Home U.S. Coin Forum

She's a bit of a homely 26-D Standing Liberty Quarter... But I like Her!

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
Full Head 1926-D in a Cleaned UNC Details - NET AU55 holder with some ugly spots... off for a makeover hopefully NCS could make her a beauty image

Does anyone have a NCS success stories image

imageimageimage

Edited: 3/2/09 My Images Below.

Well it showed up today and is far nicer then expected from the EBay sellers images... I'm quite happy as is.

The Sellers EBay listing... I never before hit a Buy-It-Now so rapidly! image

Cline estimates less the 1% of 1926-D's have a full head or virtual full head.

It's up to a $5K for a non problem AU58FH Pop 4 between all services and the 1 NGC AU58FH I've seen is not a FH IMHO and sold for roughly $1400 as I recall.

A nice MS64FH would be $15-17.5K

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    Are they carbon spots? If so I doubt they come off. I just got a nice BU BTW commem with dreaded carbon spots all over it. Nothing will take them off. I guess thats what I get for buying raw on ebay.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Full Head 1926-D in a Cleaned UNC Details - NET AU55 holder with some ugly spots... hopefully NCS could make her a beauty image

Does anyone have a NCS success stories image

imageimageimage >>

...........a little steel wool will fix that right up!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    After looking at it again, it looks like it could just be dip residue taht has turned.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are they carbon spots? If so I doubt they come off. I just got a nice BU BTW commem with dreaded carbon spots all over it. Nothing will take them off. I guess thats what I get for buying raw on ebay. >>

Sellers pics... I can't completely state what they are till in hand.

I'd like to say they are just spotty blotches that appeared after the cleaning image
  • zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    I sent a nice 1935 Waitangi crown to NCS for a little preservation. They told me "na, looks good to us, we don't want to touch it." PCGS slabbed it PR65. (or 64, I don't remember).

That's my best NCS story. You know, when they actually left the coin alone.

Another one is when they slabbed a cleaned coin for me, again without doing anything to the coin.

Another is when they did a preventative PVC removal one some gold and left the coin spotted. They cleaned it up after I sent it back.

Another is when they removed some carbon spots on a 1883 w/ CENTS 5C, but the result is far worse than the carbon spots.

I'm guessing for your coin, a quick dip by NCS will be just fine.
  • GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    Save your money. All that piece needs is a dip. If it's cleaned though, it might actually just look better the way it is.
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    NCS might make it look a little better, but it will still be cleaned underneath. Let us know how it looks in hand.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

<< <i>NCS might make it look a little better, but it will still be cleaned underneath. Let us know how it looks in hand.

-Paul >>

Will do... I'll post some jumbo hi-rez images once received image
    Well it showed up today and is far nicer then expected then the EBay sellers images... I'm quite happy as is.

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Looks good.

My only NCS story is with a gold coin that had as PCGS stated "questionable color" from what looked like a burn mark. They did a great job and PCGS had no problem with it after the fact. A rare case where the coin looked better after conservation.

<< <i>Looks good.

My only NCS story is with a gold coin that had as PCGS stated "questionable color" from what looked like a burn mark. They did a great job and PCGS had no problem with it after the fact. A rare case where the coin looked better after conservation. >>

I'm not too worried as based on the sellers pics as it's not a hideous as it could have been.

The sellers pics I posted where lightened via photo shopped as they where dark and the anacs white acrylic was almost brown in his images.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the coin has character, as is.
    Maybe you can find a better example and would consider this a legitimate "offer", in order to "keep" it from the conservationists if you're still entertaining that thought, friend image

<< <i>I think the coin has character, as is.
    Maybe you can find a better example and would consider this a legitimate "offer", in order to "keep" it from the conservationists if you're still entertaining that thought, friend image >>

I'm happy with this example as I don't see the spots when I look at this coin in hand! imageimage
  • veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    You nitpickers are remarkably restrained.
    This is a FULL HEAD 26-D. WOW!!!!!
    The rarity of this coin overrides the so-called "condition problems."
    Time to celebrate.image
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    The little toning spots add to the beauty of the coin IMO, very nice piece that I'd be happy to own.

<< <i>You nitpickers are remarkably restrained.
    Time to celebrate.image >>

Thanks Veryfine! image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck.... You scooooooooooooored...... nice acquisiton. Cheers, RickO
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck - you struck GOLD - and regardless
    of the fact its been cleaned [ how bad a cleaning was it ? ]
    its worth soooo much more than what you paid.

Its an ultimate Full Head - and one of the very best strikes
    I have ever seen on a 26-D. I had an UFH in a PCGS 63 holder which
    was the equal to this. Five years ago, I paid mid 8K for it.

Just goes to show that alot of sellers don't know what they have.
    If ANACS had listed that coin as : UNC Details - Cleaned - Net Grade AU55FH -
    you wouldn't even have a shot at this SLQ.

Good Job ! Glad you were able to land this as I know how
    much you enjoy this series in FH.

Edited to add: Send this to NCS and see if they can get the grease spots out - and
    then request a Genuine Holder - and an "UNC - Cleaned - FH Details" Designation on the holder.
    Well worth a shot.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for poppin' my rivets , MFH. I was tryin' to RIP the guy image

<< <i>Broadstruck - you struck GOLD - and regardless
    of the fact its been cleaned [ how bad a cleaning was it ? ]
    its worth soooo much more than what you paid.

Its an ultimate Full Head - and one of the very best strikes
    I have ever seen on a 26-D. I had an UFH in a PCGS 63 holder which
    was the equal to this. Five years ago, I paid mid 8K for it.

Just goes to show that alot of sellers don't know what they have.
    If ANACS had listed that coin as : UNC Details - Cleaned - Net Grade AU55FH -
    you wouldn't even have a shot at this SLQ.

Good Job ! Glad you were able to land this as I know how
    much you enjoy this series in FH.

Edited to add: Send this to NCS and see if they can get the grease spots out - and
    then request a Genuine Holder - and an "UNC - Cleaned - FH Details" Designation on the holder.
    Well worth a shot. >>

There's not a single hairline on it due to cleaning... just sorta looks like a coin that is over dipped as the reverse looks kinda flat.

Cline mentions some of the early die stage 26-D's have an almost polished look... yet I've never seen one of these.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    Crack it out of its current holder and throw that baby in an envelope or album for a bit, then re-submit!
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice F/H there Broadstruck. SLQ's are one of my "rolling" favorites.

I had NCS remove a spot on an early silver commem which formed in the holder
    Coin looks super and spot has not returned after many years.image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice full strike and details! What's so homely about her?? I like her also!! Nice pick-up
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

<< <i>Nice full strike and details! What's so homely about her?? I like her also!! Nice pick-up >>

She was more homely looking based on the sellers images.
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    I haven't heard of the Hard Too Fine grade. Damn TPGs, always some new gimmick.

<< <i>I haven't heard of the Hard Too Fine grade. Damn TPGs, always some new gimmick. >>

Not a typo either as the seller also spelled it the same in the description image

Yet I'm not sure what the BREEDING is image

1926-D FULL HEAD...ONE OF THE HARDEST COINS TOO FINE IN FULL HEAD..UNFORTUNATELY IT WAS LIGHTLY CLEANED LONG AGO...THE HEAD IS SUPER NICE.ALL 3 LEAVES ARE SHARP,,THE HEAD IS WELL DEFINED..AND THE EAR HOLE IS THERE !!!..THE KNEE IS WELL DEFINED AND ROUND...THE BREEDING AROUND THE RIM IS VERY SHARP..THE RIVETS ON THE SHIELD ARE THE ONLY WEAK POINT ON THE COIN.TWO RIVET HEADS ARE WEAK.....ON THE REVERSE ; THE OVER ALL FIELD IS DULL AND YOU CAN TELL ,THERE.. IT'S BEEN CLEANED ...WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SEEN A 26-D FULL HEAD.???.THIS COIN WOULD BE IN THE THOUSANDS IF IT WASN'T CLEANED ONCE UPON A TIME...WHY THE HOLDER LACKS THE FULL HEAD NOTED..., IS BEYOND ME !!! BUY NOW FOR $230.00
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    Hard
    Too
    Fine

all spelled correctly, all would have passed the speel-chequer
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Excellent coin! I'll bet that 1926-D's with that kind of detail (obv and rev) are far less common than 1% ay Cline estimates. Only two weak rivets and some softness to the central shield....Beautiful!

<< <i>Excellent coin! I'll bet that 1926-D's with that kind of detail (obv and rev) are far less common than 1% ay Cline estimates. Only two weak rivets and some softness to the central shield....Beautiful! >>

True as PCGS as a total population of 78 FH's and NGC has 33 FH's in all grades.

Now that's like less then 3 rolls of quarters and that's doesn't count multiple resubmissions without sending in the old slab inserts.

All that from a mintage of 1,716,000 sure seems like less then 1% as TPG has been with us for well over 2 decades.
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    OK...but...NGC & PCGS' idea of "full head" and your coin are not in the same ballpark!

Your numbers indicate 0.006% (six ten-thousandths percent!)

<< <i>OK...but...NGC & PCGS' idea of "full head" and your coin are not in the same ballpark!

Your numbers indicate 0.006% (six ten-thousandths percent!) >>

I painlessly waited 5 days for the dealership to post an image on their site as per their description I was excited.

1917 S T-2 25C NGC MS63FH PQ, ATTR. TONE, LUSTROUS, WELL STRUCK

Finally this... nice SLQ BUT where's the FH image

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What sort of boludo would let that go so cheaply? As others have said, this coin is almost impossible to find in FH. The only coin stories I have which can match this one are:
    1) the 32 S quarter I found in change
    2) the CC GSA Morgan I got in 1980 which is now in a PC 6 holder
    3) the 36 S Walker I got at an auction for $35 in 1968 which is now in a PC 6 holder

And imo, none of them approach what I think your coin is worth. Someone likes you, señor!
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have quite a few NCS success stories and your coin doesn't look like it'll be one of them. the spotting in the pictures looks to be heavy oxidation or carbon, both of which might be lessened in appearance but probably not removed entirely. there will most likely be a visible spot left after any dip or conservation.

• rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

Did I just read this right? A Full head 26-D, and not a gradeflation BS "FH" but a TRUE full head 26-D AND YOU BOUGHT IT FOR $230? Who cares if it went swimming in dip a few times too many or that it's spotted, it's a heck of a strong FH and we all know how rare a FH 26-D is, let alone one that well struck.

Best eBay SLQ Bargain that I've ever seen. You stole that coin, and you stole it because I didn't see it first image

Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
    Heck with it, you don't get a You Suck award for that... Mean People Suck.. and Nice People.......
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car

<< <i>

Did I just read this right? A Full head 26-D, and not a gradeflation BS "FH" but a TRUE full head 26-D AND YOU BOUGHT IT FOR $230? Who cares if it went swimming in dip a few times too many or that it's spotted, it's a heck of a strong FH and we all know how rare a FH 26-D is, let alone one that well struck.

Best eBay SLQ Bargain that I've ever seen. You stole that coin, and you stole it because I didn't see it first image >>

I didn't steal it as the seller knew what he had... I just very quickly paid what the seller wanted as it was listed at a start of .99c or a Buy It Now of $230.

<< <i>Heck with it, you don't get a You Suck award for that... Mean People Suck.. and Nice People....... >>

Just send money... can't buy coins with all these You Suck awards image

imageimage
    Here's a pic of MFH's ole PCGS MS63FH

• dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    that is a amazingly nice '26-d for strike. looks like the luster was damaged during the cleaning, but probably worth getting doctored!

nice job!!!

K S
    Oops I never posted the sellers actual slab image with no mention of a FH.

Lucker than a saoilor in... well, you get the idea image
    I just found a message from the seller dated May 13th in my EBay account...

HELLO,I'M GLAD YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL FROM ME..I KNEW ANACS SHOULD OF LABELED IT FULL HEAD.I KNEW IT WAS....WHY THAY DIDN'T,, I DON'T KNOW.I HAVE SOME NOTES THAT CAME BACK FROM CGA GRADED VERY BAD!I'M STARTING TOO WONDER ABOUT THE GRADING COMPANY'S.I THINK IT'S HOW MUCH YOU SEND THEM,THAT DETERMINES THE GRADE...YOU COULD DROP A FEW BUCKS IN MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT IF YOU WOULD BE SO KIND.SMILE SMILE..I'M GLAD YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL...GOD BLESS.
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    "86" the spots and I'll say image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    So is it off to NCS or PCGS now?

<< <i>So is it off to NCS or PCGS now? >>

Update...

I showed it to David Lange of NGC 3 shows ago who stated they could remove the spots with just a dip if submitted for conservation.

I opted not to do so as imho it had already seen a few trips to the dipping jar.

I only brought it for show-n-tell, but accepted an offer from a dealer and sold it as is.

I had a chance to see it cracked, dipped, and neutralized in a 2" x 2" cardboard holder at the last show and the spots are still somewhat apparent and the surfaces are now completely lack luster.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file