Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NACT vs. NGE vs. NFC

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
I always get those dealership acronyms confused. Could someone (like Wei, for example) please give the rundown of who's where and the main players and strengths of each organization?

In the past, I have purchased a coin from NGE (at a FUN show) and (T)NFC on ebay.

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I ever heard of NGE or NFC.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭
    Here you go. This should cover it:

NACT: North American Certified Trading
    --Located in Irvine, California (part of the Spectrum-Teletrade-Bowers and Merena-Ponterio-Greg Manning Auctions conglomerate)
    --NACT
    --Retail through website

NGE: National Gold Exchange
    --Located in Tampa, Florida (Principal, Mark Yaffe)
    --Wholesale and retail

NFC: Numismatic Financial Corporation
    --Located in Winter Springs, Florida (Principal: Tim Carroll)
    --Retail gallery, website, and coin show presence (wholesale and retail)
    Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    Back to the alphabet soup, do the troubles at NGE benefit NACT and/or NFC? image
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    As requested here's the brief rundown:

NACT - Defunct after being merged into Bowers and Merena. Jim Fehr is the director of the division.

NFC - Based in the Orlando, FL area. Has a b/m shop and attends all major shows. Tim Carroll (father of Ryan Carroll) is the principal. Has some sharp, young talent in staff.

NGE - National Gold Exchange of Tampa, FL. As mentioned on the forums numerous times today.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    NFC - They hand-label their packages. They slipped a digit once and _almost_ sent my gold coin to a nearby slum neighborhood. Four weeks later, it arrived safely in my hands after travelling the country twice.

Dealers, a plea: Use computers to generate your mailing labels, please!!!

NFC's pictures could be better for sure.

I often get NFC confused with Northeast Numismatics, which I don't think has an acronym. It's important not to confuse the two companies!

Northeast Numismatics is pretty strong in world coins. Cool.
  • Options
    I often get NFC confused with Northeast Numismatics, which I don't think has an acronym. It's important not to confuse the two companies!

I have seen the latter referred to as NEN.

NACT, NGE, NFC, NEN, and, of course, NGC. image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I often get NFC confused with Northeast Numismatics, which I don't think has an acronym. It's important not to confuse the two companies!

I have seen the latter referred to as NEN.

NACT, NGE, NFC, NEN, and, of course, NGC. image >>

Don't for get

NNC = National Numismatic Certification

NNI = National Numismatics Incorporated

There are quite a few more with N not being the first letter
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have picked up some pieces from NFC on eBay and from their website. They have always quickly delivered what I ordered. They ain't cheap, but they do have a decent selection.

A word of warning, however. They seem to be mostly accurate on variety designations, but sometimes they miss the mark. Surprisingly, they are not apologetic about their mistakes nor do they provide a refund on shipping if they are wrong with a variety designation. So...attribute before you buy the coin. They may have a group of young, sharp numismatists, but their customer service is weak.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    I have good luck with NFC coin. Also they have good pix on the website

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file