Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this George Brett rookie card "for real"?

Is this card genuine (i.e. authentic, untrimmed, etc.)? If so, why would anyone put such a beauty in an SGC holder?

Mint 1975 Brett Rookie

Comments

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with SGC. Why are you questioning it?
  • Options
    There's other grading companies besides PSA?
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Looks great in that holder. There's nothing wrong with SGC, except that SGC cards don't qualify for the PSA registry.

Maybe the OP isn't familiar with all the grading companies. I didn't know SGC when I first started collecting plastic.

• Options
    Very Nice Brett, Not sure why your questioning the card in the SGC holder. It just went on my watch list.
  • Options
    "Nothing wrong with SGC. Why are you questioning it?"

Well, it just seems to me that an incredibly well-centered, mint condition Brett rookie would sell for a higher price in a PSA 9 holder. Heck, from the looks of it, it could even have a chance at a PSA 10 (although only a handful have ever been graded PSA 10).
  • Options
    looks like a beauty to me
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    Maybe it has something to do with the seller. I.E. Laser Cut 84 Topps FB.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    The seller has cards from all three major companies for sale. There's nothing wrong with that card.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning the card, notice my above post, I just added the card to my watch list. Thats a great Brett. I am wondering if he is questioning the card based on the history of the seller. Ive made many purchases from Consignmints!
  • Options
    I have never known SGC to holder trimmed or laser cut cards. As a matter of fact, they are generally more reluctant to holder questionable cards than PSA in my experience. That card is beautiful!!!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    It is on consignment, that is why the seller is selling it in the SGC slab.

The question should be why did the owner choose SGC for that card.

Nice card.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Maybe it has something to do with the seller. I.E. Laser Cut 84 Topps FB. >>

rd

P.S. I've questioned, and others here have questioned a few of consignmints auctions in the past. Still, if u could "pick-off" this card "on the cheap", and it does 'crossover' nicely into a PSA slab. (...or one could just keep it "as is" and not risk a "PSA crossover ding", lol!)

But that's the question? Will it be "a PSA mint slab or just another overpriced PSA coffin? image

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "consignment"

Really? I think the word "consignment" to describe an auction on ebay may be right up there with the word "mint" when describing a raw baseball card on ebay - usually a lot of BS.
  • Options
    a beautiful card in a great looking holder. SGC is a solid company. In fact most cards look better in SGC holders.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    scg ,i have alot of scg stuff, better tha gaiimage
  • Options
    Could a more Consistant grading and a superior product from SGC have anything to do with it?
    Being the biggest doesn't have anything to do with being the best. The PSA Registry is a powerful
    drug that holds many hostage.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Dog did you mention that over at the SGC forum?

You should.

Maybe someone will see it, maybe not.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    For what its worth that Brett closed last night at $590! The last two PSA 9 George Brett's to close on EBAY went for $491 and $523 respectively. I think that card/SGC holder got respect!