Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Congrats to Matt Chapman"Chapman collection #1" his MPL collection has tied

another friend of mine "curly's matte proof Lincolns" at #6 and both of these sets are tied for the current finest MPL set without any "RED" dates at 66.63.

What a date to move up in the rankings on the 200th Birthday anniversary of our great President who's image is displayed on the Matte Proof cents from 1909-1916.

As far as "Alltime finest" MPL sets without "RED" coins Liston One remains on top at #10 with a rating of 66.74. Liston Two, curly's matte proof Lincolns and Chapman collection #1 are tied for 11th-13th place with 66.63
Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• curlycurly Posts: 2,880

AAAARRRRGGGGHH........Congratulations says curly through his tears. image
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Great job Curly and Matt. This could not happen to two nicer guys.
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job Matt. That is an awesome accomplishment! BTW, you couldn't be linked with a finer man. I'm proud to call him my friend.
  • Hi Matt....

I do occasionally check out the registry forum, I saw this thread and I thought I would say congrats. I checked out your set, it looks great. Saw that you have the 1912 from Liston One.

First time I've posted in probably two years....

Wanna know how I acquired the 1912? Ebay! I remember about 10-12 years ago nervously clicking on the “bid” button. The description said Eliasberg which seemed very cool especially at the time. Not sure it even had a picture. Probably didn't. You don't wanna know what I paid for it.

Check the old MPL threads, Doug and I had several “back and forths” back in the day regarding red-brown MPLs before they become popular. Doug is a fine man with a wonderful collection who recognized the beauty of RB MPLs (especially the colorful ones) while defending the obvious beauty and value of his collection.

While wishing that no set will ever top my “no red” set in the registry, I know that someday one will. As you upgrade just make sure you value beauty above what it says on the slab.

Just some thought. Thanks all....

Tim
  • Matt & Curly:
    Congratulations to both of you on assembling such fine sets! They are both major achievements and worthy of the highest honors.
    Regards,
    Jonathan
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    image Great set and a great guy.
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Matt.... >>

Hi Tim,

<< <i>I do occasionally check out the registry forum, I saw this thread and I thought I would say congrats. I checked out your set, it looks great. Saw that you have the 1912 from Liston One.

First time I've posted in probably two years.... >>

Wow! Thanks. It's a treat to hear from you.

<< <i>Wanna know how I acquired the 1912? Ebay! I remember about 10-12 years ago nervously clicking on the “bid” button. The description said Eliasberg which seemed very cool especially at the time. Not sure it even had a picture. Probably didn't. You don't wanna know what I paid for it. >>

I heard. The previous owner sent me a copy of your original eBay transaction page as part of the provenance package, along with the Eliasberg catalog. Neat stuff. I wasn't too surprised at the hammer price for that coin. I don't really get hard feelings about things like that. For every boat I've missed, I've caught anotherimage

<< <i>While wishing that no set will ever top my “no red” set in the registry, I know that someday one will. As you upgrade just make sure you value beauty above what it says on the slab. >>

Sheesh! Was it that obvious that I was building a set in number alone? No, seriously. These are wonderful coins, and quality and eye appeal doesn't always come with big numbers to back it up. While a big part of me wants to crack the top ten ATF with a no red set, the core of my being craves technical merit and eye appeal, and I will always value these aspects of a coin over what it says in the plastic. That said, big numbers don't hurt. Ever seen how a really great 65 looks even better in a 66 holder?image

And thanks all you guys for an entertaining read. I have learned so much from each of you, and your expression of the passion that we all share.