I overpay again to get the new highest graded. Will it ever end??? image I think it will at MS-68 but the Jefferson has topped out at MS-66 for a while.

Of course I knew and expected that the "bubble would burst" as more rolls, bags and mint sets were searched out so it's no big deal. image Just for grins the price of some of my Commems & Eagles have doubled and remained strong. image
    Dog: I just read your latest post. I realize you are not "into" the clad quarters as a set and don't keep up with the day to day activity. Let me see if I can assist with your analysis image

First, as I mentioned above, the 1997(d) quarter just traded 4 days ago at the highest trade of the year on Teletrade (around $210 with fees). It traded 2 other times in the past year for slightly less than that amount. The #1 set buyer you are referring to I believe never paid anywhere near $1000 for this date, around $170 may be closer to a level paid actually. So, where did you get confused? Simple. You are referring to the much scarcer 1997(p) quarter in PCGS-MS67, a coin that has traded above the $1000 level as a pop 1.

The 1997(p) quarter in grades MS67 and above is a very difficult date to obtain. I suspect dog was never able to buy one despite his attempts over the years?? I believe Dog has simply mixed these dates up in his analysis that a clad quarter has gone from $1000 to $50. Again, the 97(d) quarter is a much more common coin and usually trades around the $200 mark. The 1997(p) is a very desireable coin in MS67 and will likely trade for much, much more in the rare opportunities that the coin becomes available. Will these coins all go to $5 in 5 years or $2000 in 5 years-that's for you to decide. I am simply asnwering Dog who, imho, has mixed up the 1997(p) and 1997(d) quarters in his analysis. image

TODAYS POPS ON THESE QUARTERS:

1997(P): 2/0 IN MS67 (both coins in top clad quarter collections)
    1997(D): 16/2 IN MS67 AND MS68 GRADE (both MS68 coins in quarter collection(s).

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand the confusion. Usually it's the "D" mint that doesn't make the high grades while the "P" mint do.

peacockcoins

• Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I know the difference between a stinking D & P mint! image I may be a little off on the price of the D mint. It's been a while since I talked to the guy that had both the P&D in 67 when 67 was highest graded but I can swear he told me he paid around $1,000 for the D mint about a year or so ago. Or maybe it was around $1,000 for both of them together. He had both P mints and several D mints, I remember that much. It was much much more than the $50 recently realized anyhow. I can also assure you that the MS67 D mint has sold for more than the $210 you stated. That's not my warped memory but a fact. image

Both of the MS67 P mints have been within my grasp but eluded me. I have patience, I have been working this set for nearly 5 years when MS66 was the pop1/0 for all the 1997 biz strikes denominations. Many were pop 0/0/0 then. I've upgraded from 65 to 66 to 67 and am now working 68s but 68s are really tough you know. Especially with the pressure from Registry Sets. There will soon be more 68s made for all issues and maybe I can pick up that pesky MS67 P mint 25¢ for $50. image Maybe even 68s for several hundred $$. image
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth:

On July 14 2001

65 66 67 68
    1997P 12/14/1/0
    1997D 7/10/9/0

On Jan 25 2002

65 66 67 68
    1997P 12/14/2/0
    1997D 7/14/14/2

And now the 1997D has 16 in 67. Seems like the 97-D is going up in Pop's, while the 97-P seems fairly static, although another MS67 has been made in the last 8 months.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • PERFECTOMANIA, hmmm???????? Only time will tell for sure.

Best Regards,

Mike De Falco
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
    Mike: Can't be "Perfectomania" here as you made it clear on another thread that term begins with the MS68 grade image

It's been quiet around here for 24 hours. Let's not start up again-hugh! image Wondercoin
  • Mitch,

You wouldn't know what to do with your spare time if you didn't have me to debate with.

Best Regards,

Mike De Falco
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

• Mitch...

I stand corrected! Let me rephrase that...MODERNMANIA, hmmm??? Only time will tell. Is that better little buddy?

Best Regards,

Mike

Mike: Thank you. You were like a moving target there! First, you made it clear on t thread that only grades 68 and up were within your definition and then you threw a "curve ball" with responding to an MS67 quarter issue with you patented "perfectomania" reply! Glad we cleared that up image

Now, let's get off this silly topic and get everyone to adopt my proposal on the US Coin Forum Board. We can push for the change "hand in hand". image Wondercoin
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still hoping Mitch is spending a bit of his spare time in locating that ever elusive VG08 Hawaiian Commemorative for me. . . (hey, I can dream, can't I?)

peacockcoins

Pat: I actually asked the guy about the coin for you on Tuesday (day before Long Beach) as the owner was checking into his Long Beach hotel. He seemed confused thinking he had another low grade Commem. but not the HA. I told him anyone would due, but I really wanted that HA. Next time we talk on the phone, I'll give you contact information for this guy. image Wondercoin