Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My trip to the Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh. Dial up warning! Lots of pictures.

This is the new part of the Museum it is joined onto the old part, but the old part is currently closed for refurbishment.

Lots of Scottish coins.

This hoard was discovered near where I live.

Picture of a young James VI

An older James VI

The maiden (also known as the Scottish maiden) was a an early type of guillotine.

An exact copy of Mary queen of Scots Grave.

A pair of dies for Charles II Dollar 1685:

Some really convincing counterfeits:

That's all. I hope you enjoyed it.

Comments

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!! That was very enjoyable. Most of those things I will never have the pleasure of seeing first hand.image
    Becky
  • Options
    Super! Thanks, I wish I could've been there! image

That's a beautiful collection.
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! Thanks for posting the pictures!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great pictures... thanks for posting them

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    imageI WANT TO GO !!!!!!! image
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! Thanks for posting image

Makes me regret not taking pics of the coin cabinet back in Stuttgart.. turns out the old King of Württemberg was quite the collector.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    GREAT thread! This is POTD material if there has ever one.

Some of those photos would make the pulse race in a corpse.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

I did a transfer semester at the University of Edinburgh 25 years ago. Now I feel a compelling need to go back. It's a charming and beautiful city, and I think I need to see those coins....

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    Hus,
    Those are amazing photos.I've got a few Scots coins in my own collection,but no gold coins though.

Aidan.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

Hus -

what a cool visit, and thanks very much for the pictures!! I almost feel like I was there. My wife and I are thinking of a European trip next summer, so maybe we'll stop by! I'm sure she would be bored to tears by this type of thing, but the city itself is awesome!

thanks!

Doug
  • Options
    Words fail me. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, now that was an eyeful.

Surprised they let you take pictures in there. I tried that in the Money Museum in Richmond, VA, and was all but tackled by a very ill-humored and not very diplomatic security guard, despite my not having seen any clearly posted signs prohibiting pictures.

Thanks for the walk-along. Not only do they have some superb holdings, but it looks as though they exhibit and showcase them very well there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I'll second Aethelred's nomination of this post for a DPOTD.

(And SE92's anguished "I wanna go" comment!)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Thanks I'm glad you all enjoyed them. To tell you the truth I'm glad I took the photo's as I can better study them too. There is so much to see and not enough time to study it all.

The dies are quite dark and hard to photograph. The counterfeits were very persuading to look at.

What a job that would be being the curator of numismatics at the museum. The Senior Curator (Numismatics) is Nicholas Holmes. We have never met but we have spoken over the phone, he used to be the president of the Edinburgh numismatic society. Unfortunately the Edinburgh numismatic society is no longer active.

I think the coins on display may change from time to time. Last time I visited there weren't as many on display. Here's one that I'm not sure was on display:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2591235.stm

If it was I don't think I managed to photograph it.

Next I would like to visit the Hunterian Museum. If I do I'll try and get some pictures to share.

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for bring those to us. One more vote for DPOTDimage
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    another thanks for posting! I was totally engrossed! I feel like I took a trip!
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So declared, POTD awarded.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pics! Congrats on the deserved DPOTD!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

Darkside Post of the Day. Thank's all, it's my first one!

• Options
    In a few days I might post pictures of Edinburgh and in particular the Royal Mile which I also took. It will be OT, but those of you interested in architecture and history may enjoy them.

Regards,
    Hus

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Great post! I know where I am going if I ever visit. Wow.
  • Options

<< <i>In a few days I might post pictures of Edinburgh and in particular the Royal Mile which I also took. It will be OT, but those of you interested in architecture and history may enjoy them.

Regards,
    Hus >>

Hus,
    Did you get any photos of Prince's Street,the Cannongate,the Old Scots Parliament Building or Edinburgh Castle?

Aidan.
  • Options
    Congrats on your DPOTD.

I don't think I've ever earned one.

• Options
    Did you get any photos of Prince's Street,the Cannongate,the Old Scots Parliament Building or Edinburgh Castle?

I did get pictures of Cannongate one of the Castle and one looking onto the Scott monument on Princess Street.

I'll post them soon.

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I was there in 2006 and was really impressed with the collection

great pictures, there really are some stunning pieces in there