Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you collect $5 Indians, did you hear about the "Golden Gate Collection" that just surfa

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just finished reading about the hoard in CW, found in an unclaimed safe-deposit box in Florida. Incuded in the group of 262 coins were 111 Uncirculated 1911-S's and a dozen 1916-S's!!! I find it simply amazing when large groups of coins like this surface, hidden away for decades like that one out in Hawaii a few years ago. It tells me that it's a good idea to always have someone who knows about and has access to your bank box, unlike the owner of this group from Venezuela.

Does anyone have more information about this hoard than what was in the article??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Article here for those that dont get the magizine.

"PCGS has placed a special "Golden Gate Collection" description on the encapsulation insert label for the coins it certified from this group."
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, and thanks for posting this! I guess the value of my PCGS MS62 11-S $5
    Indian just took something of a hit. At least I only paid $700+ for it several years ago...
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    That's pretty cool I guess.

What I don't understand is why they are calling the 11-S and 16's dates "rare", they are semi-keys at best.
    The rare dates to me would have been the 09-O, 11-D, and 29.

Still cool nontheless.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmmm..

A guy from South America puts a lot of gold into a safe deposit box in Florida and never returns to claim it.

Hmmmm..

He doesn't tell ANYONE? close to him about it? Hmmmm...

Have a nice day
  • Options
    streeter, you crack me up!!!! i suppose you thought there was something fishy about the Hawaiian hoard of several years ago, you know, the one where the owner actually had it in his Will that it be kept for 80 years before his heirs could release it?? sometimes truth is stranger than fiction and i have no doubt that the details of this find are legitimate.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of this series and completed the $5 series a couple of times. I regret selling my first set and don't have the means to build it correctly again. At least for now.

I would love to cherry pick the best ones from this hoard. An amazing story.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hmmmm..

A guy from South America puts a lot of gold into a safe deposit box in Florida and never returns to claim it.

Hmmmm..

He doesn't tell ANYONE? close to him about it? Hmmmm... >>

Hey! I said Hmmmmm first! image
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Kind of reminds me of those Wells Fargo coins................
  • Options
    what were the Wells Fargo coins??
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's pretty cool I guess.

What I don't understand is why they are calling the 11-S and 16's dates "rare", they are semi-keys at best.
    The rare dates to me would have been the 09-O, 11-D, and 29.

Still cool nontheless. >>

Nothing in that series is rare by my definition. The lowest pop coin has about 300 coins at PCGS. That does not account for the NGC coins, other TPGs, or the raw ones, either.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

<< <i>what were the Wells Fargo coins?? >>

A hoard of 1908 $20 saints that were highly advertised as being found in a bank vault out west. They were said to be in that bank since they were minted. They were highly advertised and over graded by a point or two. Only problem was the story was made up- the bank building itself was only built in the 1960's. The story behind the scenes was the coins came from Russia- not as appealing as the made up story and probably saved all kinds of hassles of getting them in the country and legal issues.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunnywood had a short and succient explanation about 'coins found in dealers junkboxes' and likewise 'coins from unclaimed safety deposit boxes' in his reply to the discovery of the 70-s dime.

I believe DW also had a piece on his site some time ago regarding the 'quiet' entry into the marketplace of a lot of Eastern European gold.

As I was reading the 1983 CDN--I couldn't help but notice the current prices of $5 Indians then and now. 65 Indians then---3-4k. Now 16-20k.

Now SEEMS like a great time to get them little piggies to market.

JMHO, naturally

Have a nice day
  • Options
    Lets hope they dont get overgraded like a lot of other previous hoards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file