Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Can you add "Genuine" coins to the registry yet?

I just tried all 3 of my "Genuine" i.e. damaged coins and none of them were addable to the registry. All said, "Bad Cert #".

Is this not yet in place or something?

Comments

• The answer is, yes you can. I have added a few. However, the one I just got back from PCGS had a bad number also. I emailed customer service about the problem yesterday. They are working on it. I still can not add it yet. Sounds like some kind of glitch they are having with the new genuine holders. You should email them about your problem also, give them the cert. number and description.
  • sO YOU COULD HAVE AN entire SET OF GENUINE COINS WITH NO GRADES? an AVG GRADE OF O? This sure "beats" the lowball sets.

Ooooops! Sorry about the cpas (& other sordid professions) being on!!!
  • No, the genuine are NOT low ball and cannot be used on low ball.

Although, I would be intrigued to see an all genuine set. That would be interesting. And probably fairly cheap since you could buy coins of all nature for it image

• << <i>sO YOU COULD HAVE AN entire SET OF GENUINE COINS WITH NO GRADES? an AVG GRADE OF O? This sure "beats" the lowball sets.

Ooooops! Sorry about the cpas being on!!! >>

Actually genuine coins have always been given a grade of GE-1 in a registry set (not 0). Even with problems some of them are worth much more that a PO-1
  • Just please tell me that we won't see people purposefully defacing and "cleaning" perfectly nice coins to build such a set. I can see a new category along-side Low Balls: the Numismatic House of Horrors!

But, I am glad to see "Genuine" coins look like they're going to get their fair share of respect. Something about the word "Genuine," though, as a term for something with problems... Oh, I know where I've seen that before.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Well, PCGS got back to me saying I can now view the coin. True, I can view the coin, but still can not add it (bad cert number again). Must have been a comunication problem. Emailed them again. I am sure it will all work out. Always has in the past.

• << <i>Just please tell me that we won't see people purposefully defacing and "cleaning" perfectly nice coins to build such a set. I can see a new category along-side Low Balls: the Numismatic House of Horrors!

But, I am glad to see "Genuine" coins look like they're going to get their fair share of respect. Something about the word "Genuine," though, as a term for something with problems... Oh, I know where I've seen that before. >>

If someone enjoys it why not?

And you never have to look at it.

This and any hobby should be about enjoyment and if someone enjoys something, more power to them!
  • I suppose. Thankfully rarity itself and market value will protect the coins that need protecting, whereas something minted in the millions could certainly handle some numismatic mayhem. And, on at least two seperate occasions, I've cranked a penny through a souvenir machine, squashing into an oblong oval portrait of a dinosaur. So, I'm guilty, too.

Still, the best bragging rights in such a set might be in finding the worst of the worst on one's own, discovering on a beach some green-mottled discs and discovering that they are in fact a dime and a nickel. Or, finding in circulation something that looks like a blank nickel planchet but on closer inspection has a faint outline of Lady Liberty on one side and a "V" on the other.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.