Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you think the SuperBowl timing will effect the prices of the Naftzger Coins?

I was just putting 2-and-2 together and noticed that the Naftzger Collection will be going off just before the SuperBowl starts.
I understand that a lot of people are football fans, and with the Highlight Football event of the year corresponding with the Highlight Mid-Date Large Cent Collection of a Lifetime, do you think bidders will be slightly side-tracked?

(I can almost see it now...Floor Bidders in their tail-gate football jersey's, holding a beer in one hand and a bidding number in the other. Once the sale ends, bidders head back to the party image )

I know that during the FUN Platinum Night sale there was another football game corresponding at the same time as the auction, and there were a handful of people watching the game right outside the room where the bidding was taking place. Now, I'm not saying that prices were necessarily soft during Platinum Night because of the football game, but people do get complacent!

Of course, any bidder really wanting the coins in the Naftzger Collection should be paying attention to the coins over football, but that logic would only make sense in an ideal world.

BTW - Go Cards and I can't wait to see the prices realized image

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    It would take a really rabid football fan to choose the super bowl over
    the chance of a lifetime to get in on that sale. IMHO.
    JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought about that two when they announced the date. But I think that early copper obsession easily beats out anything on the football side.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    You must be running a fever
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>You must be running a fever >>

Nope, healthy and as excited as ever image

I've got a couple of bids in, but expect them to be trumped quite a bit.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Intesting... Now, I might have to check out the auction myself.
    Thanks for sharing the info... image
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    That's what VCR and DVD recorders are for, you miss nothing.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Half-way through the auction and prices are going pretty well.

I'm done watching the auction because the SuperBowl's about to start, but I plan on revisiting to check on the second-half final prices.
  • Options
    According to Laura, the Super Bowl effected prices....along with these other reasons: (Hot Topics on the Legend website).

*The auction took place right smack in the middle of the Super Bowl.
    *The Goldberg internet site had intermittent trouble and really is not easy to use.
    *The economy did play a small role.
    *The past few auctions of major copper were crazy. Many bidders simply felt they had no chance and elected not even to try.
    *Lack of accurate price guides for collectors to use.
    *Collectors prefer popularity vs rarity because of a lack of education. Plus, these coins being copper adds additional fears to some people.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file