Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Why Is Topps Vault Selling Counterfeit Ripken Rookie Cards?

Most collectors (Ripken collectors especially) know that these 1982 Ripken rookie "blank back" cards are counterfeit although Topps Vault is selling one of these sheets on eBay. I suspect that Topps ended up with one of these sheets somewhere and they no longer realize its bogus:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200268590346&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=370102596312&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo=DR&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4
Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.

Comments

• Options
    My mouse can't copy and paste something that long. If a person must refuse to use the link button, Ripken Link

At least, just ignore everything past the first ebay item number...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200268590346
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Wow. Why would they print a sheet of all Rips in the first place? My vote- maybe Topps reprinted his rookie ala Upper Deck and the millions of Upper deck Griffey rookie reprints and these were printers scrap???
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    nobody knowsimage
  • Options
    I guess these were reprints from the auction of 1989. All my error collection sucks now, too bad Topps did not buy Fleer too. just kidding -my collection pre 1986 rocks.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    nobody knows..... the trouble i've seen.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    aint that the truth, still got them jello shots? i did make it last nite, passed out watching vincent priceimage
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    looks like you will be able to buy this one a little cheaper...

Ripken Sheet

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I'm surprised that more wasn't said about this. From where I sit it appears that Topps used their name to make some cash. What I do know is that the auction was "closed early to sell to the high bidder". I did attempt to contact the high bidder but never received a response.

Does anyone know anything else about these sheets? I've seen several listed as coming from a card show but I'd like having something solid to go on.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I have never looked at their items in the past, some interesting stuff, but is any of it worth anything. They claim a lot of them are rare including the "DAM" Marino that I saw. I also wonder if ebay will force them to lower their shipping, which currently stands at $4.00.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Courtesy of Bill Haelig, here is an entry from the 29th edition of Beckett's Baseball Card Price Guide which came out in 2007:

• Options
    xxx
  • Options
    xxx