Home Metal Detecting
Options

ENTRY/NOMINATION THREAD: NOVEMBER 2008 "QUALITY" AWARDS (Best US Coin/Non-US Coin/Jewelry/

Please enter your finds (or nominate somebody else's finds) for the six Metal Detecting Forum "Quality" awards:

The six monthly "Quality" award categories are:

Best U.S. Coin/Token
Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token
Best Jewelry Item
Best Relic/Other
Best "Wild Card" Find
Best Expedition Photo

There is no limit on the number of entries per forum member (except in the Photo category). If your find seems humble in comparison to some of the others, don't sweat it- we like to see what everybody's found, be it humble or fantastic. Just post your item and a brief story of how you found it, or a link to your thread about the find, if there was one. If you can, post a picture of your item (small to medium-sized pictures of single items, please, rather than large groupings, since the pictures will be used in the poll threads at the end of the month). If you make a neat find and do not post it here, we might miss it later when we put the award polls up, so be sure and post your better finds here even if you already posted your own thread about them. Also, let us know what category you're entering for.

BEST U.S. COIN/TOKEN: this category is pretty self-explanatory. Note that it is for detector finds of coins minted in the U.S from 1776 to present - if a coin or token was found in circulation or by eyesight, it belongs in the "Wild Card" category. The award is for single coin finds, though if a cache is found all in the same hole and/or same container at the same time, it may be entered as a single item. Round medals without loops or mount attachments on them may be considered "tokens" and entered into this category. If they have loops for suspension, they should go into the Relic category (or Jewelry, if they are gold or silver).

BEST NON-US COIN/TOKEN: This includes all world coinage with the exception of US-minted coins, obviously.

BEST JEWELRY ITEM: also pretty straightforward, but if you find coin jewelry, you can choose to put it here or in the Coin category. Also, if you find lost jewelry and return it to its proper owner, you still get to enter it in the competition, even though it wasn't "finders keepers". (See if you can get a picture of it, though). Military decorations can count as jewelry if they are gold or silver.

BEST RELIC/OTHER: this category pretty much covers anything found with a detector that isn't a coin or jewelry.

BEST "WILD CARD" ITEM: this category is only for finds made without a detector. It may include coins or jewelry, but if you found those with your detector, they go in the categories above. This is for surface "eyeball" finds, circulation coin finds, and pretty much anything else, including nonmetallic finds like arrowheads, bottles, fossils, gemstones, gold nuggets, minerals, natural history specimens, pottery, prehistoric artifacts, and so on. Be sure and mention that the item you are entering is a "Wild Card" find, so we'll know which category to put it in when the polls go up at the end of the month.

BEST EXPEDITION PHOTO: this category is for the best photograph taken on an outing, be it of people, places, finds, wildlife, etc. Like the "Wild Card" category above, you don't even have to own a metal detector for this one- just a camera! Pictures should be vaguely related to treasure hunting or expeditions/outings of some kind, though. Limit three self nominations per member each month. (You may have more than three entries if somebody else nominates other pictures of yours, though.) Suggested photo size is somewhere around 640x480 if possible, though 800x600 is OK. Photos over 800 pixels wide or tall will be disqualified, at least until they've been suitably downsized (and that is the responsibility of the author, not the pollster). Photos should be given a short title. For example: "Turkeys In The Field, by ASUTodd". (Additional backstory about "who-what-where-why-when" is nice, too, but optional.)

G Man
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    can't wait to see everyones treasure
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Submittal time.. let's go guys and gals.... git 'er done!!! Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    i'd like to submitt my chinese coins, specifically the small one(s) for best foreign.
  • Options
    wildcard: the embossed bottle from this photo. its an 1890's beer from Santa Clara County Bottling co. San Jose
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Relic category: 1830s W.H. Jones & Co. "Superfine" flat button found during the demolition and replacement of a very old brick sidewalk.

The manufacturer may have been in business only during the 1830s, according to the slim information in the Albert button book's backmark index.

I technically found this a few hours before November began (on Halloween evening), but I hope I can squeeze it in.

Full story here

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    expedition photo
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For best US coin here is the 1950 Wheatie I found on 11/15. It was about 9 inches deep in the back field of a relatively old school in San Jose, CA. Sorry, this is the best I could come up with...I've only been out once this month.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this with my Bounty Hunter Landstar and thought i'd enter it in best non-US category.It's a Russian 5 Kopeks,1803.

I was totally surprised to see this come out of a yard i was hunting today.It is the oldest coin i have ever found...and the largest.

You can read more about this find in my "Old Russian coin found in Nebraska yard" thread.

Happy huntingimage

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Hi,

I would like to enter my Disciples of Christ medal (1909) for best relic/other find ...

Bob

PS - I am having trouble attaching the images. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    i'll try and get some pics of some fossils i found early this month

Don't know what they are yet, I've brought them to the university to see if someone knows
  • Options
    TTT
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr1874- that is STUPENDOUS!!!

That's the sort of thing I would expect to see Zot from Finland posting (if he still came around here), but in the USA?

Wow, wow, and wow.

Hats off to you!

Lucky schmuck. image

<< <i> Hi,

I would like to enter my Disciples of Christ medal (1909) for best relic/other find ...

Bob >>

Bob, sorry for the technical difficulties. I don't know what you did wrong, there. You could try uploading them to a free Photobucket account, I suppose, or just try again on the Testing Forum until you get 'em right. Keep trying- I don't see any reason you can't enter your find in next month's polls if you are unable to get the pictures up in time this month, anyway.

Of course participation seems to have dwindled. I would hate to win the Relic category by default, for lack of any other entries. Wintertime is like this sometimes, though, when people are out less.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I'd like to submit for Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: 1918 Buffalo Nickel - Found 2 years ago in my parents back yard.
    Thanks
    Jack
  • Options

<< <i>I'd like to submit for Best Non-U.S. Coin/Token: 1918 Buffalo Nickel - Found 2 years ago in my parents back yard. >>

Sorry Piggybank. The finds to be posted are finds during the month of November 2008. BTW, a Buffalo nickel is a U.S. coin.

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    I have a hunt on my in-laws' farm on Thanksgiving every year. Having had varied success in the past I look forward to swinging the wand and this was the first nice coin that I happened upon. I got a signal that wasn't a typical nickel hit but it was a nice round sound, so I dug it anyway. This V nickel is in the best shape of any that I have found. I haven't cleaned it up too much yet, so it looks a bit rough, but it's a beauty to me. Thanks for looking.

"to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    Sorry BentFork - My mistake.image