Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

all of you autograph sub guys-questions?

i be working on a 52 topps beaseball all autoed set-so
question # 1- to get red flip with grade- in order to get them on the 52 basic registry- i fill out just the regular psa sub form right for 20$ a pop? thats what i am seeing
question #2-i have some psa/dna flips of 52's-it will cost me 20$ a pop for these to if i want with grade,right?
example this blue flip authenitic w no grade to

a 52 red flip with grade so the certs will go in my set
like pee wee here
question # 3- the ones i have already slabbed in red authenic/no grade-does it cost me 20$ to get em with grade?
sorry for so many questions,auto guys will know right off the bat, ive never did a auto sub,just regular cards- and i have over 90-100 raws and dont want to screw up the sub and get 99 vouchers back- ill just do 8 or so raw ones at first after i find out what to do for sure
the crossover from other companies like jsa i know how to do- just crossover with grade for 20$
asking the auto hof guys that do it all the time that can chime in is a whole lot easier than me calling them and trying to explain this over the phone
rube

Comments

• rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    nobody knows anything about subbing autosimage
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    It's been a while since I submitted, but from what I remember:

if you submit to PSA under the value deal, you get the red flip
    if you submit to PSA/DNA, you get the blue flip

From there, the only difference I think is that with the red flip, they grade the card, the blue flip just grades the autograph. I could be wrong though.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Rube,

I just talked to customer service as I'm doing a 100+ card submission next week and asked them about this very issue.

Irregardless of if your cards are already slabbed with the blue flip, you still have to pay the same price to PSA in order to get them in the red flip. In other words, if the autographed card you are sending in is raw, it will cost you $20.00. If the autographed card you are sending in is in a blue PSA/DNA flip, it will still cost you $20.00. (assuming no bulk rate, and card valued at under $500.00)

Doesn't make a whole lotta sense to the consumer not getting at least a small discount for the blue flipped ones, but it is what it is.

Hope this helps,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    thats what i was loking for mike- i figued it was 20 $ again from blue to red
  • Another Question for the experts out there

1) I see there is a special of $10 (instead of the usual $20) for basketball autographed cards right now, Is there ever an Autographed Baseball Card Special?

2) For the other collector doing the 100 card submission, is there ever a bulk discount for autographed cards?

Thanks
    Tim

<< <i>Another Question for the experts out there

1) I see there is a special of $10 (instead of the usual $20) for basketball autographed cards right now, Is there ever an Autographed Baseball Card Special?

2) For the other collector doing the 100 card submission, is there ever a bulk discount for autographed cards?

Thanks
    Tim >>

Tim,

I do not know the answer to #1, but I believe I remember reading that this is the first special for PSA/DNA cards, so that would indicate that no, there has not been an autographed baseball card special.

On your second question, I just sent in a 93 autographed card submission and got a $15 per card rate.

I just PM'd the board mod CarolJ and asked to get the $15 rate and she got it arranged. Just PM her with what you want to pay and the worst she can do is say "No."

Good luck, I hope you get a good deal.

Mike

• Mike:

Just curious why not get all the 93 cards graded and just authentic?
    Seems to me that you might as well get them graded while they are there sine its still the same price?

Tim
    Hi Tim,

I didn't get them graded because for me on the autographed cards, I really couldn't see it enhancing the value. Most of my older cards were mid-grade, so I didn't want to see a whole bunch of 4-6's. Don't get me wrong, some of them are in very nice shape, but they wouldn't allow me to mix some graded and some not graded. Also, some of my cards present very, very well, but they have a technical flaw that doesn't really detract from presentation, but would detract from a number grade. Thus, a very nice looking card might get slabbed a 3 because of a small surface wrinkle. I had to go with all or nothing, and to me, it made the most sense in my mind to go with all Authentic. If for some reason 15 years down the line I decide to sell them, I think I would get more for an autographed mid or low condition card simply graded authentic and PSA/DNA certified as opposed to PSA/DNA certified and then a 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

Take care,

Mike
  • My thought on the issue and I may be wrong is that I think eventually there will be a bigger set registry for all these autographed cards and many subsets of cards. Say a registry of Autographed 1955 Topps Dodgers and therefore the rankings will be done using the grades and all the Authentics will only get a "1" for the points system, so you may have a better set but only get a "1" whereas many of the "4"'s and "5"'s will be higher ranked.

Just my opinion but any thoughts. Personally I only buy ones with grades for this reason.

-Tim

<< <i>My thought on the issue and I may be wrong is that I think eventually there will be a bigger set registry for all these autographed cards and many subsets of cards. Say a registry of Autographed 1955 Topps Dodgers and therefore the rankings will be done using the grades and all the Authentics will only get a "1" for the points system, so you may have a better set but only get a "1" whereas many of the "4"'s and "5"'s will be higher ranked.

Just my opinion but any thoughts. Personally I only buy ones with grades for this reason.

-Tim >>

Those are some good points, and you are probably right in regards to the "registry". However, I've never participated in that aspect of PSA though and don't see myself ever doing that. To me, I get satisfaction knowing that the particular athlete pictured on the card, took a portion of their time (albeit a small one), to sign that card and to hold the signatures of some of the greatest athletes in the world, gives me satisfaction, as it makes it kind of a personal touch.

I don't think I would get nearly the same satisfaction from participating in the registry, as to me, the registry could be won by the people with the biggest bank accounts, and I know I don't stand a chance competing in that regard.

I don't think any of us are really "right" or "wrong" in this regard. What makes collecting so fun is that it is very individualized and each of us have different tastes and desires.

Best of luck with your collection,

Mike
  • Thanks for your opinion!!!