Home U.S. Coin Forum

A question for Ebay buyers who never sell

Why do you care if you get feedback if all you do is buy?
I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Comments

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    In 10 years of ebay buying and selling I've never cared about feedback.
  • rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭

<< <i> In 10 years of ebay buying and selling I've never cared about feedback. >>

Me neither. I already have a pretty well-established reputation on eBay, so it really doesn't make much difference whether I receive feedback or not anymore. I still always leave feedback for others, but that's only because it's considered "netiquette" to do so. However it's kind of a low priority to me, so I do it whenever I get around to it. I just hate it when eBayers get impatient and start bothering me with questions like "how come you haven't left me feedback yet?" sort of thing. It's as if it's a game and they're trying to get the "high score" as quickly as possible or something. Seems kind of silly to make a big fuss about it if you ask me.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With a little over 100 buyer-only FB's over 6 years and 3 negs from sellers this applies to me. In each of those cases a seller sent crap in top tiered slabs yet wouldn't stand behind their description or hid behind photos that purposely concealed the problems....hence my negs followed by their retaliatory negs.

Down the road some sellers either cancelled my bids or wouldn't let me bid in their auctions due to the marginal 96-97% FB at the time. In a few cases I told sellers the reasons for my negs up front and that usually would clear the way if they had concerns. My last neg was several years ago. If at some point if did want to sell, such a record would be a severe detriment....and starting from scratch with a new ID would be a slow process. Then again, I'd take the same path again rather than let sellers like that continue to burn fresh buyers. But let's face it, regardless of how your FB was obtained, there isn't one seller who isn't going to think that you're a potential problem buyer. Having 100% FB is nice to have, but certainly no proof that the owner of that FB is not a sheister. Though anyone with a <98% FB rating is almost always a red flag. Doh!

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My last neg was several years ago. If at some point if did want to sell, such a record would be a severe detriment....and starting from scratch with a new ID would be a slow process. Then again, I'd take the same path again rather than let sellers like that continue to burn fresh buyers. >>

eBay only shows a percentage for feedbacks attained in the past year. Plus, I don't think they count buyer feedback when calculating the percentage they show when you list an item.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why do you care if you get feedback if all you do is buy? >>

Because they may become sellers some day and they'd rather not try to sell with no feedback?
  • This may sound corny, but to me, it says something about me personally. When I commit to purchase a coin, I pay prompty and courteously. It may not be a big deal ... but I like knowing that sellers view any transaction with me as being a good experience.

Just my $.02 worth.
  • FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I don't.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This may sound corny, but to me, it says something about me personally. When I commit to purchase a coin, I pay prompty and courteously. It may not be a big deal ... but I like knowing that sellers view any transaction with me as being a good experience.

Just my $.02 worth. >>

You are welcome at my auctions anytime ... the above example, in my opinion, covers 80% of the buyers that I've dealt with over the last 8 years...(Payment received very shortly after the auction closes)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

• << <i>Down the road some sellers either cancelled my bids or wouldn't let me bid in their auctions due to the marginal 96-97% FB at the time. >>

Sellers can cancel bids, but unless a buyer's feedback drops to an absolute rating of -1, there's no mechanism for stopping them from bidding, regardless of the number of negs they've received.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes a seller more willing to take your personal check and/or ship more promptly.
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I don't care.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Down the road some sellers either cancelled my bids or wouldn't let me bid in their auctions due to the marginal 96-97% FB at the time. >>

Sellers can cancel bids, but unless a buyer's feedback drops to an absolute rating of -1, there's no mechanism for stopping them from bidding, regardless of the number of negs they've received. >>

Not true .... If you are on the sellers "blocked bidder list" you will not be able to bid on his or her auction.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been an ebay buyer since 2001 and never sold anything on there.

Just don't care about selling stuff through ebay and my feedback is of little concern to me.

Another seller's feedback is important to me, however.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

• << <i>Not true .... If you are on the sellers "blocked bidder list" you will not be able to bid on his or her auction. >>

True enough, but that's based on an individual decision by the seller to add a specific bidder to the list, not an automated feature which can be applied to the whole eBay universe of buyers. If the seller doesn't know of you (or find out about you before the auction ends), you can bid regardless of how many negs you have as long as your rating is higher than -1.

To be more clear, I should have said that sellers have no way of automatically blocking bidders based solely on the negs they've received.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It makes me feel popular.

Actually, I'm not that worried about it, though I do have the Very Occasional item on the sell side so it does help me.

And it has come in handy as I do get alot of comments about being quick to pay etc, so the couple times I screwed up over the years I apologized and the sellers were fine ("that's okay, I can tell by your feedback it was just an oversight") and all was cool.

There was one time back in the day when a seller would only take money orders/cashier's checks and I sprained my ankle. I could not drive to the post office or anywhere else (and my hubby was out of town of course) to take care of it...and based on my feedback he let me send a check/or wait a week (I can't remember which) without heartburn.

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

I never look at feedback. Couldn't care less.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    It matters very much to me, I am hoping it will help me get a prom date this spring.
  • It helps to get over the fear that you aren't going to pay. I see posts constantly on here about people scared because they have a person with 0 feedback and wondering what to do if that person wins. By having feedback as a buyer it let's the sellers know you can be trusted.
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I don't care about FBs but still if a seller doesn't give feedback after a deal is done I don't buy from them again.

One reason is if you buy an item and give feedback but the seller never gives you FB as the buyer and within 90 days you buy again they can give 2 bad sounding feedbacks (they can't neg but can sound negative) if they rip you off on the second item and you as a buyer justly give them a non positive on your second purchase.

Sellers should think the same, if they gave a buyer a pos but get no FB from the buyer then that buyer buys again within 90 days they can threaten the seller with 2 negs if they have a dispute.

Bottom line is give FB as soon as the deals done as a buyer or seller.

Ed
  • As a buyer only I view feedback left by the seller as a small measure of what type of seller they are.

When paying promptly and leaving the seller feedback, the seller never leaves feedback it says something about their commitment to customer relations and building a ebay clientelle. No feedback and they really dont care about repeat buyers and perhaps customer satisfaction.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're right. Why should a buyer expect a seller to take 5 seconds and give feedback.
    Heck, might as well stay a 0 feedback buyer, even if you have years and multiple wins under your belt....or you may end up selling at some time.

Nice logic.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>

Because they may become sellers some day and they'd rather not try to sell with no feedback? >>

If the feedback is for buying only how does that help your selling reputation?
    Its all relative
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the feedback is for buying only how does that help your selling reputation? >>

It does. It shows up in the number but not in the %.

Ed

• << <i>As a buyer only I few feedback left by the seller as a small measure of what type of seller they are.

When paying promptly and leaving the seller feedback, the seller never leaves feedback it says something about their commitment to customer relations and building a ebay clientelle. No feedback and they really dont care about repeat buyers and perhaps customer satisfaction. >>

Well Said and I agree.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Ditto to pauljuno...I do that everytime after each sale and purchase...after owning my own business for thirty years I still like to handle everything in a professional respectful manner. I see too many times many people haven`t got a clue to the basic ethics of"respect"....
  • PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I don't care.
  • rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭

<< <i>When paying promptly and leaving the seller feedback, the seller never leaves feedback it says something about their commitment to customer relations and building a ebay clientelle. No feedback and they really dont care about repeat buyers and perhaps customer satisfaction. >>

I don't know; I think some people take this kind of thing a little too seriosly. The bottom line for me is, if I like the product / service offered by the seller, I will gladly be a repeat customer, regardless of whether he/she "butters me up" with feedback or not.
  • I would say it is similar to the same reason that forum members make mention of those who they have had successful BST transactions with-advertising that they are worthy of dealing with.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    It shows people I buy from that I am a respectable, respectfull buyer who is not going to rip them off.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • As a buyer I am very proud of my 100% positive feedback. It is important to me because I am not in the USA and many sellers will not normally sell to me because of that. I have contacted a few and they agreed to let me bid. Not all agreed and i respect that but some did so it helped my chances.
    I always pay immediately............usually within minutes. I also always leave feed back. I have never ever left a neg and only 2 times agreed, with the seller that neither of us would leave any feedback.

So by feedback rating, as a buyer is important to me and I try and make very sure it stays at 100% positive.

On a different look, I have always thought that a buyers rating meant something to a seller.........just my thinking of course.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

<< <i>

<< <i>When paying promptly and leaving the seller feedback, the seller never leaves feedback it says something about their commitment to customer relations and building a ebay clientelle. No feedback and they really dont care about repeat buyers and perhaps customer satisfaction. >>

I don't know; I think some people take this kind of thing a little too seriosly. The bottom line for me is, if I like the product / service offered by the seller, I will gladly be a repeat customer, regardless of whether he/she "butters me up" with feedback or not. >>

I agree with this to some extent, as I said it is a small measure for myself as I have established feedback, for someone wishing to build feedback via prompt paying it may be more important. Regardless I don't veiw it so much as buttering up, but a clear way to say thank you and show appreciation, a common business practice.

Couple this with the fact if a seller wishes to check on a bidder , they can check the bidders activity the last 30 days. For example if a bidder has won 15 listings in the last 30 days, but has only received 3 or 4 postive feedbacks it could be an indication of a buyer to avoid.
  • GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374

Because I pay promptly.When a seller looks at my history there is no need worry about my payment whether it be for a few dollars or a few hundred dollars.
    ......Larry........image
  • At this point, I'd suspect most sellers probably don't bother to look at buyers' feedback much anymore unless there's already a problem, so having lots of positives isn't really going to mean much. I know I don't look- what's the point? Buyers aren't going to have anything but positives anyway.

I can't imagine there are many sellers who are taking the time to...

A) Look at the buyer's feedback.
    B) Count up the number of recent comments.
    C) Do a search to count up the number of items they've won recently.
    D) Compare the two numbers.
    E) Investigate any discrepancy in the totals.
    F) Modify their shipping routine in relation to what they've found through their searches.

Yeah, that's a productive use of your time. image
  • It just seems lazy and rude not to take a few moments to leave feedback.

Many times I have bought a $1500 Leica/Canon camera or a $2000 Summilux lens on a camera forum and Ebay feedback was always important to me as a background check. Other than an one loonie from Brazil who wanted to play games with import claim forms, I've never really been taken in probably 1000 transactions over the past decade.

Sometimes I'm slow to get around to leaving feedback, but I attempt to do them all at some point.

• seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

You're right. Why should a buyer expect a seller to take 5 seconds and give feedback.
    Heck, might as well stay a 0 feedback buyer, even if you have years and multiple wins under your belt....or you may end up selling at some time.

Nice logic. >>

that is the best cheap shot you had to offer on this post? Come on you have done far better before.

PS "Why do you" is a question not a statement therefore one can never be right just by asking a question but any 4th grader knows that.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file