Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I hate it when people don't honor their word!..from a BST sale/ more news

About a month ago I ran a thread selling a few toned Lincolns. I had small pics of each, but could email larger images. I had a gentleman imply that he would like larger pics, so I go ahead and email them to him. In a short time this gentleman replies back that the coin is sold and whats my paypal account. I reply back that I don't have a paypal account, but would take a check or money order or cash. About 10 days go by and I haven't heard or seen anything from this gentleman, so I PM him asking about payment. Nothing. 3 days later I PM him again. Now he responds that he ran out of checks and was waiting until he got checks in so he could pay me. Well 2 more weeks and 3 more PMs have been ignored. I know the guy is logged in because he posts about everyday. It's only $20, so it's not the money. If the guy doesn't want the coin why doesn't he just man up and tell me.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Bruggs
edit...so I send this guy a PM stating that the deal was off. A month is long enough to pay for a $20 coin. In less than 30 minutes I get a reply. He states that "you need to start taking paypal. I didn't even realize that I didn't pay as everyone here takes paypal +3%". Amazing how this PM got answered so quick. WTF!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    His name??
  • Options
    tggrtggr Posts: 748
    His name?
    Joe the plumber
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭
    I have had several people do simular things to me in the past. No matter what you do, when you deal with people you just have to put up with some crap once in awhile image
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.............joe the plumber has too much class for that!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would:

a) PM him that the sale is officially off due to non-payment in a reasonable time frame.
    b) Relist the coin(s).
    c) Post this person's identity as a service to the rest of the members here.
  • Options
    I've got about 5 members blocked for the same reason.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would:

a) PM him that the sale is officially off due to non-payment in a reasonable time frame.
    b) Relist the coin(s).
    c) Post this person's identity as a service to the rest of the members here. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    Have had a couple of folks like that, but overall most are pretty good folks.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    There could be reasons other than deceit that have caused this situation...especially with the economy the way that it is. I've already had situations where a buyer could not complete a purchase because he came upon financial hardship or had a family issue arise. If the person lets me know, I don't get too excited about it.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There could be reasons other than deceit that have caused this situation...especially with the economy the way that it is. I've already had situations where a buyer could not complete a purchase because he came upon financial hardship or had a family issue arise. If the person lets me know, I don't get too excited about it. >>

So why is the buyer stringing along the seller? If the buyer can't pay for the coins, he should at least tell the seller.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giving the buyer the benefit of the doubt... he offered you a PayPal payment and you rejected... if it ended there I would say it wasn't sold...

However, seems like some other communication occured after that and the buyer's behavior is inexcusable. You won't take PayPal, he doesn't have a check, maybe you should just call the deal off and move on?? That's what I would do, I would just not sell to them even if they eventually were able to get a check together. The lack of communication isn't cool at all, especially if you know they are logging in.

I've held coins that I had on the BST for folks while they were able to gather funds to pay or whatever, sometimes they've backed out, but as long as there is prompt communication it doesn't bug me, especially for something that isn't too expensive.

Not sure about outting them publicly though, would hope that you'd at least PM the buyer a link to this thread so they have the opportunity to respond.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would offer them to the next member intrested... If no one else is intrested, then relist the coins again. No big deal...
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    I agree that I would officially call the deal off, but if this person ran out of checks then why can't that person use a money order?

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Y not have a paypal account???
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up some of Bruggs' Lincolns....top shelf. His loss.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I picked up some of Bruggs' Lincolns....top shelf. His loss. >>

I agree.
    Caring, great seller.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about outting them publicly though, would hope that you'd at least PM the buyer a link to this thread so they have the opportunity to respond.

I agree. It's usually more entertaining when that happens.

Frankly, I would not out the guy for non-payment on a $20 item. No harm, no foul. You still have the coin. Outing should be reserved for real malfeasance, IMO, not penny ante stuff.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    b) Relist the coin(s).
    c) Post this person's identity as a service to the rest of the members here. >>

B-S-T is what you make it. Your reluctance to do the above 3 things only perpetuates the problem.

Y not have a paypal account???

Are you blaming the buyer's non-performance on the seller for not having a paypal account?

Are you one of those gems who wins an ebay auction and then starts dictating the terms, hoping the seller is so afraid of a neg that they'll agree to anything?

Interesting thread.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I wouldn't get too upset over this. Lots of people order coins with money they need for basic living expenses, and this guy is probably embarassed about not being able to pay for the coin when he was supposed to.

That said, please post the guy's user ID. If you don't, he's going to do the same thing to someone else here. The next seller might send him the coins first, thinking he's a respected daily contributor to the forum. Also, posting the guy's ID might help him stop buying toned Lincolns he evidently can't afford.
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was good deal anywhere on the planet.. 7 each for the halves and 3.50 each for the quarters.
    But never a response?

Anyhow, this ain't spam cause I ain't selling them now.

Date Posted: Jan/10/2009 9:53 AM
    right now I've got 19 barber quarters and 25 halves

I'd ask 220 delivered. Not all of them are in the picture but you get the idea. I need to keep the Dansco book.

Dave.

Reply Delete Top Bottom

ACactions
    Date Posted: Jan/10/2009 9:44 AM
    we can work that out...

Reply Delete Top Bottom

DNADave
    Date Posted: Jan/10/2009 9:37 AM
    I'll have to photograph some stuff and get back with you.

How does 7 each for halves sound?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There could be reasons other than deceit that have caused this situation...especially with the economy the way that it is. I've already had situations where a buyer could not complete a purchase because he came upon financial hardship or had a family issue arise. If the person lets me know, I don't get too excited about it. >>

Seems these days a lot of people can easily use that as an excuse too; we just have to take their word for it.
  • Options

<< <i>[Frankly, I would not out the guy for non-payment on a $20 item. No harm, no foul. You still have the coin. Outing should be reserved for real malfeasance, IMO, not penny ante stuff. >>

So what's the dollar value cutoff for outing someone who reneges on their word?
  • Options
    Coll3ctorColl3ctor Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So what's the dollar value cutoff for outing someone who reneges on their word? >>

$29.99 image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>[Frankly, I would not out the guy for non-payment on a $20 item. No harm, no foul. You still have the coin. Outing should be reserved for real malfeasance, IMO, not penny ante stuff. >>

So what's the dollar value cutoff for outing someone who reneges on their word? >>

I would only out someone if money or a coin changed hands and the other party did not follow suit with the coin or money, any value. If I sustained some sort of an economic loss over the transaction, I guess I would out the person.
  • Options
    Well, I was going to take up for him because I once was in a similar situation where I told somebody I wanted their coin and before I could pay I ended up in the hospital, but since you said he was making jolly good posts every day, then I would have to say that he was too chicken to face you and back out -- Probably a sign of immaturity/embarrassment/irrational fears of your response to his backing out (like you could reach through the computer and slap him).
  • Options
    Frankly, I would not out the guy for non-payment on a $20 item. No harm, no foul. You still have the coin. Outing should be reserved for real malfeasance, IMO, not penny ante stuff.

I can see Ryk's point here, too. I guess I've heard excuses like being out of checks, etc. so many times that it pisses me off enough that I would out the guy on general principle. Thinking about this a bit, the guy probably planned on paying with a credit card through Paypal, and now he needs to save up his cash. That's not malfeasance, but I'd still out the guy.

Stepping back, there might be a sad story of compulsive collecting behind this failed deal. Someone flying so low to the ground that they can't come up with $20 cash shouldn't be collecting coins IMHO. I think it's easy for people without much money to get caught up in the excitement of collecting, forgetting that regular contributors here like Ryk, Longacre, and Saintguru have high-paying professional careers that offer lots of disposable income, even after they buy their expensive homes, cars, Tiffany baubles for their women, $300 dinners, etc.
  • Options

<< <i>I would only out someone if money or a coin changed hands and the other party did not follow suit with the coin or money, any value. If I sustained some sort of an economic loss over the transaction, I guess I would out the person. >>

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    BruggsBruggs Posts: 449 ✭✭
    ttt for edit
  • Options
    As BST problems go this doesn't sound to bad. No harm no foul.

Edit: not poultry
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    You could just send the guy the coins and see if he sends you the coins back or sends you the money. For $20 bucks it's an interesting experiment.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I received my checks today can I still send you payment now. Please pm I have been looking for you.image
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

So what's the dollar value cutoff for outing someone who reneges on their word? >>

I would only out someone if money or a coin changed hands and the other party did not follow suit with the coin or money, any value. If I sustained some sort of an economic loss over the transaction, I guess I would out the person. >>

RYK you are wrong on this.

A few years back a "Circle of Trust" member kept putting me off on payment for some coins. Finally he said he could not swing the deal after I had sent the coins. I looked at it as "No Harm, No Foul" instead of saying something about him on this forum. Well a few months later he took some members for quite a few bucks if I remember correctly. The bottom line is that if a person starts this crap it just keeps getting bigger if everyone lets the person get away it.

Maybe its "No Harm, No Foul" right now but down the road maybe the person will get you and then wil it be "No Harm, No Foul"?

If Bruggs wants to out the person I say do it.

Ken
  • Options
    So this is your fault for not accepting paypal...image

If the buyer thought he was paying with paypal. Why did he say he was out of checks...image

You either have a stupid buyer on your hands, or he has a bad case of ADHD....

I am usually against outing someone for a private deal.. But his response changed my mind.
    I do not like dealing with stupid people. So please PM me his ID so I can avoid deals with him in the future..

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The only mistake Bruggs made is being too patient. After 13 days with no payment, and then a lame excuse about running out of checks the deal is dead.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I received my checks today can I still send you payment now. Please pm I have been looking for you.

Funny Yaha. I'm done with this thread. Please out the guy, Bruggs.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    YaHa is just being a smartass.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>YaHa is just being a smartass.

Russ, NCNE >>

I was going to say "Dipsh!t" image But I guess it is the same thing image
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>YaHa is just being a smartass.

Russ, NCNE >>

I was going to say "Dipsh!t" image But I guess it is the same thing image >>

You guys know me I have nothing nice to say.image

How bout a smartass Dipsh!t.image

It seems to me the buyer never intended to buy from you. Like Russ said Deal was over at around two weeks.

Sorry for the humor guys, I couldn't resist.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only mistake Bruggs made is being too patient. After 13 days with no payment, and then a lame excuse about running out of checks the deal is dead.

Russ, NCNE >>

13 days is EXTREMELY liberal as far as I'm concerned. And that's if it's less than 25K unless an agreement has been made at the time of sale.

On 20 bucks? Cmon.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would only out someone if money or a coin changed hands and the other party did not follow suit with the coin or money, any value. If I sustained some sort of an economic loss over the transaction, I guess I would out the person. >>

RYK you are wrong on this.

A few years back a "Circle of Trust" member kept putting me off on payment for some coins. Finally he said he could not swing the deal after I had sent the coins. I looked at it as "No Harm, No Foul" instead of saying something about him on this forum. Well a few months later he took some members for quite a few bucks if I remember correctly. The bottom line is that if a person starts this crap it just keeps getting bigger if everyone lets the person get away it.

Maybe its "No Harm, No Foul" right now but down the road maybe the person will get you and then wil it be "No Harm, No Foul"?

If Bruggs wants to out the person I say do it.

Ken >>

Well, we agree to disagree then. Just because someone backs out of a deal does not mean that they will try to steal something next. That's like saying that we should take cars away from people who get caught speeding because some people who get caught speeding later cause fatal accidents.

And, yes, if someone could not afford to pay up on a coin that they committed to buy from me, I would not make a big scene and out them here. Heck, a couple of folks failed to pay me postage on auction catalogs I sent them, despite promising to do so, and I never made a big deal out if it.
  • Options
    I don't blame you for doing a slow burn.
    Not having paypal is no reason to cancel out on an agreed purchase.
    I'd be thinking of kicking some a-- if it were me.
    JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I like the way it's done on the OSA board on the sale a message of SPF is put in the thread and the few times issues like this happens they just put the it's back up for sale buyer backed out (and they give the buyers Username). That way everyone knows what happened and you get to know user traits better.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the way it's done on the OSA board on the sale a message of SPF is put in the thread and the few times issues like this happens they just put the it's back up for sale buyer backed out (and they give the buyers Username). That way everyone knows what happened and you get to know user traits better. >>

Very interesting thought.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Mike,

I say hang 'em image

BTW, you can get a money order at The Post Office for 85 cents image

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭

<< <i>edit...so I send this guy a PM stating that the deal was off. A month is long enough to pay for a $20 coin. In less than 30 minutes I get a reply. He states that "you need to start taking paypal. I didn't even realize that I didn't pay as everyone here takes paypal +3%". Amazing how this PM got answered so quick. WTF!!!!! >>

From your side of the story the guy sure sounds like he doesn't know what's going on. First he claims he ran out of checks, so he knew full well he had to pay by check and then he claims he didn't even know he didn't pay. If he's that scatter-brained he's not someone I'd really want to do business with. I think you did the right thing by calling off the deal.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember a couple of guys who started out reneging, and matured to outright thievery... Backing out on a done deal for twenty bucks is a gateway to high crimes and misdemeanors image.

Out the bastidge already image

And thanks to YaHa, I got my first laugh of the night. If you hadn't, smoeone would've (I mean post what you did, not make me laugh).
  • Options
    AnkurJ was the guy who reneged on the deal.
    Bruggs
    Now I feel betterimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file